Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 03:15 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,688,415 times

Advertisements

How about Oakland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 07:49 PM

130 posts, read 161,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburdier515 View Post
Our family is relocating to the Bay area from Bonney Lake, Washington but we really want to live in the SoCal area. I am wondering if there are any recommendations for commuting to the Bay Area from the Riverside, Corona area? Flights seem expensive, train is long as heck, and the 6.5 hour drive might be too brutal.

If we do stay in the bay area, we were looking at the Tracy Hills area. My office will be in Fremont so I know this is a little ways out but we'd like to be able to purchase a new home like we had in WA. Are there other areas we should look at? We're looking for 4-5 bd/3000+sq ft home, modern, diverse community, good schools, and a little nightlife.

Any advice would be great!

TIA!
Look into the new homes at Fresno. Riverside is very nice and the downtown has changed alot with new futuristic main library when I was there this January. Personally a tad bit jealous as when I used to live in Palo Alto it not as nice or new looking as Riverside. I have sold my home as the million dollar mortgage was just annoying and a year ago bought a home out in Riverstone (Fresno) paid for in cash. Best decision ever. Fresno metro area will be closer to Silicon Valley. Also checkout the Park Place part of Fresno new homes and mini rodeo drive/santana row.

maybe see if your employer can do remote most days and pay for flights from fresno airport southwest/the new cheap avelo airline etc.

At this current moment, I know of these 3 new cities/communities being built in the Fresno area. Overall I am not selling my home anytime soon if development continues then property values go up.

Friant Ranch
Tesoro Viejo
Riverstone

Also
The Residences at The Row
(I talked to them and they said they are 100% booked)
https://goo.gl/maps/cUzVCC5kh6hARTM2A

Old 05-24-2021, 08:00 AM

83 posts, read 95,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchingsinc View Post
Look into the new homes at Fresno. Riverside is very nice and the downtown has changed alot with new futuristic main library when I was there this January. Personally a tad bit jealous as when I used to live in Palo Alto it not as nice or new looking as Riverside. I have sold my home as the million dollar mortgage was just annoying and a year ago bought a home out in Riverstone (Fresno) paid for in cash. Best decision ever. Fresno metro area will be closer to Silicon Valley. Also checkout the Park Place part of Fresno new homes and mini rodeo drive/santana row.

maybe see if your employer can do remote most days and pay for flights from fresno airport southwest/the new cheap avelo airline etc.

At this current moment, I know of these 3 new cities/communities being built in the Fresno area. Overall I am not selling my home anytime soon if development continues then property values go up.

Friant Ranch
Tesoro Viejo
Riverstone

Also
The Residences at The Row
(I talked to them and they said they are 100% booked)
https://goo.gl/maps/cUzVCC5kh6hARTM2A
Here’s a counter perspective:

I lived in fresno for four years on fig loop. As nice as it was to own a home for relatively cheap, there was very limited things to do. Few decent parks which cost money to get in, zero attractions outside of the zoo (amazing zoo), and some other novelties that you’ll only do a couple times in your life (shenzen, underground gardens, etc), no downtown, consumerism hell (Walmart and a gas station in every corner), very foggy clammy winters, not close to anything.

I bought a home in riverside cash a few months ago and I’ve never been more stimulated. I’m walkingn3x as much as in fresno. Actively biking as there are real bike lanes. Hiking in the city, experiencing a wonderful downtown and good vibes, more fit people and phenomenal weather. In 4 years I went to pismo area twice as it was an2.5 hour drive each way. In 4 months I’ve gone to the beach 5 times and it’s a one hour drive. I’ll be hopping over to la to hit up universal studios regularly and down to San Diego for their vibrant city and world class zoo. The lifestyle difference (if you can afford the difference) is wildly improved in riverside IMO.

Don’t mean to rag on fresno. If you’re older and slowing down or have kids and focused on raising them in an nice home then fresno will be good.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:29 AM

22,050 posts, read 9,632,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburdier515 View Post
Our family is relocating to the Bay area from Bonney Lake, Washington but we really want to live in the SoCal area. I am wondering if there are any recommendations for commuting to the Bay Area from the Riverside, Corona area? Flights seem expensive, train is long as heck, and the 6.5 hour drive might be too brutal.

If we do stay in the bay area, we were looking at the Tracy Hills area. My office will be in Fremont so I know this is a little ways out but we'd like to be able to purchase a new home like we had in WA. Are there other areas we should look at? We're looking for 4-5 bd/3000+sq ft home, modern, diverse community, good schools, and a little nightlife.

Any advice would be great!

TIA!
No one WANTS to live in Riverside or Corona.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:36 AM

10,398 posts, read 8,634,072 times
I’m still trying to figure out what in riverside makes this whole concept worthwhile.

Old 05-25-2021, 07:08 PM

4,345 posts, read 6,318,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I’m still trying to figure out what in riverside makes this whole concept worthwhile.
Exactly. If the whole reason is buy something cheaper, you can get that in a lot closer proximity to the Bay Area. Still not fun from a commute standpoint, but maybe somewhat feasible if you don't have to go in every day.

Old 05-25-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Exactly. If the whole reason is buy something cheaper, you can get that in a lot closer proximity to the Bay Area. Still not fun from a commute standpoint, but maybe somewhat feasible if you don't have to go in every day.
I can’t speak for op but the IE is significantly better than the Central Valley. So while there may be cheaper homes in Stockton or Manteca you are in a really blah area with a considerable commute to the Bay Area. The ie has perfect winter weather so while the Central Valley is basically shut down in the winter (cold, fog) its 67 and sunny in riverside. Beach and mountain access is considerably better as well. Outside of Sacramento there is really limited culture in the valley, civic pride, entertainment, etc.

Old 05-25-2021, 07:21 PM

4,345 posts, read 6,318,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogoowoo View Post
I can’t speak for op but the IE is significantly better than the Central Valley. So while there may be cheaper homes in Stockton or Manteca you are in a really blah area with a considerable commute to the Bay Area. The ie has perfect winter weather so while the Central Valley is basically shut down in the winter (cold, fog) its 67 and sunny in riverside. Beach and mountain access is considerably better as well. Outside of Sacramento there is really limited culture in the valley, civic pride, entertainment, etc.
Hmm, I'd rather live in the Sacramento suburbs (places like Davis or Folsom) vs the IE. Not speaking for the rest of the valley, but I think most people in the Bay Area would consider Sacramento vs anything else in that area.

Old 05-25-2021, 09:25 PM

37,307 posts, read 39,695,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogoowoo View Post

So go with Sacramento then where there are some positive trade-offs with similar price points, and in the OP's case, wouldn't require nearly as mind-numbing a commute.

Stockton can be pretty neat. Wish that university there were a bit bigger and better and that freeway south of downtown were replaced with something more useful.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-25-2021 at 09:38 PM..

Old 05-25-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
So go with Sacramento then where there are some positive trade-offs with similar price points, and in the OP's case, wouldn't require nearly as mind-numbing a commute.

Stockton can be pretty neat. Wish that university there were a bit bigger and better and that freeway south of downtown were replaced with something more useful.
Oh I agree. I would never ever consider living anywhere in SoCal or even south of fresno for that matter and commute to Bay Area. Sacramento does seem like decent value (much better weather and entertainment than the rest of the valley)I would love to know ops reasoning, and why they don’t try and find work in SoCal if that’s their heart’s desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California