Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 06:55 PM

131 posts, read 51,603 times

Advertisements

California's basically ground zero for the new neo-feudalism:

https://joelkotkin.com/neo-feudalism-in-california/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2022, 08:12 AM

26,748 posts, read 26,841,237 times
"Of the most expensive places for renters in the U.S., three California cities are in the top five, according to a recent report by the listing portal Rent. But they aren’t where you’d expect.

After Jersey City, N.J., and Boston, Palo Alto is the third-most-expensive city for rentals in the United States, followed by Glendale and Santa Monica. San Diego is ninth on the list, while Newport Beach came in at 10th. Los Angeles and San Francisco are in the next tier, at 12th and 13th, respectively.

Mike Van Gorder, a former member of the Glendale Tenants Union who ran for City Council in 2017, said construction of new luxury apartments is one reason for the lack of affordable housing in the city.

He said more than a dozen affordable housing units were torn down to build a parking lot for Glendale Community College’s Garfield campus.

“If people want their kids to be able to earn their own independence, then at some point, you’re going to have to prioritize creating new options on your streets,” he said. “Each suburb needs to have lower-income apartment buildings because otherwise, we’re going to end up in a scenario where the only people buying houses are private equity firms...”

‘I was in shock’: California rents are spiking:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...re-youd-expect

Old 08-15-2022, 10:03 AM

7,192 posts, read 9,329,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I am originally from Germany and spent lots of my youth there alternating every few years between there and California.

I got to say Germans do a lot of stuff right.
Their educational system makes what we do here comical, same with their medical situation.
They understand that you need to be serious about hard work and getting things done.
They also enjoy 10-12 weeks of holiday per year to chill from that.
They understand that a strong healthy middle class is good for all.

When I want to do something/anything (even recipes) I look at what other people are doing and cherry pick what would work best for me.

I don’t know how our government does it but they seem like they didn’t get that memo .
I agree with you.

I spent time working in Germany and the employees of my firm in Germany were very happy campers. They never worked more than 40 hours per week but were very productive. Also, they got the whole month of August off for vacations.

I makes me wonder who really won the war?

Old 08-17-2022, 03:50 AM

817 posts, read 629,947 times
At least California has one of the highest minimum wages in the country to somewhat offset the high cost of living along with social programs to help low income renters and families, there's also statewide rent control which prevents greedy landlords from increasing rents. It's worse in other states that have crappy low wages and where renters are treated like second class citizens. Take a look at Arkansas for example where renters have no protections and can be thrown out onto the street for any reason an individual landlord sees fit

Old 08-17-2022, 06:16 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,568,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
At least California has one of the highest minimum wages in the country to somewhat offset the high cost of living along with social programs to help low income renters and families, there's also statewide rent control which prevents greedy landlords from increasing rents. It's worse in other states that have crappy low wages and where renters are treated like second class citizens. Take a look at Arkansas for example where renters have no protections and can be thrown out onto the street for any reason an individual landlord sees fit
Yawn. Back to the "greed" nonsense. Do you not look after your own self interests? Is it the landlord who's greedy when he attempts to rent out a unit to a willing buyer under no duress? Or is it the buyer who's greedy because he wants to have rents from 3 years ago?

Old 08-17-2022, 08:16 AM

1,108 posts, read 529,654 times
Maybe you all should look at why apartments and multi family building are not being built. I have invested in REIT and its been 15 years for struggle to get a housing project approved due to all the crap from the city, state, fed agencies, fees and massive requirements for green built areas, a school, parks, environmental studies one after another because some ass does not want the area developed. I can go on and on. And then you people accuse developers of greed!

Old 08-17-2022, 08:29 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,974,055 times
Quote:
At least California has one of the highest minimum wages in the country to somewhat offset the high cost of living along with social programs to help low income renters and families, there's also statewide rent control which prevents greedy landlords from increasing rents.
You just stated reasons why California has one of highest rent in the nation.

You guys don't get it. The more State impose regulations and "rent control" measures, the more landlords will charge higher rent in order to make staying in this business worth the risks.

Old 08-17-2022, 09:22 AM

2,023 posts, read 1,743,317 times
Quote:
This post explains why rents are so much lower in other states where landlords aren't obligated to act as big daddy to deadbeat tenants. During covid when tenants stopped paying rent for a year or longer landlords took a beating or worse. Now comes the payback. We aren't landlords or tenants, so we are safe unless the Prop. 13 is recalled here in California; Prop. 13 limits the property tax increases.

Buying our first home in 1985 was the best decision, ever, after marrying my dear wife. She might disagree with me on that, just don't ask her, please.

Old 08-17-2022, 10:12 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Buying our first home in 1985 was the best decision, ever, after marrying my dear wife. She might disagree with me on that, just don't ask her, please.
She may claim "temporary insanity", gave in to you in a moment of weakness

Old 08-17-2022, 01:57 PM

21,742 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
Maybe you all should look at why apartments and multi family building are not being built. I have invested in REIT and its been 15 years for struggle to get a housing project approved due to all the crap from the city, state, fed agencies, fees and massive requirements for green built areas, a school, parks, environmental studies one after another because some ass does not want the area developed. I can go on and on. And then you people accuse developers of greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
You just stated reasons why California has one of highest rent in the nation.

You guys don't get it. The more State impose regulations and "rent control" measures, the more landlords will charge higher rent in order to make staying in this business worth the risks.
Both of you post with the assumption that landlords are more worthy of cultural respect and protection than worker bees who are renting.

Why should either parties be exempt from suffering the vagaries of economic misfortunes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California