Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 11:45 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,306,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Newsom had the worst covid policies in the US and helped abet school closures in many areas that were 1.5 years. He cancelled the main high speed rail line within a month of starting as governor and just decided to complete a segment from Bakersfield to Modesto just to give the unions something to work. He’s horrible with the budget and kowtows to public sector unions far too much.

He faced a recall and only got 58% of the popular vote in the 2022 election—a really low margin for a CA Democrat. Brian Dahle his opponent didn’t even graduate college and had never been in any serious government role and still managed over 40% of the popular vote. Newsom is extremely unpopular outside of CA.

Pete Buttigieg for example would be far more popular nationwide. So would Cory Booker or a host of other younger somewhat moderate Democrats. Newsom almost certainly wouldn’t get past the primaries as he is viewed as a patronizing coastal elite.
The big reason I thought Newsom was talented is that he really did an effective job working with Trump across party lines. During covid, there was a Navy Hospital ship that pretty much could go to any port on the West Coast. While most of the other Democratic governors were bad mouthing Trump and Trump's response to covid, Newsom didn't do that. He was actually incredibly complimentry of Trump. As a result when the Navy had two hospital ships, one for the East Coast and another for the West Coast, Newsom was able to get the Navy Hospital ship for the West Coast to port in Los Angeles. He was also able to get ventilators and protective clothing from the federal stockpile shipped to California, enough later California was shipping excess ventilators to other states.

Similarly, during the drought, there were major fires on the West Coast. Again because Newsom wasn't badmouthing Trump, he got the Feds to declare these areas disaster areas and again work with California on the response to the fires. All of the other Democratic governors were badmouthing Trump and I just thought politically that was just stupid. Trump more so than pretty much any other politician responds well to people who say nice things about him and he punishes people who say bad things about him. Newsom figured out how to get what he wanted out of Trump, I see that as evidence that Newsom is a talented politician.

In the most recent governor's race, Newsom had more money in the bank than he needed for re-election, but do to the quirks of campaign finance law, he can't transfer that money to a future presidential campaign account. So Newsom rans ads for the California Governor's race in Texas and Florida. He didn't spend a lot of money on those ads, but that got him a lot of national press and put him in contention for running for President while he still continued to say he was backing the Biden/Harris campaign. Say what you will, but I thought that was pretty clever too.

On abortion while Biden and Harris dropped the ball. Newsom really ran with that as an issue he turned California into abortion sanctuary state. Whether you think the policy is good or not on the merits, I think it put him in a really good position in a future presidential primary. He may not be a female candidate, but he has positioned himself as the champion as women's issues. Again I thought that was shrewd.

Do I agree with every policy that Newsom backs not at all. But of the leading potential candidates for President on the Democratic side, I think he is the Democrat's strongest candidate right now. Biden is too old and is prone to gaffs. The secret documents that they keep finding in his various residents just makes him look bad and undercuts a lot of the attacks on Trump for the past several years. Harris is really unlikeable and when they assigned issues for the Vice President to handle like immigration, she seems real ineffectual. If Biden wants to have an African American on the ticket, I think he would be much better served by Cory Booker. Buttigieg is dull and boring. I agree that Cory Booker has talent, but can he successfully fundraise yet to run for President like Newsom can? The tech billionaires are in California and Newsom already has a strong relationship with them. I think the Democrats best chance in the next election is with Newsom as their candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 12:13 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
The big reason I thought Newsom was talented is that he really did an effective job working with Trump across party lines. During covid, there was a Navy Hospital ship that pretty much could go to any port on the West Coast. While most of the other Democratic governors were bad mouthing Trump and Trump's response to covid, Newsom didn't do that. He was actually incredibly complimentry of Trump. As a result when the Navy had two hospital ships, one for the East Coast and another for the West Coast, Newsom was able to get the Navy Hospital ship for the West Coast to port in Los Angeles. He was also able to get ventilators and protective clothing from the federal stockpile shipped to California, enough later California was shipping excess ventilators to other states.

Similarly, during the drought, there were major fires on the West Coast. Again because Newsom wasn't badmouthing Trump, he got the Feds to declare these areas disaster areas and again work with California on the response to the fires. All of the other Democratic governors were badmouthing Trump and I just thought politically that was just stupid. Trump more so than pretty much any other politician responds well to people who say nice things about him and he punishes people who say bad things about him. Newsom figured out how to get what he wanted out of Trump, I see that as evidence that Newsom is a talented politician.

In the most recent governor's race, Newsom had more money in the bank than he needed for re-election, but do to the quirks of campaign finance law, he can't transfer that money to a future presidential campaign account. So Newsom rans ads for the California Governor's race in Texas and Florida. He didn't spend a lot of money on those ads, but that got him a lot of national press and put him in contention for running for President while he still continued to say he was backing the Biden/Harris campaign. Say what you will, but I thought that was pretty clever too.

On abortion while Biden and Harris dropped the ball. Newsom really ran with that as an issue he turned California into abortion sanctuary state. Whether you think the policy is good or not on the merits, I think it put him in a really good position in a future presidential primary. He may not be a female candidate, but he has positioned himself as the champion as women's issues. Again I thought that was shrewd.

Do I agree with every policy that Newsom backs not at all. But of the leading potential candidates for President on the Democratic side, I think he is the Democrat's strongest candidate right now. Biden is too old and is prone to gaffs. The secret documents that they keep finding in his various residents just makes him look bad and undercuts a lot of the attacks on Trump for the past several years. Harris is really unlikeable and when they assigned issues for the Vice President to handle like immigration, she seems real ineffectual. If Biden wants to have an African American on the ticket, I think he would be much better served by Cory Booker. Buttigieg is dull and boring. I agree that Cory Booker has talent, but can he successfully fundraise yet to run for President like Newsom can? The tech billionaires are in California and Newsom already has a strong relationship with them. I think the Democrats best chance in the next election is with Newsom as their candidate.
I agree 100% and Harris did some really crappy things when she was AG, like refusing to allow DNA testing on a case that could have exonerated the defendant because the case 'happened too long ago'. She made a truancy policy that involved arresting parents without requiring proof that they were doing anything to contribute to the child missing school, and she argued against early release for inmate fire fighters because "they were saving the state a lot of money". The worst part is she doesn't seem to make decisions on any kind of personal conviction, she's all over the place, one day supporting the death penalty the next day saying that she's opposed to it.

Old 01-23-2023, 12:31 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Link?

Most were open for the fall 2020 semester.
https://calmatters.org/education/202...gs-california/

And even when the Omicron wave hit, most CA public schools remained open.
Despite Stricter COVID Restrictions, California's Schools Remained Open Amid Mass Closures:
https://www.newsweek.com/despite-str...osures-1667459

From May, 2019: WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration said on Thursday it was formally cancelling $929 million in previously awarded funding for California’s high-speed rail program after rejecting an appeal by the state.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKCN1SM2F9

Of the 12.8 million voters who participated in the recall election, 61.9% voted to retain Newsom, and 38.1% voted to recall. For the Nov. 2022 election results: Newsom: 59.2%, Dahle: 40.8%.

https://news.ballotpedia.org/2021/10...al-votes-cast/

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-governor.html
Schools remained closed in LA and the Bay Area well into spring 2021, some didn’t open till August. And when some schools “reopened” the vaccinated teachers refused to go into the class rooms themselves and zoomed from home. Virtually no schools closed in 2022 in the US. My high school in NJ opened in September of 2020 by the way, so this behavior wasn’t exactly widespread outside this state.

https://apnews.com/article/los-angel...a1e3b712186d39

https://www.kqed.org/news/11885708/c...-newsom-recall

As for the train—part of the reason Newsom kept building the train was they got a grant to build one from the Bay Area to SoCal from the Feds. Not wanting to repay the Feds and under pressure from unions he decided to build one from Modesto to Bakersfield so the unions still got their fill.

Old 01-23-2023, 06:24 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Schools remained closed in LA and the Bay Area well into spring 2021, some didn’t open till August.
"Schools remained closed..." and as a source, one of your links is to an article about the effort to recall Newsom. Okay. You definitely have a narrative about the way you perceive California, and regardless of the thread on which you post and the people who call you out for it, you continue to stick to it.

Old 01-23-2023, 09:40 AM

Quote:
"Schools remained closed..." and as a source, one of your links is to an article about the effort to recall Newsom. Okay. You definitely have a narrative about the way you perceive California, and regardless of the thread on which you post and the people who call you out for it, you continue to stick to it.
Schools opened near me in April 2021, and some districts didn’t open to August 2021. One of the articles said LAUSD didn’t resume normal classes until August 2021. Then Newsom pressuring his county health officers to keep masks in schools well into 2022. Im actually a parent and hearing about young children complain about headaches and being unable to breathe from masks or hearing about first graders tell me they learned absolutely nothing from zoom school was disheartening. Now that the results are in for test scores in this area less than 1/3 of students are operating anywhere close to grade level.

The schools themselves are trying to scrub evidence of this malfeasance from their websites but the information is still there.

Obviously this stuff is going to come out in the primary when Newsom runs. Moderate midwestern Democrats aren’t going to be impressed with this stuff or him dining at a $500 a person restaurant masskless while he was telling people to mask between bites.. In my county in 2020 they were giving people $1000 fines in 2020 for hiking alone but encouraging people to riot shoulder to shoulder for racial justice.

Old 01-23-2023, 10:26 AM

382 posts, read 179,566 times
Quote:
Schools opened near me in April 2021, and some districts didn’t open to August 2021. One of the articles said LAUSD didn’t resume normal classes until August 2021. Then Newsom pressuring his county health officers to keep masks in schools well into 2022. Im actually a parent and hearing about young children complain about headaches and being unable to breathe from masks or hearing about first graders tell me they learned absolutely nothing from zoom school was disheartening. Now that the results are in for test scores in this area less than 1/3 of students are operating anywhere close to grade level.

The schools themselves are trying to scrub evidence of this malfeasance from their websites but the information is still there.

Obviously this stuff is going to come out in the primary when Newsom runs. Moderate midwestern Democrats aren’t going to be impressed with this stuff or him dining at a $500 a person restaurant masskless while he was telling people to mask between bites.. In my county in 2020 they were giving people $1000 fines in 2020 for hiking alone but encouraging people to riot shoulder to shoulder for racial justice.
You're correct, and your AP news even states this. Only 50% of students were even somewhat back in the classroom as of Apr 2021.

An analysis by the Los Angeles Times found that just 3 million of California’s 6.2 million K-12 students now have the option to learn in a classroom, and most are younger children. Even in schools offering an in-person return, some kids will receive only a few hours a week of classroom instruction.

My wife is a teacher, and she didn't have in-person until end of Apr 2021, and that was only a couple hours a day 3 days a week to a handful of students that wanted it since they fear-mongered everyone. She wanted to go back in Sept 2020, like almost the rest of the country.

Our college son didn't have in-person until Fall 2021, but even a few classes were still hybrid. Our other son in community college was all online through Spring 2022, but I think he chose the online because he wanted to just stay at home, which this pandemic has ruined people's mindset.

People have such selective memory, but you're right they're doing their best to hide this. I hope you're correct that people outside of NY, IL, MN, and NY will realize the "true" Newsolini, but the media will do their best to hide it, like they did with the current WH clown.

Old 01-23-2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter858 View Post
You're correct, and your AP news even states this. Only 50% of students were even somewhat back in the classroom as of Apr 2021.

An analysis by the Los Angeles Times found that just 3 million of California’s 6.2 million K-12 students now have the option to learn in a classroom, and most are younger children. Even in schools offering an in-person return, some kids will receive only a few hours a week of classroom instruction.
The link to that analysis, below: "About 5.3 million of the 6.1 million students in the state have the option to return, according to estimates The Times derived from data that school districts provide to the state."

https://www.latimes.com/projects/cal...moButton-above

Old 01-23-2023, 09:00 PM

Quote:
The link to that analysis, below: "About 5.3 million of the 6.1 million students in the state have the option to return, according to estimates The Times derived from data that school districts provide to the state."

https://www.latimes.com/projects/cal...moButton-above
Seems like that’s current? I wasn’t aware of any continued school closures anywhere.

You were responding to a poster talking about an article from April 2021.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:15 AM

Quote:
You were responding to a poster talking about an article from April 2021.
What was posted didn't match up to the actual data in the link.

Old 01-24-2023, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
there was also the loss to the EDD from fraudulent claims during the pandemic. At first the amount was around 22 billion but according to a KCRA report from this past October, the numbers are closer to 32.6 billion. Maybe that would account for some of it?
Good point. In the news yesterday:

Orange County Man Pleads Guilty to Using Stolen Identities to Apply for More Than $1 Million in COVID Jobless Benefits:
https://www.justice.gov/usao-cdca/pr...-million-covid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California