Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 11:29 AM

235 posts, read 157,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
If you don't have a strong income CA isn't really the place you should be going, I am a 22 year LA resident moving to TX shortly. LA has become horrendously expensive. Yeah the weather is great but that isn't going to do you much good if you are struggling with your expenses.
I understand CA is expensive but wages are very low in Texas, which is why I left. I just couldn’t make a living there. Clerical work in Houston only paid like $8-10/hr. I would make over twice that much in LA. I wouldn’t be living in style if I went back, but I would be able to pay the bills. I shouldn’t count my chickens, but $15.00/hour in LA goes farther than $7.25/hr in Texas, even with cost of living differences factored in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 11:31 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,289,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
I understand CA is expensive but wages are very low in Texas, which is why I left. I just couldn’t make a living there. Clerical work in Houston only paid like $8-10/hr. I would make over twice that much in LA. I wouldn’t be living in style if I went back, but I would be able to pay the bills.
You probably need to be in the Tech or Oil Industries in highly skilled jobs to benefit from the cost of living arbitrage in Texas.

Old 07-05-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
You probably need to be in the Tech or Oil Industries in highly skilled jobs to benefit from the cost of living arbitrage in Texas.
Texas is a horrible place for the working class.

Last edited by mistermaggie; 07-05-2020 at 12:05 PM..

Old 07-05-2020, 12:16 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,824,770 times
OP - broaden your horizons and take a look at the property and casualty insurance industry. I don't mean sales positions (and I would stay the hell away from claims) as there are entry level positions that will pay better than minimum wage. Major insurance brokers such as Marsh USA, Aon, Ghallagher and others look for new talent of all sorts. Hiring is slow right now although Ghallagher is looking for support staff in their Glendale office.
https://jobs.ajg.com/jobs/client-ser...ssociate-22520
No insurance license is required but you can always obtain one if needed for other positions. Once you get in a company you can learn more about other types of insurance positions that might interest you such as underwriting, compliance, etc.
May not be the most glamorous work but can be rewarding and satisfying if you find your niche.
Good luck with your search.

Old 07-05-2020, 02:52 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Texas is a horrible place for the working class.
Someone said on another sub-forum here, that the health "benefits" that come w/most TX jobs are really lousy: sky-high deductibles, etc. That person was looking for a job anywhere outside of TX, just to get decent medical coverage.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Someone said on another sub-forum here, that the health "benefits" that come w/most TX jobs are really lousy: sky-high deductibles, etc. That person was looking for a job anywhere outside of TX, just to get decent medical coverage.
Texas has a “low cost of living” but you get what you pay for

Old 07-05-2020, 06:03 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Texas has a “low cost of living” but you get what you pay for
All the 3rd World countries south of TX also have low costs of living. In view of this discussion, I don't think Texans should be bragging about their low COL, lol.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:07 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,311,374 times
Quote:
In 2018 I moved from California to Texas where I had zero luck finding decent, life sustaining employment. I have a BA in Art History. I had mental health issues and my family encouraged me to attend a program in Houston, while the program itself was helpful, there was no opportunity for me there. While the cost of living in Texas is low, wages are horrible making it a tough place to “start over” in. What’s the use of a degree when most basic office work pays $9.00 an hour and your boss is a conservative oilman?

As of now I am staying (not going to say living) with my mom in Iowa. I did not see a point in renewing my lease. I reckon if I go back to California I could probably find something (most likely through a temp agency) that would at least allow me to sustain myself. The only options for work around here is manual labor or retail. I have a gig with the Census Bureau, but work here will only last a couple months.

I was so much happier before I left LA. I wasn’t making much ($20/hour as a secretary/data entry assistant) but it allowed me to create a little nest in Culver City. I don’t see what the alternative is for me.

With the pandemic how long should I wait to make a move like this? Should I go back to LA or maybe try out SF? I am much more familiar with LA but have had many extended visits to SF (which I like more than LA, but is also more expensive). I am looking to move to the area where I have the best hope of landing another full time office job. I just want to get myself “launched” again.
`

In another thread you mentioned that you mentioned that you were transitioning from male to female. For those types of reasons, I agree Texas likely isn't your best choice. The problem in coastal California is that while its socially accepting of people undergoing SRS, the housing costs in these areas are insane and you don't have the types of skills that allow people to afford housing in these areas.

if it were me I would look at either Chicago or Portland or a college town, Portland and Chicago are socially liberal like California, but a lot more affordable, but unions are strong there so you can find work that you can support yourself. The reason I would look at universities is they tend to have great health care coverage that pays for SRS and the communities are also socially really liberal and they can be located in less expensive areas.

Old 07-07-2020, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
`

In another thread you mentioned that you mentioned that you were transitioning from male to female. For those types of reasons, I agree Texas likely isn't your best choice. The problem in coastal California is that while its socially accepting of people undergoing SRS, the housing costs in these areas are insane and you don't have the types of skills that allow people to afford housing in these areas.

if it were me I would look at either Chicago or Portland or a college town, Portland and Chicago are socially liberal like California, but a lot more affordable, but unions are strong there so you can find work that you can support yourself. The reason I would look at universities is they tend to have great health care coverage that pays for SRS and the communities are also socially really liberal and they can be located in less expensive areas.
I was making $10 an hour my first year in LA. I was sleeping in a converted shed in someone’s back yard in West LA. There is cheap housing to be found. It sucked... but I was able to move on after a year into a small efficiency apartment after the first year. I know a ton of transplants in LA working at coffee shops and factories without family support. I’ve done it before and I could do it again.

Old 07-07-2020, 01:36 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,974,055 times
Quote:
I know a ton of transplants in LA working at coffee shops and factories without family support. I’ve done it before and I could do it again.

So do it.

Stop whinning online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California