Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2020, 04:59 PM

783 posts, read 696,271 times

Advertisements

So out of our two major metros, which is more affected by homelessness LA or SF? Is one city worse while the other metro worse? I think these two places are most adversely affected in the country. I don't mean they are the worst places to live. I just think their standing and QOL are held back more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 07:01 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
You apparently haven’t been to Seattle, Honolulu, San Diego, Washington D.C., Portland ...

Old 07-02-2020, 09:31 PM

783 posts, read 696,271 times
They are not as bad as those two. I mean c'mon skid row?

Old 07-02-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
They are not as bad as those two. I mean c'mon skid row?
Sorry, but you have some learning to do it seems.

NYC has the nation’s highest number of homeless ... but most are sheltered.

LA is #2, and has the highest unsheltered homeless population.

Seattle is number 3 in total - and in unsheltered.

San Jose is #4

San Diego is #5

6th place is a virtual tie between: San Francisco; Oakland; Santa Anna / Orange County

Quite closely followed by Phoenix AZ, and Washington D.C.

Then Honolulu also ranks in the top tier of winners.

When you factor by ‘per capita’ certain of those places really jump out at you. Seattle and Honolulu are dismal.

Skid Row in LA, by the way, is home to only less than 1/5th of LA’s homeless population.

I have volunteered for over 30 years with a veteran’s homeless service organization that has had chapters in numerous cities. I lived in San Francisco / Bay Area many years on and off since late 1960’s. Live in San Diego now (in second highest district for homeless population there). Spend summers north of Seattle and have worked with the local vet’s group who manage transitional support housing in the Seattle / Puget Sound region.

Old 07-03-2020, 09:07 AM

8,344 posts, read 6,436,914 times
Homeless are like sacred cows in Los Angeles, they can't do anything wrong. They are a protected class. They can do anything they damn well please.

Old 07-03-2020, 11:02 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,185,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Sorry, but you have some learning to do it seems.

NYC has the nation’s highest number of homeless ... but most are sheltered.

LA is #2, and has the highest unsheltered homeless population.

Seattle is number 3 in total - and in unsheltered.

San Jose is #4

San Diego is #5

6th place is a virtual tie between: San Francisco; Oakland; Santa Anna / Orange County

Quite closely followed by Phoenix AZ, and Washington D.C.

Then Honolulu also ranks in the top tier of winners.

When you factor by ‘per capita’ certain of those places really jump out at you. Seattle and Honolulu are dismal.

Skid Row in LA, by the way, is home to only less than 1/5th of LA’s homeless population.

I have volunteered for over 30 years with a veteran’s homeless service organization that has had chapters in numerous cities. I lived in San Francisco / Bay Area many years on and off since late 1960’s. Live in San Diego now (in second highest district for homeless population there). Spend summers north of Seattle and have worked with the local vet’s group who manage transitional support housing in the Seattle / Puget Sound region.
So the answer is LA. That’s all you had to say instead of your typical condescending lecture

Old 07-03-2020, 11:42 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
I'll bet LA is das kapital of unprovoked, random deadly attacks upon regular working stiffs by mentally deranged and/or drug-crazed homeless beasts.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:09 PM

26,747 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
So the answer is LA. That’s all you had to say instead of your typical condescending lecture
What's condescending about a post from someone who's actually worked with the homeless in multiple cities?

Old 07-03-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I'll bet LA is das kapital of unprovoked, random deadly attacks upon regular working stiffs by mentally deranged and/or drug-crazed homeless beasts.
I don’t know where has the most “random deadly attacks upon regular working stiffs by mentally deranged and/or drug-crazed homeless beasts”. But I do know that the incidence of such is much lower than the reverse: random deadly attacks upon homeless made by non-homeless.

In LA:
Quote:
In the past three years, more homeless have been murdered in Los Angeles than ever before, pushing the West Coast’s housing crisis in a new, sinister direction.

Even as the overall number of homicides across the country has decreased in recent years, in Los Angeles — home to Skid Row and other large-scale homeless encampments — murder rates for those living on the streets rose steadily from 2016 to this year.

While only 1 percent of the city’s sprawling population live on the streets or in shelters, homeless people made up around 17 percent of all homicides this year in Los Angeles, according to the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD)’s report profiled in NPR.

... 42 homeless people were murdered in 2019 — an increase from the previous two years. According to the National Coalition for the Homeless, California also saw the most crimes against homeless people in 2016 and 2017. https://thehill.com/changing-america...or-homeless-in
That number includes homeless murdering homeless. However, thrill crimes of violence against the homeless include over 500 murders nationally since 2011. LA and the west coast lead the nation in these attacks. Here is a report covering “Bias-motivated violence against people experiencing homelessness in 2016-2017”:
https://nationalhomeless.org/wp-cont...l_for-web2.pdf

Gather all stats available covering random murders committed by homeless persons against working stiffs and you will not find anywhere near equivalency. I’ve looked.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
My “lecture” was informative, eh? And you don’t like informative.

Did the inclusion of Phoenix trigger you Finper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California