Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Kevin Paffrath vs Gavin Newsom
Kevin Paffrath (MeetKevin) 35 45.45%
Gavin Newsom 42 54.55%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 07:52 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Well, 1.7M registered voters said otherwise. The recall needs no other justification as per state law.
1.7 million isn’t really at all impressive out of over 22 million registered voters. His approval rating doesn’t run anywhere near as high an inverse ratio. So, yeah, it qualifies for this expensive charade. But it doesn’t make a lick of good sense. When was the last time you saw any major position election in the 80% range for the winner? There are always going to be at least 40% of disappointed voters. 1.7 mill. is what … about 7 or 8% of 22 mill? Phbbbt.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:17 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
1.7 million isn’t really at all impressive out of over 22 million registered voters.
It certainly isn't.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:28 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
The DMV registers everyone who shows up there including illegal aliens. How many actually vote?

Old 07-22-2021, 10:02 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Larry Elder, a hardcore conservative who wrote the editorial "Why Trump deserves four more years," must be feeling really good right now. Normally he wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in a regular election against any Democrat. But in a recall all he has to do is hope 50% plus 1 votes to take Newsom out, and even with his 16% paltry polling, he wins if he's the highest alternative candidate.

If Elder wins we could end up with the ridiculous result where only 16% of the population voted for him. He would become a vastly unpopular short-term lame duck governor once the voters realized what they've done.

On the other hand, having Elder in front helps Newsom. All he has to do is flood the airwaves and social media with anti-Elder spots. "Keep me in office or you're going to get this totally pro-Trump guy."
I had never heard of Larry Elder before he decided to run in the recall. I would have expected Faulconer to be in the lead. Faulconer is probably the only one who could get anything done with a majority Democratic state senate and assembly and I'm not sure they would go out of their way to accommodate him either.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:23 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
The DMV registers everyone who shows up there including illegal aliens. How many actually vote?
22 million registered and 17.8 million voted in the last presidential election

Old 07-22-2021, 10:24 PM

50,277 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Larry Elder, a hardcore conservative who wrote the editorial "Why Trump deserves four more years," must be feeling really good right now. Normally he wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in a regular election against any Democrat. But in a recall all he has to do is hope 50% plus 1 votes to take Newsom out, and even with his 16% paltry polling, he wins if he's the highest alternative candidate.

If Elder wins we could end up with the ridiculous result where only 16% of the population voted for him. He would become a vastly unpopular short-term lame duck governor once the voters realized what they've done.

On the other hand, having Elder in front helps Newsom. All he has to do is flood the airwaves and social media with anti-Elder spots. "Keep me in office or you're going to get this totally pro-Trump guy."
He's a minority with some good ideas. Does that ruffle your feathers?

Old 07-22-2021, 11:07 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
I have never cared for Newsom since his time of being mayor of SF. But, I did not sign the recall petition. I don't think whatever he has done or not done rises to the level to justify a recall......run somebody against Newsom, who electable, in 2022.
What would he do to rise to the level you think he should be recalled? I mean the guy is laying a trail of destruction where ever he goes. I can’t think of one thing he’s done to improve life for Ca citizens. Are you all just so used to bad politicians your red line is that low?

Old 07-23-2021, 06:00 AM

118 posts, read 66,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
What would he do to rise to the level you think he should be recalled? I mean the guy is laying a trail of destruction where ever he goes. I can’t think of one thing he’s done to improve life for Ca citizens. Are you all just so used to bad politicians your red line is that low?
And he just invited all homeless to the state to be taken care of. What could go wrong? Get ready for a huge spike in crime and taxation to feed the nation’s homeless.

“California Gov. Gavin Newsom pledged to house and feed the world’s homeless population this week during a whirlwind “Comeback California” tour that is designed to stave off a September recall by angry voters.

…Newsom held a press conference Monday pledging $12 billion to combat homelessness on top of billions that have already been spent. People will be taken care of, and anyone who wants to avail themselves to the California dream is welcome, he said in response to a reporter who asked whether he expected the nation’s homeless to descend upon California with this new expenditure.“

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.ya...110000209.html

Old 07-23-2021, 08:35 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,452,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
1.7 million isn’t really at all impressive out of over 22 million registered voters. His approval rating doesn’t run anywhere near as high an inverse ratio. So, yeah, it qualifies for this expensive charade. But it doesn’t make a lick of good sense. When was the last time you saw any major position election in the 80% range for the winner? There are always going to be at least 40% of disappointed voters. 1.7 mill. is what … about 7 or 8% of 22 mill? Phbbbt.

The only point is in bold.
It qualifies. One guy on the internet saying they don't believe Newsom has done anything to deserve being recalled vs. the requisite number of registered voters who do is an even simpler math problem: 1.7M > 1, correct?

There's no other requirement to initiate a recall. If it doesn't make a lick of sense, change the rules of how recalls work. It's not like Newsom and legislature aren't doing that already as this is happening, right?

Old 07-23-2021, 08:36 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,165,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
He's a minority with some good ideas. Does that ruffle your feathers?
With only 16% support he certainly is a "minority." He doesn't ruffle my feathers as much as this highly flawed recall process does.

It takes a 2/3rds vote for the Senate to remove the president. At the very least we should do the same here and raise the recall vote threshold from 50% to 67%. Recalls should be rare and only be done when there is strong majority support for it, not by a narrow 51-49 result.

Last edited by Elliott_CA; 07-23-2021 at 08:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California