Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 08:04 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,073,710 times

Advertisements

Come on are they serious? I get the point of what is trying to be done but come on.

Movement under way in California to ban divorce (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/11/30/national/a111733S84.DTL - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 08:56 AM

36,664 posts, read 67,596,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Come on are they serious? I get the point of what is trying to be done but come on.

Movement under way in California to ban divorce (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/11/30/national/a111733S84.DTL - broken link)
This is really just an extreme example of Sour Grapes. The fact that they would actually be serious is quite ridiculous. Ultimately it will only serve to make their movement look bitter and lowers their public image.

Voters will not be amused and will remember this the next time they try to pass a marriage referendum.

They need to be humble, quit barking at us and try dialogue. The power of conversation can be very powerful.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:14 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,419,764 times
I would support an end to no fault divorce. Go back to having to prove a case. Grant exceptions in cases of domestic violence.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:19 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,100,712 times
I think you're showing some of your religious roots, Montclair

I don't know many people that would hate this piece of satire, but then again, I don't know many people who voted Yes on Prop 8 and even those whom I know are religious, I know very few who supported such unjustfiably bigoted legislation.

I can't defend religion(s) that behave in this manner in society. They deserve to be criticized and poked fun at. So, yeah, I like this bit of legislation.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:49 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,525,335 times
Quote:
This is really just an extreme example of Sour Grapes
No, not at all, it is a humorous demonstration of the hypocrisy of the "protection of marriage" people. If one truly wanted to protect marriage, one should ban divorce, seems reasonable to me.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
No, not at all, it is a humorous demonstration of the hypocrisy of the "protection of marriage" people. If one truly wanted to protect marriage, one should ban divorce, seems reasonable to me.
Yes, its satirical and a humorous but strangely not funny attempt at revenge. A huge mockery of the voting process that will waste time and money.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:33 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,456,447 times
OK, let me see if I can pass along what I have heard about it.

There is a ban on Gay marriage in California because Gay marriage is a THREAT to marriage in general.

Nevermind the REALITY that the religious right has a higher rate of divorce then the left.

There is no way to make a cogent argument that allowing Gay people to marry is harming marriage in anyway. Divorce is more of a threat. AND the very people who are beating the drum AGAINST Gay marriage are the ones who are divorcing left and right. The blue states have lower divorce rates then the red, that is a substantiated fact that can not be denied.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:42 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,525,335 times
Quote:
Yes, its satirical and a humorous but strangely not funny attempt at revenge. A huge mockery of the voting process that will waste time and money.
My guess is that your problem with it has little to do with voting, or time, or money or divorce, or the banning of divorce.

Humor or humorlessness has much to do with whose ox is being gored.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
I think you're showing some of your religious roots, Montclair

I don't know many people that would hate this piece of satire, but then again, I don't know many people who voted Yes on Prop 8 and even those whom I know are religious, I know very few who supported such unjustfiably bigoted legislation.

I can't defend religion(s) that behave in this manner in society. They deserve to be criticized and poked fun at. So, yeah, I like this bit of legislation.
So poke fun via the proper channels-SNL,. MadTV, YouTube etc. That's all good.

But as a referendum? Please.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
My guess is that your problem with it has little to do with voting, or time, or money or divorce, or the banning of divorce.
Thank you for presuming to know what my problems are.

Quote:
Humor or humorlessness has much to do with whose ox is being gored.
Its so interesting that after being tossed out at the ballot box twice in embarrassing losses that were broadcast around the world, the left still hasnt learned its lesson regarding how to appeal to voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California