Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2023, 07:58 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,655,981 times

Advertisements

Succinct but good documentary here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvB_gTvLAbw

I didn't know it was toxic until very recently -- I believed it was just some hinterland south of Palm Desert. I would have liked to have seen it back in its heyday. People still live there; some of them perhaps don't believe, or care, that the air around the sea can make them very sick. And there are others who still visit the area to express their artistic talents. It's too bad some of that overpriced low/high/low speed rail money wasn't used instead to build a canal to reduce the Salton Sea's salinity and make it hospitable once again to humans, as well as endangered fish and fauna. I'd like Governor Jawline to explain why it was not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2023, 09:22 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
Actually, Sonny Bono has a bird sanctuary located on the South-Eastern edge of the Sea. It attracts many species of birds. I've been to the sanctuary once. I didn't review the above video, as I've been there.

From Slab City, to the Banana Museum. From the Ski Inn to Bombay Beach. (Ok, the last 2 are on the same street...)

The Ski Inn is the "lowest Tavern in the Western Hemisphere." Like the Iron Door, it's plastered with dollar bills on the walls and ceiling. (There's a few bras hanging, too...)

Burgers are almost as good as the SmittyBurger at the Red Feather....

Old 07-02-2023, 03:44 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,332,982 times
It's out of sight and out of mind for almost the entire state. What few people are there, are poor and too far from Sacramento to be cared about.

The Salton is done. It will never be 'saved' in any meaningful sense of the term.

But San Diego got their water. That's all that matters.

If this was, say, Folsom Lake or Tahoe, it would've been 'fixed' yesterday and at any cost.

Sorry. Imperial Valley got the shaft. They need to accept it.

Old 07-02-2023, 04:44 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,041,475 times
I had always wanted to visit the Salton Sea and finally got my chance a decade or so ago.

I have a thing about cool areas created by development and then destroyed.

I guess it came from growing up in the SF Bay Area where a natural area was destroyed by development. Or more correctly, REMOVED by filling in SF Bay and putting in housing and industrial development. Just slivers of the natural landscape remained and they were on total life support.

Poor people have no shot at protecting their landscapes or lifestyles. It IS about protecting the lifestyles of the rich and famous. Once they lose interest, your toast.

I am not sure the folks of the Imperial Valley need to accept it. Their is a civil war going on about who wins, but it always looks bad for poor people, until it doesn't.

These artificial ecosystems are more common than people recognize. Eastern Washington is the Salton Sea not by accident but by FDR in the 1930's. Now the rich and famous people of Seattle want to restore natural ecosystems in eastern Washington. Once again, displacing the poor, for rich peoples fantasies.

https://usbackroads.blogspot.com/201...ashington.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California