Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Kevin Paffrath vs Gavin Newsom
Kevin Paffrath (MeetKevin) 35 45.45%
Gavin Newsom 42 54.55%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 08:44 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
More and more I think he (Elder) is the guy who state Democrats want to be Newsom's rival. There was an op-ed today that hints at that:

[i]"A Newsom loss and a Faulconer win would be a double dose of bad news for the state’s Democratic Party because of all the Republican candidates, he would have the best chance of winning a full term in 2022. The model for a Faulconer governorship could be Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger, who became governor after Democrat Gray Davis was recalled in 2003. Initially, Schwarzenegger and Democratic legislators quarreled, but eventually they developed a workable rapport – much to the dismay of conservative Republicans — and Schwarzenegger easily won a full term in 2006.

The author also pointed out something I've been saying forever about the emergency powers the current governor wields. Basically, the state legislature will be all but forced to rescind those powers no matter who replaces Newsom if he loses the recall. In doing so, it will be a tacit admission that the current governor has been acting under a made up premise for months, if not longer. It's going to be a bad look when the day the new guy takes power, they reel back in all the extension of power they lent to Newsom without a care for what he'd do with them.
Larry Elder is not someone who most of us want to see sworn in as Governor. There's a big difference between Elder and Schwarzenegger. I think it would be impossible for a veto proof majority to work with Larry Elder, I mean where do they start, give him the authority to fire 5-7% of our teachers or agree to remove all mask mandates? I'm sure you know who Dan Walters is, he's certainly not a fan of liberal politicians and has become more conservative over the past few decades. Here's his take on what would happen if Elder wins: https://www.ivpressonline.com/open/w...736e3f95a.html

Last edited by 2sleepy; 08-15-2021 at 08:57 PM..

Old 08-15-2021, 08:56 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,448,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Larry Elder is not someone who most of us want to see sworn in as Governor. There's a big difference between Elder and Schwarzenegger. I think it would be impossible for a veto proof majority to work with Larry Elder, I mean where do they start, give him the authority to fire 5-7% of our teachers or agree to remove all mask mandates?

It's all bluster. I don't buy any of his tough talk. It's just like you said, if the legislature is going to just block anything he attempts, it won't amount to anything anyway. And we already covered E/Os which are limited and can't make statutory changes to law (which Newsom violated btw).

But all that aside, who would you need to see on the ballot to change your presumable 'no' on the recall vote? I'm a broken record, I admit, but it's worth repeating that none of the top picks are going to pull votes from the middle from anyone who is inclined to vote against the recall and keeping Newsom in the first place. So the replacement candidate isn't a factor in the bulk of the voting. Agree? It's a math question and if the polls are correct, it's a close race where Newsom might be recalled by as little as 51% or might survive by a similar number. Faulconer is the most moderate candidate of the players, and I know you don't like him.

So, just as a mental exercise for fun, who would you prefer in this race if you had no choice but to vote to recall the current guy?

Old 08-15-2021, 09:01 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
It's all bluster. I don't buy any of his tough talk. It's just like you said, if the legislature is going to just block anything he attempts, it won't amount to anything anyway. And we already covered E/Os which are limited and can't make statutory changes to law (which Newsom violated btw).

But all that aside, who would you need to see on the ballot to change your presumable 'no' on the recall vote? I'm a broken record, I admit, but it's worth repeating that none of the top picks are going to pull votes from the middle from anyone who is inclined to vote against the recall and keeping Newsom in the first place. So the replacement candidate isn't a factor in the bulk of the voting. Agree? It's a math question and if the polls are correct, it's a close race where Newsom might be recalled by as little as 51% or might survive by a similar number.

So, just as a mental exercise for fun, who would you prefer in this race if you had no choice but to vote to recall the current guy?
Sure, if I knew that Newsom would lose the recall I would vote for Kevin Faulconer. I don't agree with all of his policies but he knows how government works and he's not crazy

Old 08-15-2021, 09:14 PM

130,099 posts, read 12,078,224 times
Quote:
Sure, if I knew that Newsom would lose the recall I would vote for Kevin Faulconer. I don't agree with all of his policies but he knows how government works and he's not crazy
Whether you vote yes or no to the recall, you still get to vote on who you think the replacement should be. I can't see myself voting for Elder or Falkner. Both parties have shot themselves in the foot, by not presenting a decent, middle of the road candidate, & helping them .

Old 08-15-2021, 09:36 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
More and more I think he (Elder) is the guy who state Democrats want to be Newsom's rival. There was an op-ed today that hints at that:

"A Newsom loss and a Faulconer win would be a double dose of bad news for the state’s Democratic Party because of all the Republican candidates, he would have the best chance of winning a full term in 2022. The model for a Faulconer governorship could be Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger, who became governor after Democrat Gray Davis was recalled in 2003. Initially, Schwarzenegger and Democratic legislators quarreled, but eventually they developed a workable rapport – much to the dismay of conservative Republicans — and Schwarzenegger easily won a full term in 2006.
Conversely, were Elder to top the field and succeed Newsom, the Capitol would be tied up in knots for more than a year as he attempted to impose his will and Democrats thwarted him at every turn."
Definitely, they were afraid of Faulconer coming into this because they figured he had the best chance being a moderate Republican. Elder is much easier to pick apart and demonize.

Gavin Newsom's chief recall strategist has tweeted the same photo 151 times. Is it working?

Quote:
The author also pointed out something I've been saying forever about the emergency powers the current governor wields. Basically, the state legislature will be all but forced to rescind those powers no matter who replaces Newsom if he loses the recall. In doing so, it will be a tacit admission that the current governor has been acting under a made up premise for months, if not longer. It's going to be a bad look when the day the new guy takes over, they reel back in all the extension of power they lent to Newsom without a care for what he'd do with it.
Unfortunately most won't care or really even realize it I bet, certainly not his supporters.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
You asked for recent data regarding his policies, I provided that. Make whatever you want of it, but it's a little silly to try to make this guy look like anything other than what he is, a very conservative right winger with some whack ideas.
Yeah because you asked why I didn't say anything about it, as if I should have been calling those polices out or something. I thought you were going to share something more controversial than that. We have different definitions of "very conservative right winger" not surprisingly. I personally wouldn't put someone pro-vaccine and who believes Biden won the election in that category.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Whether you vote yes or no to the recall, you still get to vote on who you think the replacement should be. I can't see myself voting for Elder or Falkner. Both parties have shot themselves in the foot, by not presenting a decent, middle of the road candidate, & helping them .
How is Faulconer not middle of the road policy wise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California