Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 03:51 PM

21,727 posts, read 16,331,178 times

Advertisements

Maybe this should be in the San Francisco sub-forum … but I’ll post it here because it really speaks about California overall, including LA, as the #1 source of Hawaii tourists.

And, while the article tries to tie in Californian’s respect for the essences of Hawaii, etc etc, I have to wonder more that it has to do with Hawaii being the nation’s most expensive state - and, California, as the 2nd most expensive, being where the greatest number of people who can afford Hawaiian vacations reside. Right?

California sends more people to Hawaii than any other state, and there’s one city that Hawaii is courting more over others. Out of the 6.8 million people who visited the Islands in 2021, 2.7 million of them were California residents. Of these residents, more of them are visiting Hawaii from the Bay Area than from anywhere else.

https://www.sfgate.com/hawaii/articl...s-18279560.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 05:24 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,399,512 times
Weather reasons make Bay Area tourists to Hawaii a more logical fit than So Cal people.

Old 08-07-2023, 06:26 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,453,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Weather reasons make Bay Area tourists to Hawaii a more logical fit than So Cal people.
Yup. The water is in the low 70’s in Southern California right now, while the Bay Area beaches it’s the mid 50’s.

Old 08-07-2023, 07:11 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
That's interesting because I've observed that culturally there is of a greater affinity with Hawaii in SoCal than NorCal. Growing up in SoCal and then living near the Bay Area for over a decade, I've noticed it. That whole Life's a Beach, Hang loose, laid back lifestyle and cultural preference feels much stronger in SoCal. I had lots of SoCal friends and even family who moved to Hawaii for a season. Some even stayed and made it their new lifestyle as SoCal became more crowded.

However, in terms of climate differences and the need for a winter warm up, NorCal would be more inclined. The articles says LA is the second largest city to visit which fits. Now that we're living in WA state, I've noticed folks from the PNW like to visit HI as well. Whereas folks on the east coast tend to travel to the Caribbean and other tropical locations closer to home.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-07-2023 at 07:31 PM..

Old 08-08-2023, 10:25 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,660,267 times
While growing up in So Cal, I lived in Gardena where there were a number of transplants from Hawaii. I recall the stores and restaurants catered to this demographic. Having been in Sacramento for the past 19 years, I’ve also come across a number of Hawaii transplants in the part of town where I live. In my condo development alone, I know of least three neighbors who are originally from Hawaii. The local L&L Hawaiian BBQ restaurant has become a local hub for those with ties to Hawaii.

A close colleague of mine and his family would vacation in Hawaii on an almost annual basis with the exception of 2020 during the pandemic and this current year (Europe trip with the kids and an upcoming anniversary trip to Fiji). I’ve also noticed that flights between Sacramento and Hawaii have been in high demand and are pretty full to capacity.

Old 08-09-2023, 12:16 AM

6,885 posts, read 8,262,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
While growing up in So Cal, I lived in Gardena where there were a number of transplants from Hawaii. I recall the stores and restaurants catered to this demographic. Having been in Sacramento for the past 19 years, I’ve also come across a number of Hawaii transplants in the part of town where I live. In my condo development alone, I know of least three neighbors who are originally from Hawaii. The local L&L Hawaiian BBQ restaurant has become a local hub for those with ties to Hawaii.

A close colleague of mine and his family would vacation in Hawaii on an almost annual basis with the exception of 2020 during the pandemic and this current year (Europe trip with the kids and an upcoming anniversary trip to Fiji). I’ve also noticed that flights between Sacramento and Hawaii have been in high demand and are pretty full to capacity.
Yep, we live in Sacramento and we are vacationing on the Big Island next month as there is Big family reunion happening.

I wouldn't say NorCal has a bigger following for Hawaii than SoCal. It's about even. Rather, I've noticed that Californians are either "Hawaii people" or "Mexico people". Californians favor either Hawaii and stick with the Islands, or they favor Mexico and stick with its locales. I don't know too many people who go to both equally.

Old 08-09-2023, 09:52 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,412,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

And, while the article tries to tie in Californian’s respect for the essences of Hawaii, etc etc, I have to wonder more that it has to do with Hawaii being the nation’s most expensive state - and, California, as the 2nd most expensive, being where the greatest number of people who can afford Hawaiian vacations reside. Right?

California sends more people to Hawaii than any other state, and there’s one city that Hawaii is courting more over others. Out of the 6.8 million people who visited the Islands in 2021, 2.7 million of them were California residents. Of these residents, more of them are visiting Hawaii from the Bay Area than from anywhere else.
I think also CA residents are the most traveled to Hawaii is because its rather close by. Still, its a 5.5 hr flight, but its as short a flight from CA to HI as you can get. Not a whole lot of east coasters wanting to fly 11-12 hrs each way for vacation. You also have to factor in that there is a LOT of east coast/midwest transplants here in CA who maybe have never seen Hawaii due to its distance from their hometowns. So, naturally they will want to visit now that they have transplanted closer.

Also, I dont think your rationale of Californians being more able to afford trips to Hawaii carries weight as to why CA is tops. I mean seriously, we already live in one of the most desired places in the USA to visit/vacation, so where else (fun) domestically will we choose to vacation over Hawaii? I cannot think of anyplace else domestically that is above my list of top vacation destinations that rates higher than Hawaii. I'd put Vegas at #2 and maybe New York at #3.

Also, I know the article was written by a Bay Area journalist, written for a bay area news - SF Gate, but SFs 277,418 visitors to HI isnt that much more than LAs 258,153.

Old 08-09-2023, 10:45 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I think also CA residents are the most traveled to Hawaii is because its rather close by. Still, its a 5.5 hr flight, but its as short a flight from CA to HI as you can get. Not a whole lot of east coasters wanting to fly 11-12 hrs each way for vacation. You also have to factor in that there is a LOT of east coast/midwest transplants here in CA who maybe have never seen Hawaii due to its distance from their hometowns. So, naturally they will want to visit now that they have transplanted closer.

Also, I dont think your rationale of Californians being more able to afford trips to Hawaii carries weight as to why CA is tops. I mean seriously, we already live in one of the most desired places in the USA to visit/vacation, so where else (fun) domestically will we choose to vacation over Hawaii? I cannot think of anyplace else domestically that is above my list of top vacation destinations that rates higher than Hawaii. I'd put Vegas at #2 and maybe New York at #3.

Also, I know the article was written by a Bay Area journalist, written for a bay area news - SF Gate, but SFs 277,418 visitors to HI isnt that much more than LAs 258,153.
Per capita it is considering how many less people SF has. On page 47 of the report referenced it shows market penetration rate per 1K and SF and SJ metros are double LA. San Diego has a higher penetration rate too. My guess is people from LA like to vacation in Mexico more so.

Old 08-09-2023, 10:58 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,696,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I mean seriously, we already live in one of the most desired places in the USA to visit/vacation, so where else (fun) domestically will we choose to vacation over Hawaii? I cannot think of anyplace else domestically that is above my list of top vacation destinations that rates higher than Hawaii. I'd put Vegas at #2 and maybe New York at #3.
Same. There's not a lot of places in the USA that I care to visit. It just doesn't seem worth it. Maybe warm water, but HI, Cabo, or CR beat FL.

NYC is a bigger city than what we have, but if you want bigger, cleaner, safer, more fun cities it's better just to fly to HK, Tokyo, or Taipei.

All the best scenery in the USA is more driving distance than flying: PNW coastline, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, etc.

Same deal for skiing. Why go out-of-state when you have Tahoe and rest of the mountains?

LA-SD has all the good theme parks and tourist attractions.

Plus, flying domestically in the lower 48 is always a nightmare. Not so with international travel. I don't go to HI so I don't know if those flights are better, but I imagine they are, since you're not flying on a plane that has to hop through half the country before it picks you up.

Old 08-09-2023, 01:01 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,660,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Yep, we live in Sacramento and we are vacationing on the Big Island next month as there is Big family reunion happening.

I wouldn't say NorCal has a bigger following for Hawaii than SoCal. It's about even. Rather, I've noticed that Californians are either "Hawaii people" or "Mexico people". Californians favor either Hawaii and stick with the Islands, or they favor Mexico and stick with its locales. I don't know too many people who go to both equally.
I was on the Big Island about this time last year. I stayed in Kailua-Kona for one week and it was my first visit to the Big Island. Southwest Airlines flew a nonstop between Sacramento and Kona that operated on Saturdays. Too bad they discontinued that route. Both flights going and returning were packed. I hope you enjoy the family reunion.

Yeah, I have noticed that there are people who have a strong preference for Hawaii and those who have a strong preference for Mexico. My last visit to Mexico was to the Yucatán about seven years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California