Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 11:42 AM

8 posts, read 47,350 times

Advertisements

Hello--I am interested in moving to Northern California from Hurricane and Tornado Alley Florida. I am looking from Fort Bragg to Sac--and down to Antioch or even Ukiah. My sister lives in Lakeport. Love the area, but employment is very limited. A two hour drive is better than a 9 hour plane ride twice a year.

Currently work at a Dodge dealership--HR--Customer and Employee Relations have communications background with a BA in Business. I would love any suggestions--never moved across country--THANKS NORA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 14,291 times
Default northern ca

Have you thought of the monterey peninsula?
I have no idea of the job market and housing is steep but its beautiful.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:52 AM

8 posts, read 47,350 times
No--thanks I will add that one on the list after I check it out.. I need to start with employment and job market research in the surrounding areas. Thanks for your suggestion

Old 02-08-2007, 07:11 PM

126 posts, read 579,435 times
Mendocino County has major issues with pot growers. If this is something you're not comfortable with - look elsewhere. The county has legalized growing marijuana and there's a whole culture that accepts drug use. Also, many transients who choose to be homeless and camp around on private citizen's property (without permission).

Old 02-08-2007, 10:52 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,424,716 times
You may want to also look at SAHRA.org that is the Local HR association with all the businesses located in the Sacramento Valley area. They are very active and friendly. I was associated with them a few years ago and they were lovely people.

That might give you an idea into the job market in the area.

Hope to help!!

Old 02-09-2007, 12:25 AM

144 posts, read 935,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyhen View Post
Mendocino County has major issues with pot growers. If this is something you're not comfortable with - look elsewhere. The county has legalized growing marijuana and there's a whole culture that accepts drug use. Also, many transients who choose to be homeless and camp around on private citizen's property (without permission).
Cry me a river. People smoke a lot of weed in San Francisco/Northern California, southern california and everywhere in between. I really don't see how somebody growing weed on THEIR PRIVATE LAND is going to offend you. Be happy that they're not cooking meth on their property, because then you do have a problem.

It's not just Mendocino county that has people with wink-wink attitudes
towards weed, that train of thought is everywhere in California. The majority
of the people don't care and for that matter the cops don't really care (my friend was pulled over and the cop said it smells like weed, let me see it. My friend pulls his weed out and the cops remark that the weed is of low quality and there is higher quality out there. They then gave it back to him with a warning of not letting them smell it or see them smoking again, or else they would have to FINE them.)

I've even smoked with my friends mom, that's how accepted it is in San Diego. People smoke on the beach and nobody cares!

Weed is borderline acceptable in social circles. Some areas throw open their arms and ask for the joint, others will let people mind their own buisness and some will have a stick stuck up their ass about it. But the majority don't care!
Get over it!

Old 02-09-2007, 02:48 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENZBOY15 View Post
Cry me a river. People smoke a lot of weed in San Francisco/Northern California, southern california and everywhere in between. I really don't see how somebody growing weed on THEIR PRIVATE LAND is going to offend you. Be happy that they're not cooking meth on their property, because then you do have a problem.

It's not just Mendocino county that has people with wink-wink attitudes
towards weed, that train of thought is everywhere in California. The majority
of the people don't care and for that matter the cops don't really care (my friend was pulled over and the cop said it smells like weed, let me see it. My friend pulls his weed out and the cops remark that the weed is of low quality and there is higher quality out there. They then gave it back to him with a warning of not letting them smell it or see them smoking again, or else they would have to FINE them.)

I've even smoked with my friends mom, that's how accepted it is in San Diego. People smoke on the beach and nobody cares!

Weed is borderline acceptable in social circles. Some areas throw open their arms and ask for the joint, others will let people mind their own buisness and some will have a stick stuck up their ass about it. But the majority don't care!
Get over it!
As somebody who LEGALLY buys pot at a government-sponsored club, I can agree with all of the above... and I live in the San Francisco area, not Mendocino county! Did you know they've dubbed Oakland now as "Oaksterdam", since it has something like 20 legal pot clubs? Anyway, if someone is really uncomfortable with marijuana use, Northern California is probably not the place for them. As for hard drugs, we don't tolerate or accept those any more/less than a conservative state.

To answer the original question, I actually think Mendocino would be a good place to live. Another great location is Arcata/Eureka, which is another one that's infamous for it's "pot acceptance"... but that aside, it's really beautiful, affordable, people are friendly, and there should be some job opportunities. You might also look around Chico and Red Bluff, which are a bit more "woodsy", or the Lake Tahoe area. Good luck!

Old 02-09-2007, 06:18 AM

989 posts, read 5,923,871 times
Last year, police found millions of dollars of potfields in Orange County, but I would still say the general outlook on weed is very negative(in O.C.). (Yes, it's at every teen party) ...but marijuana dispensaries get hassled a lot by local govn't and hence there are practically no dispensaries in southern/coastal OC.

Laguna Beach(full of 92% white rich liberal-wannabees) just shut down the last and only pot shop in January.

Northern California seems a lot more accepting of weed, and drugs in general.(liberal influence)

Old 02-09-2007, 11:46 AM

318 posts, read 1,316,906 times
Valley Springs, California. My mom lives in Clear Lake...use to be called the highlands. Across the lake for Lakeport. It is about 3 hours from Valley Springs to Lakeport.

The homes are real reasonable here and we are in a small town. Sierra Foothills...gold country. Schools are great. We are about 35 minutes from Stockton, a large city. You wouldn't want to live in Stockton but they have lots of Car dealerships and a rather large job market to find work.

Izzy

Old 02-09-2007, 05:55 PM

6 posts, read 38,269 times
What kind of area would you prefer (Small town/big city/country)?

Most of Northern California housing is outrageously priced. You will find more "affordable" homes in the Sacramento area...but even those are on the rise and the area isn't exactly pretty. Cloverdale might be an affordable option, near Lakeport, but you would probably need to commute to Santa Rosa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California