Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Kevin Paffrath vs Gavin Newsom
Kevin Paffrath (MeetKevin) 35 45.45%
Gavin Newsom 42 54.55%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 12:03 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Well, unfortunately, I think the vast majority of people are unaware of the level of corruption that's circulated just around the recall process/changing the rulees and all that chicanery has flown beneath their radar. I get being desensitized to it but you tend to support the governor more than I do anyway so that's the difference in our opinions.

But this isn't normal sleaziness. This is textbook banana republic stuff.
A. You keep calling sleazy, legal, maneuvering: corruption. It’s not. It’s sleazy, perfectly legal, maneuvering. Which is what politicians do.

B. I haven’t voiced any particular support for Newsom that I recall. But, yeah, I don’t particularly mind him much either. He’s just another creepy, sleazy, smarmy, slimy politician in a tradition of the same that goes back thousands of years.

C. I’m with 2sleepy on ‘banana republic stuff being way over the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by visual_snacks View Post
Apparently this is business as usual, nothing to see here. But Trump farts in Russia's direction and he's dog whistling to white supremacists sleeper cells. The level of complacency with out in the open corruption is sad.
It IS “business as usual.” And for comparative study, you might look particularly at your hero, DT Trump’s entire administration. It’s not “corruption” if it’s legal. Period. Slippery, slimy, eye-rolling - sure.

Old 07-16-2021, 01:03 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times
Here are some bits from The Sacramento Bee about the candidate Larry Elder. I don't think he has a chance this time, but he might win at the next election. I would vote for him. Copy and paste, I hope I won't get in trouble with our censors.

Elder contends the rising violence is the result of a decrease in policing that has occurred in light of recent protests against policy brutality.

“It starts with not bad-mouthing the cops trying to do their freaking jobs,” Elder said. “Much of police work is discretionary. If you’re driving around and you see something that’s suspicious, why should you get out of the car and wade into this if people are going to take their cell phones and accuse you of systemic racism?”

The result of more cautionary policing is leading to more crime against Black and brown people, Elder said.

Left-wing policies around environmental regulations make it harder to build and drive up taxes, Elder said, leading to a serious homeless problem that burdens taxpayers.

“It’s not fair to taxpayers, it’s not fair to (the homeless). Some percentage of them are schizophrenic, by that I mean a danger to themselves or to others... they need to be physically removed, and housed somewhere for their own good. The rest of them are probably alcoholics, or drug addicts, and they need to be treated,” he said.

“The people who are victimized are the very people the left wing claims that they care about,” he added. “It’s just BS, and I’m going to do something about it.”

Old 07-16-2021, 03:01 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If your goal here is to get people riled up over this so that they will vote to recall Newsom, I think you're wasting your time. We lived through 4 years of Trump where people who had never tried a case were given lifetime appointments as federal judges, a sycophant was appointed to run the post office with marching orders to slow the mail down, and an AG who lied and withheld information in order to protect Trump, and where the President engaged in so much gaslighting people started to confuse it with reality.

I think most of us are pretty much numb right now and not prepared to march in the streets because Newsom appointed a replacement for Harris.

Just for the record, I have no goals here other than to kill some time. That out of the way, I actually agree with you. People have become so numb to this, the expectation that politics and government is inherently corrupt, that they'll excuse it along partisan lines. It's too bad, really. We'll never break the cycle at this point. Also, I know Trump is a great left boogeyman, but this behavior all pre-dates his presidency. This is hundreds of years in the making.

This recall should be a wake up call to the voting public but it won't be. The governor is proving he can cheat in full view of everyone, with the majority legislature complicit in the deed, and nobody gives a flying fork. When he beats the recall, it will just further cement that this is how it's to be forever. The saddest part of all this is the only ones who benefit from it are the usual suspects/monied elites.

Old 07-16-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
"banana republic stuff"? that is way over the top

Why? Changing election rules as the election is in motion is straight from the playbook of every massively corrupt government across the globe. If you control the vote, you control the people. You're just not willing to admit that this is wrong because you happen to favor the current guy doing it. Someday your own ox may be the one being gored though....

Old 07-16-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
A. You keep calling sleazy, legal, maneuvering: corruption. It’s not. It’s sleazy, perfectly legal, maneuvering. Which is what politicians do.

Well, no. If it was all on the up and up and completely clear, there would be no litigation being sought to answer some of the deeper legal questions. That much is pure fact. Also, you're missing the point about the order of operations. This isn't the first time Newsom acted on something, was informed it was questionably (or outright) illegal, and had to run to the state legislature to rewrite the laws to reshape and re-frame those actions as legal. That's corrupt at its core. You and I disagree on the conclusion but it's beyond dispute that *that's* what's been going on with the rule changes for the recall election and stuff like Padilla's appointment.

Which other sitting governor is doing stuff like that? None. This isn't just "oh well, whadya know a politician lied" which is what politicians do. It's more than that.

Old 07-16-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Here are some bits from The Sacramento Bee about the candidate Larry Elder. I don't think he has a chance this time, but he might win at the next election. I would vote for him.

None of the replacement candidates are going to push the 'no' recall votes to 'yes' and without that trigger, the numbers will never pencil out as no matter who's running. Step one has to be firing Newsom and until his support dwindles beyond the 50% threshold, there's no second half of the game.

Now, had Newsom and his henchmen not aggressively made it clear to big name Democrats that they'd be on "the list" if they ran against him, the story might be different. But Newsom doesn't want a real election just like he didn't want to face off against a fellow Democrat in 2018 either.

Larry Elder doesn't check the right boxes to tip the scales here. None of the section B candidates do.

Old 07-16-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Well, no. If it was all on the up and up and completely clear, there would be no litigation being sought to answer some of the deeper legal questions. That much is pure fact. Also, you're missing the point about the order of operations. This isn't the first time Newsom acted on something, was informed it was questionably (or outright) illegal, and had to run to the state legislature to rewrite the laws to reshape and re-frame those actions as legal. That's corrupt at its core. You and I disagree on the conclusion but it's beyond dispute that *that's* what's been going on with the rule changes for the recall election and stuff like Padilla's appointment.

Which other sitting governor is doing stuff like that? None. This isn't just "oh well, whadya know a politician lied" which is what politicians do. It's more than that.
Joosoon, you strike me as a grown adult who is well educated and been around a while. You can’t really be blind to the history of the world for all the ages since the dawn of the Neolith. Court challenges to maneuvering are part of the game too. Challenges and conflicting rulings and overturns and appeals and and and and …

Texas just passed new voter regulations to manipulate in the GOP’s favor. The state dems flew the coop to try and stop … didn’t work. Do you think there will be any challenges forthcoming? Was that hijack on the up and up and perfectly legal and clear? Was it corrupt? Was it … blah blah blah … games politicians play. Whatareyagonnadoboutit?

Old 07-16-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Whatareyagonnadoboutit?

Vote against the ones perpetrating it as best I can.
I get what you're saying. It bothers me. You're content to write it off as inevitable. Maybe someday I'll throw up my hands the same too. One thing I think we can agree on here is that Newsom beating the recall will mean bragging rights for him. I'm pretty sure when he flies, he has to buy the whole row to accommodate his ego.

Old 07-16-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Vote against the ones perpetrating it as best I can.
I get what you're saying. It bothers me. You're content to write it off as inevitable. Maybe someday I'll throw up my hands the same too. One thing I think we can agree on here is that Newsom beating the recall will mean bragging rights for him. I'm pretty sure when he flies, he has to buy the whole row to accommodate his ego.
Pretty much a big ‘roger that’.

“Content”? I am pretty ‘content’ in life in general … and I’d say that certainly spills over to my political observations. Which is not to say I think it’s all fine. It’s not fine. And even I sometimes am willing to resist hijinks … by voting and opining where I think I might have some effect. Mostly though, I focus on ways to be content in spite of homo sapiens’ brain-dead antics. We’re a fun to know bunch even if we are a bunch of narcissistic monkeys that can read and think we’re a super duper clever lot.

Newsom makes my skin crawl … if I pay much attention. So I try not to.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:54 PM

316 posts, read 130,917 times
Quote:

Newsom makes my skin crawl … if I pay much attention. So I try not to.
Are you sure? Haven't seen any criticism besides a "oh those politicians!" . And youve responded quite a few times for not caring or paying attention. And I somehow got Trump assigned as my hero, lol what? Strange, cooky, strongly biased behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California