Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2022, 09:36 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,338,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Back to the multi-millionaire hogwash when it's already been pointed out to you that you wouldn't even need to be a millionaire to buy a home some 20 years ago when you had that opportunity. If you weren't making enough, that's on you. There were opportunities 20 years ago, and there were even opportunities just 10 years ago.

20 years ago was 2002. So what was happening in the California housing market 20 years ago? Oh, it was setting record highs. The median home price in OC was $428K and you can bet that was for less desirable areas while nicer areas were $500K easily. Now in what world do kids in their mid 20s own half million dollar houses? Especially in one of the most expensive states to live in the entire country lol. Just stop already.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...25/daily7.html

Not that I need to give anyone here my life story but I started hating California back in the mid 90s when it started being destroyed by liberal transplants from the east coast and illegals. So much so that I moved to Portland, OR in 1997 and stayed there for two years with no intentions of ever coming back. My grandmothers passing changed that and I had to come back.I hated it even more when I returned and as I said before, there was no way in hell I was ever going to buy property in this state. The ONLY reason I have stayed was for family. Now that the situation has changed, I am getting out as quick as I can. And I will be in a state where I can buy a nice house in a nice area for LESS money than what one cost in California 20 years ago. Let that sink in.

Old 12-18-2022, 10:28 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
Now that the situation has changed, I am getting out as quick as I can. And I will be in a state where I can buy a nice house in a nice area for LESS money than what one cost in California 20 years ago. Let that sink in.
Everyone is aware that there are "nice houses in nice areas for less money than a similar house in California." People who currently live in California aren't all rushing away to buy them because there are many factors in quality of life besides buying an inexpensive house. For one thing, many of us do already own nice houses in nice areas that cost us less than what a similar house somewhere else would today. For another, many people are able to afford expensive houses; for a third, others don't care to buy a house at all at the present time because they are prioritizing other things. But if that is the major drawing factor for you, that is fine and of course I truly wish you well.

Old 12-19-2022, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Everyone is aware that there are "nice houses in nice areas for less money than a similar house in California." People who currently live in California aren't all rushing away to buy them because there are many factors in quality of life besides buying an inexpensive house. For one thing, many of us do already own nice houses in nice areas that cost us less than what a similar house somewhere else would today. For another, many people are able to afford expensive houses; for a third, others don't care to buy a house at all at the present time because they are prioritizing other things. But if that is the major drawing factor for you, that is fine and of course I truly wish you well.
Not just less money than houses in California now, thats a given, less than California home prices 20 years ago. Who are these "many people" who own homes in nice areas of California? This state has the 2nd lowest home ownership rate in the entire country. Thanks for the well wishes.

Old 12-19-2022, 12:32 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,561,780 times
Quote:
20 years ago was 2002. So what was happening in the California housing market 20 years ago? Oh, it was setting record highs. The median home price in OC was $428K and you can bet that was for less desirable areas while nicer areas were $500K easily. Now in what world do kids in their mid 20s own half million dollar houses? Especially in one of the most expensive states to live in the entire country lol. Just stop already.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...25/daily7.html

Not that I need to give anyone here my life story but I started hating California back in the mid 90s when it started being destroyed by liberal transplants from the east coast and illegals. So much so that I moved to Portland, OR in 1997 and stayed there for two years with no intentions of ever coming back. My grandmothers passing changed that and I had to come back.I hated it even more when I returned and as I said before, there was no way in hell I was ever going to buy property in this state. The ONLY reason I have stayed was for family. Now that the situation has changed, I am getting out as quick as I can. And I will be in a state where I can buy a nice house in a nice area for LESS money than what one cost in California 20 years ago. Let that sink in.
No need to go beyond the dollar amount you quoted. Again, what makes you think someone needs to be a multi-millionaire to afford a home in the range you set? Let me know if you want to run the numbers on a mortgage calculator. You really don't seem to understand finances. It's hard for me to imagine you ever ran a business as you claimed.

Old 12-19-2022, 12:35 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,561,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Most coastal metros in the state only the top 5-20% can afford a home which is far below the US average.

In SF even doctors are having trouble affording homes

https://sf.curbed.com/2017/4/12/1527...rs-afford-home
You really need to circle back to the claims the poster was making, which is what my comment was in reference to.

Old 12-19-2022, 06:10 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
This state has the 2nd lowest home ownership rate in the entire country.
You keep repeating this. California never had a high rate of home ownership, even back in the 1940s. California reached its high water mark for homeownership in 1960 at 58%. And Nevada's rate of home ownership isn't that much higher, so I'm not sure I see your point.

https://www2.census.gov/programs-sur.../owner-tab.txt

Old 12-19-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Who are these "many people" who own homes in nice areas of California? This state has the 2nd lowest home ownership rate in the entire country.
"Many people owning homes" and "2nd lowest home ownership rate" are not mutually exclusive. The statements allow for millions of Californians owning homes, which by any standard is many. There are more home owners in California than there are people in 35 other states.

Old 12-19-2022, 09:44 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Look at the header, its an "opinion" piece. Why? Because all he is doing is just writing without any proof of his claims of these emails he supposedly obtained. Where are they? Post them. So they can't run it as fact, because there is no proof of the claims. Thats why its in the opinion section. Typical liberal media stunt.

Is that a serious question? Its a 577 square foot apartment. The expected mortgage on that is $2,440...for a 577 square foot apartment lol. The 1600+ square foot HOUSE in Vegas is $50k cheaper with an expected mortgage of $1,900. Its not even close.

Bump up to the same price as the tiny apartment in OC and you can get a brand new 1,700 square foot remodel in Vegas and the estimated mortgage is STILL nearly $600 less than the apartment.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4.../7054618_zpid/
Did you keep reading after the first sentence? It doesn't seem like a bad place to start for someone's first home, assuming they don't have kids of course.

Old 12-19-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Did you keep reading after the first sentence? It doesn't seem like a bad place to start for someone's first home, assuming they don't have kids of course.
We started in a tiny apartment just like that...only 1/4 mile from the El Toro (Lake Forest) apartment in the link he posted. We were newly married, didn't have kids yet, it was fine.

You step outside the door of that "ugly apartment" and get this lovely view of the Santa Ana mountains (minus the lake, which is a few miles away in Rancho Santa Margarita, where we live now). As outdoor people, my husband and I are more affected by our natural surroundings than by the superficial appearance of a building.
Attached Thumbnails
The Great California Exodus Accelerates-santa-ana-mountains.png  

Old 12-19-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
No need to go beyond the dollar amount you quoted. Again, what makes you think someone needs to be a multi-millionaire to afford a home in the range you set? Let me know if you want to run the numbers on a mortgage calculator. You really don't seem to understand finances. It's hard for me to imagine you ever ran a business as you claimed.

You clearly dont understand COL. Its not JUST the mortgage, its the mortgage ON TOP of the already insanely expensive COL here. Thats why this state has the 2nd lowest number of homeowners in the entire country. I know some here love to pretend everyone is a multi millionaire here and owns their own home, but that couldn't be further from the truth. The vast majority of those in the LA/OC area are living paycheck to paycheck and half the adult population of 39 MILLION are living with roommates. Thats a staggering number and more proof of how ridiculously overpriced this garbage state is.

https://ourweekly.com/news/2021/03/1...ults-live-roo/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You keep repeating this. California never had a high rate of home ownership, even back in the 1940s. California reached its high water mark for homeownership in 1960 at 58%. And Nevada's rate of home ownership isn't that much higher, so I'm not sure I see your point.

https://www2.census.gov/programs-sur.../owner-tab.txt
...and why has California never had a high home ownership rate? Because its too expensive! Thank you, you just proved my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California