Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2023, 09:45 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,562,707 times

Advertisements

Interesting fact:

In the fiscal year of 2022, the state of California collected a total of 280.83 billion U.S. dollars in tax revenue, the highest of any state.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...U.S.%20dollars.

I don't seem to have a calculator handy. Can somebody tell me what percentage $300 million is of $280 billion?

Old 07-27-2023, 09:50 AM

3,269 posts, read 3,930,978 times
I actually live in Orange County California. This isn't an Op Ed.

The taxes, traffic, and homeless people SUCK. My house is paid for, but I hear rent and home prices are ridicules.

Sometimes I wish I had just dropped out of school and lived on a sailboat.

Old 07-27-2023, 09:52 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I see you are in the Sioux Falls SD area. Like so many not truly familiar with California, you are apparently just believing the popular myths about the state. In fact:

Indeed, California has lost more lower- and middle-income adults than higher-income adults: the state's net loss throughout 2020 and 2021 amounted to about 1.4% of higher-income, 1.6% of middle-income, and 2.3% of lower-income Californians. Most residents either stay put or move within the state.Apr 13, 2023

Where Are Californians Going When They Leave the Golden ...

Public Policy Institute of California
. https://www.ppic.org/blog/where-are-...%20the%20state.
Sorry Tulemutt, you're reinforcing my post. The high numbers of lower and middle income adults you are losing add up. Keep in mind, these adults are TAXPAYERS. Yes, losing the high income people work against you as well, but even using your logic (of which I concur) the losing of the high numbers in the middle income and below taxpayers are what is really going to hurt the most.

Keep this in mind. The lower and middle income people are what's holding together your many less afluent neighborhoods. When they move out, look with what you're stuck with.

Old 07-27-2023, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Sorry Tulemutt, you're reinforcing my post. The high numbers of lower and middle income adults you are losing add up. Keep in mind, these adults are TAXPAYERS. Yes, losing the high income people work against you as well, but even using your logic (of which I concur) the losing of the high numbers in the middle income and below taxpayers are what is really going to hurt the most.

Keep this in mind. The lower and middle income people are what's holding together your many less afluent neighborhoods. When they move out, look with what you're stuck with.
Hmmm?...."Unfortunately for California, most the people leaving are not the impoverished"

Old 07-27-2023, 10:06 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Why is that disturbing?

California did without term limits for the Governor for 140 years.
You can't be serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
And the passing of term limits happened in the same year that another Republican Governor was elected.
What does that have to do with anything?

Old 07-27-2023, 10:09 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Hmmm?...."Unfortunately for California, most the people leaving are not the impoverished"
Having trouble understanding the obvious? The low and middle INCOME (accent on INCOME) people are---working taxpayers. The impoverished is the leftovers you get to keep and add to your unemployment rolls that California is so proud of. Keep in mind that the unemployment rate that's published is those people supposedly still actively looking for a job. It no longer counts those that don't want a job. If a true labor participation rate was applied, California's figures would jump off the charts.

https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm

Old 07-27-2023, 10:09 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
It's unfortunate that you can't defend your opinion without making disparaging comments about someone else.

Old 07-27-2023, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Having trouble understanding the obvious? The low and middle INCOME (accent on INCOME) people are---working taxpayers. The impoverished is the leftovers you get to keep and add to your unemployment rolls that California is so proud of. Keep in mind that the unemployment rate that's published is those people supposedly still actively looking for a job. It no longer counts those that don't want a job. If a true labor participation rate was applied, California's figures would jump off the charts.

https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm
Not at all. If you're simply looking at income numbers without respect to the COL of any area, you can fool yourself into thinking lower income (and some middle income) don't fall into the category of impoverished, but they are indeed in the major metroplexes in CA. That's actually the obvious for those that live in the state. Tulemutt didn't defend your position at all.

One of many examples....

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/100000-...es-low-income/

Old 07-27-2023, 10:19 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It's unfortunate that you can't defend your opinion without making disparaging comments about someone else.
It’s not like that is the only time it’s happened. I see it a lot on cd, especially in the California forums. That poster is not The only one.

Old 07-27-2023, 10:32 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I actually live in Orange County California. This isn't an Op Ed.

The taxes, traffic, and homeless people SUCK. My house is paid for, but I hear rent and home prices are ridicules.

Indeed. It couldn’t have done anything but improve you as you represent yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California