Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Dallas area: deep green landscape, brick homes, bars, grills, cowboys, prices coming down

Old 01-21-2007, 12:58 AM

4 posts, read 21,824 times

Advertisements

I am a native Southern Californian, having been born in Los Angeles and raised in Riverside County up until last year when we moved out to the Dallas area. The past year I have been so depressed and saddened because Texas is just not the same. I miss everything about California (actually taking a vacation back home during the summer..) and I just wanted to hear your thoughts and what I should do to make my time in Texas not so bad. My husband and I are planning on buying our first home in SoCal once he finished his engineering degree (which wont be for about 3-4 more years). Any thoughts? And based on the real estate market now, what do you guys think it will be in 4-5 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 08:00 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,468,049 times
Talking Blend In! Buy Latter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalgrl View Post
I am a native Southern Californian, having been born in Los Angeles and raised in Riverside County up until last year when we moved out to the Dallas area. The past year I have been so depressed and saddened because Texas is just not the same. I miss everything about California (actually taking a vacation back home during the summer..) and I just wanted to hear your thoughts and what I should do to make my time in Texas not so bad. My husband and I are planning on buying our first home in SoCal once he finished his engineering degree (which wont be for about 3-4 more years). Any thoughts? And based on the real estate market now, what do you guys think it will be in 4-5 years?
Yeah, I've been to Dallas, and it is definently different then SoCal(Riverside County) I live in Los Angeles County, but have been to Riverside County on many occasions. Let me explain Dallas, Semi-Southern deep green landscape and brick homes, bars and grills on almost every street corner, some semi-cowboys, either simple brick one story very old looking neighborhoods, or new almost cookie-cutter type neighborhoods. Yeah, Texas is nice to visit, but like you, I wouldn't want to live there, besides my girlfriend doesn't like cowboys. If you want to better your time in Texas, you should just blend in. Seriously, just say what the heck, I'm gonna have fun while I experience Texas. I agree Dallas is better if you grew up there, but just let it rip, don't allow anything to hold you back. This is what you do, find some hardcore Texas Lovers from work or wherever, and party hard with them, and then your blues will probably be forgotten. I don't think the housing bubble will break in the next 3-6 years, probably 7-10. The lower demand of people moving into the state in ratio to the greater supply from people moving out of California, I believe will cause home prices to start coming down. I don't think it will happen yet, because those in the Real Estate Market don't desire prices coming down, including my father, he's mad the housing bubble is beginning to burst. LOL. Hope that helps friend! If you thought I was helpful and want to thank me just click rate this post positively below my quote. Hope all goes well!

Old 01-21-2007, 07:51 PM

4 posts, read 21,824 times
Thanks alot! Your advice sounds great!

Old 01-23-2007, 05:51 PM

6 posts, read 30,471 times
Dallas...UGGH! I'm a native Californian who defected to Dallas for my dream job and lasted 10 months...I'm convinced that the only people who like Texas grew up there...
I found many people to be a bit uptight, conservative, racist , sexist and homophobic. What I did like were the restaurants and shopping. Dallas has some of the BEST restaurants in the country...The Mansion on Turtle Creek, Star Canyon, etc. And I loved Eatzi's! Shopping was phenomenal too..
Of course I moved back to CA, then defected recently to the midwest for my husband's job and really miss home...I can't wait to move back and when I do I will stop taking it for granted and stay there!

Visit Austin - Pretty cool city. Also, I hear you should visit San Antonio, but I never made it there. I'd stay away from Houston - SMOGGY! Worse than LA!

Old 01-23-2007, 06:30 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,781 times
Socalgrl, Well I am in the same boat as you. Moved to Texas 2 years ago to retire and can't wait to get back to California. What I would do is look at this as a adventure! You know what I mean, since it is temporary. That is how we are looking at it. Like it is a learning experience of sorts. But 4 years is a long time. I do not know if you go to school or work or where you live in the Dallas area? But you need to take small weekend adventures. Go to Austin go visit some lakes. We live in Granbury on the lake but I think for someone your age it might be a little boring. It is boring to us and we are 40. Wow it is hard to do even day trips here huh?? Unlike California, you could go to the beach,go to the desert (palm springs) or the mountains. Shoot I do not know what to tell you except put your head up and a smile on your face and remember you will back in California soon.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:05 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmama View Post
Dallas...UGGH! I'm a native Californian who defected to Dallas for my dream job and lasted 10 months...I'm convinced that the only people who like Texas grew up there...
I found many people to be a bit uptight, conservative, racist , sexist and homophobic. What I did like were the restaurants and shopping. Dallas has some of the BEST restaurants in the country...The Mansion on Turtle Creek, Star Canyon, etc. And I loved Eatzi's! Shopping was phenomenal too..
Of course I moved back to CA, then defected recently to the midwest for my husband's job and really miss home...I can't wait to move back and when I do I will stop taking it for granted and stay there!

Visit Austin - Pretty cool city. Also, I hear you should visit San Antonio, but I never made it there. I'd stay away from Houston - SMOGGY! Worse than LA!
Dallas is a little more politically and culturally conservative than Austin and Houston.

Houston is NOT smoggier than L.A. I've lived in Austin and Houston, and think Houston is an underrated city for sure.

http://lungaction.org/reports/sota06_cities.html#table2b (broken link)

25 Most Ozone-Polluted Cities
1 Bakersfield,CA
2 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside,CA
3 Visalia-Porterville,CA
4 Fresno-Madera,CA
5 Merced,CA
6 Houston-Baytown-Huntsville,TX
7 Sacramento-Arden-Arcade-Truckee,CA-NV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California