Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 11:41 AM

5,757 posts, read 4,716,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Your electricity bill is $800 per month?
In the summer when we ran the AC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2024, 08:36 PM

10,337 posts, read 6,881,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Not sure I follow your your math.

I've put solar systems on my last three houses here in San Diego. And each system was a win. In every case, I financed, not leased, the system, and my payment was about 30% of what my SDGE elec bill was prior to solar. So I no longer had to fret about turning on the AC or having thermostat wars with my wife. My elec payment was a fixed amount; no more $800 bills in the summer.

My house is on propane so I am not reliant on SDGE for gas service.
I can see how your solar might pan out. My SDG&E bill runs about $125, so I guess it's 2 different payment scales.

Old 02-20-2024, 06:04 AM

26,763 posts, read 26,875,608 times
Since at least 2016, big solar companies have used Wall Street money to fund their growth. This financialization raised the consumer cost of the panels and led companies to aggressively pursue sales to make the cost of borrowing Wall Street money worth it. National solar companies essentially became finance companies that happened to sell solar, engaging in calculations that may have been overly optimistic about how much money the solar leases and loans actually bring in.

“I’ve often heard solar finance and sales compared to the Wild West due to the creativity involved,” says Jamie Johnson, the founder of Energy Sense Finance, who has been studying the residential solar industry for a decade. “It’s the Silicon Valley mantra of ‘break things and let the regulators figure it out.’”

Residential solar has always faced a big impediment to growth: installing and maintaining solar panels is expensive, and few consumers wanted to spend tens of thousands of dollars in cash to pay upfront for what was a relatively untested product. To get around this problem, a company called SolarCity came up with a new model in the early 2010s—leasing solar panels to customers, allowing them to pay little to no upfront cost. Companies like SunRun quickly followed; by 2014, this “third-party owned” kind of leased solar accounted for around 70% of total residential installations...

https://time.com/6565415/rooftop-sol...stry-collapse/

Old 02-20-2024, 02:50 PM

19,226 posts, read 16,733,202 times
That's quite the article CA4Now. Doesn't sound like solar is working all that well for everyone. I felt like I was missing out but after reading that, I'm now happy I didn't.

Old 02-20-2024, 06:33 PM

26,763 posts, read 26,875,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC97 View Post
I felt like I was missing out but after reading that, I'm now happy I didn't.
I know what you mean. I don't think I realized how many of these panels are leased....meaning you could end up paying a huge amount in financing fees, epecially if the solar company from which you lease goes under.

Old 02-21-2024, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I know what you mean. I don't think I realized how many of these panels are leased....meaning you could end up paying a huge amount in financing fees, epecially if the solar company from which you lease goes under.
Lately, I've been seeing ads stating that we (here in CA) shouldn't be paying for solar panels .... that they're supposed to be free. Now, I don't know about that because I haven't seen anyone giving anything away and especially not something like solar panels. Maybe it's the cost of installation where they zap you. It appears the truth is coming out about how much these really cost. No more hiding.

Old 02-21-2024, 12:18 PM

5,757 posts, read 4,716,020 times
Quote:
Lately, I've been seeing ads stating that we (here in CA) shouldn't be paying for solar panels .... that they're supposed to be free. Now, I don't know about that because I haven't seen anyone giving anything away and especially not something like solar panels. Maybe it's the cost of installation where they zap you. It appears the truth is coming out about how much these really cost. No more hiding.
I've seen those ads on facebook. Never clicked on them because I assumed they were a scam. If it sounds too good to be true...

Old 02-21-2024, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I've seen those ads on facebook. Never clicked on them because I assumed they were a scam. If it sounds too good to be true...
I see them on youtube. They usually air before the video starts. Ads are now a part of YT, unfortunately. Guess the need the cash flow.

Old 02-21-2024, 02:08 PM

11,590 posts, read 6,063,441 times
Quote:
This plan by the utility companies to charge people sliding rates by how much income they make is insane.
Welcome to California think.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:06 AM

10,337 posts, read 6,881,705 times
Quote:
What's to hide? Panels cost about $2 each to make, thanks to child slave labor. Then, the "end" consumer gets charged about a grand per, and then told, "You're gonna save so much money, by not paying SDG&E as much!"

scam
scam
scam

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California