Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 01:41 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times

Advertisements

Ugh.

Quote:
Thu, July 27, 2023

Texas Governor Greg Abbott signed a legislative proposal into law on May 13 that will make all electric vehicle (EV) owners in the state responsible for paying a $200 annual fee, The Dallas Morning News reported.

The law, which will take effect on Sept. 1, will also require new electric vehicle (EV) owners to pay a one-time fee of $400 to register their cars in addition to the $200 yearly toll.

The aim of the new law is to recoup some of the tax money the state has lost through EV owners not purchasing pricey gasoline.
https://news.yahoo.com/state-passes-...101500307.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2023, 01:45 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,019,204 times
I dont like it but I can kind of see the point. Part of a gas tax is supposed to go to road work and upkeeping them(whether it does or not is another story). EV weigh more than an ICE vehicle of a similar size, in most cases much more. More weight means more wear and tear on the roads. Without buying fuel there is no income coming in to fix the roads.

Old 07-27-2023, 01:46 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
It already happened here: California starts charging EV registration fees up to $175 in July

They should be even more because EV's put more wear and tear on the road and don't pay the gas taxes that fund them.

Old 07-27-2023, 01:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Here in Washington state it's an annual EV registration fee of $150 and a $75 transportation electrification fee in addition to standard vehicle fees.

Old 07-30-2023, 09:09 AM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
That's an interesting bit of information. I was curious how the state would make up for the loss in revenue in gasoline purchases. We already got another tax increase on July 1st. I thought that might have something to do with it but maybe not. This makes sense. Seems like double taxation, to me. They're already paying for registering the car and now they have a special fee simply because it's an EV.

Old 07-30-2023, 11:18 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,458,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
That's an interesting bit of information. I was curious how the state would make up for the loss in revenue in gasoline purchases. We already got another tax increase on July 1st. I thought that might have something to do with it but maybe not. This makes sense. Seems like double taxation, to me. They're already paying for registering the car and now they have a special fee simply because it's an EV.
Not really. The registration fees goes to the CHP, your county, and a variety of programs. The gas tax is supposedly just for maintaining the roads.

California has been talking about this ever since EVs started--I'm surprised it took them so long. Especially given that I've heard that an EV is heavier than a comparable car.

Old 07-30-2023, 11:34 AM

612 posts, read 353,527 times
My car registration in California is like $400 when it was $75 in Texas.

I believe California is considering a per mile tax to recoup gas tax revenue loss.

Gas taxes go to pay for roads and other infrastructure, so something will have to be figured out as we switch to EVs

Old 07-30-2023, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Not really. The registration fees goes to the CHP, your county, and a variety of programs. The gas tax is supposedly just for maintaining the roads.

California has been talking about this ever since EVs started--I'm surprised it took them so long. Especially given that I've heard that an EV is heavier than a comparable car.
I don't care where the money goes as long as it's used for something worthwhile. But thanks for keeping up with where it all goes.

Old 07-30-2023, 12:05 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekdog View Post
My car registration in California is like $400 when it was $75 in Texas.

I believe California is considering a per mile tax to recoup gas tax revenue loss.

Gas taxes go to pay for roads and other infrastructure, so something will have to be figured out as we switch to EVs
Which is offset by the high property taxes Texas levies on it's citizens. (If my dump were in Texas, instead of $4500/yr in prop taxes, it would be $45,000/yr.) NOT kidding.

And, you're also correct regarding Calif. floating a trial balloon "Carbon Tax" in the past. It's only a matter of time before it's implemented.

OP~ your thread title is a bit misleading. In Texas, the first year of ownership of an EV, you get hit with $600 in extra taxes. ($400 initial + $200 yearly, beginning on day 1.)

Point is, there's "no free ride" anywhere. If they don't get you one way, they'll get you another...

Old 07-30-2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Which is offset by the high property taxes Texas levies on it's citizens. (If my dump were in Texas, instead of $4500/yr in prop taxes, it would be $45,000/yr.) NOT kidding.

And, you're also correct regarding Calif. floating a trial balloon "Carbon Tax" in the past. It's only a matter of time before it's implemented.

OP~ your thread title is a bit misleading. In Texas, the first year of ownership of an EV, you get hit with $600 in extra taxes. ($400 initial + $200 yearly, beginning on day 1.)

Point is, there's "no free ride" anywhere. If they don't get you one way, they'll get you another...
Spot on Every single state in this country finds a way to generate revenue so when someone touts about low property taxes, they will be paying in other ways because that's what keeps the state going. If I have to pay higher property taxes and the nickel and dime-ing that is done here, I'll put up with it because, aside from that, my quality of life, due to health, is much better. I like the dry heat. I couldn't handle the humidity from states east of the Rockies, no matter how good the tax base is. I doubt you live in a dump but nice try
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: