Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2007, 11:52 AM

18 posts, read 114,099 times

Advertisements

We are a large family from NY and someone mentioned the Mt. Shasta
area of CA. We are looking to relocate. We have 5 yound children.
Any info, advice, on this area would be helpful. The schools seem to rate very high. We are looking for a simpler way of life that our fast paced, extremely expensive Long Island NY life.
Thanks so much!
Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 07:20 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,560 times
Amy.. I hope you like snow.. because it snows there in the winter,, but you are from New Yrok .. so I guess you understand it

Mt Shasta is a small community located on the 5 freeway.... real estate in town can be expensive for nicer homes.. there is an active alternative living community.. a japanese temple/education retreat... a ski slope...Mt Shasta 14,172 feet...
shopping you wont find.. so for big stuff people drive to redding once a month ..or less.. about 75 miles to the south... there is a fairly nice small downtown area,, you can walk it.. and get most basics.. they have a good heath food store..
there are some decent eateries
education is small town and minimal....

If you are happy.. healthy and self satisfied with life.. have enough money to buy a decent home there I think it would be a nice life.. for me its too insular while being touristy because its right on the major north south artery of the west coast..5 freeway... fuel and basics cost more because of trucking...,,,

Summers are 10-30 degrees cooler than Redding.. the surrounding area and mountains are awesome... it is a volcanic area and there are cinder cones,,, when you go north to the next city,, Weed, you would be surprised to see how dry it gets,, and hot in the summer...and you drop in elevation..

The Oregon border isnt far.. an hour,, and can be done for a round trip day to medford or ashland,,, medford is a large shopping area even compared to redding

do some real estate searches and see what it costs compared to where you live... Redding has better value,, much higher heat

Old 02-15-2007, 04:15 PM

852 posts, read 3,813,332 times
If you have the means, Mt. Shasta is a much more pleasant place to live than Redding. There are a few custom-home subdivisions, and while there isn't a large quantity of shops, there is some quality. The summers are great, and the mountain is always there and almost always visible. It was a bear to climb but worthwhile.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:48 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,252 times
An acquaintance of mine lives near there. I've never visited her, but it takes her 20 minutes or so in good weather to get down to the main road from the mountains where she lives LOL. That can be either good or bad depending on your outlook and well, the weather.

I hope to visit one day

Old 02-16-2007, 04:07 PM

18 posts, read 114,099 times
Thank You All For Your Replies! Very Helpful.
Amy

Old 01-01-2008, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,311 times
Default Home in Mount Shasta

Hello,
I don't know what your price range that you're considering for housing but we have a recently completed fabulous home that sounds like it would be perfect for your family. We're asking 1.5M. We offer the home fully furnished which could include a GMC Yukon or it can be simply the home. Let me know if you're interested.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:24 PM

16 posts, read 36,738 times
Default Where to Live to Ski the Mt. Shasta and the West

Quote:
Originally Posted by DECEMBERBLUE27 View Post
We are a large family from NY and someone mentioned the Mt. Shasta
area of CA. We are looking to relocate. We have 5 yound children.
Any info, advice, on this area would be helpful. The schools seem to rate very high. We are looking for a simpler way of life that our fast paced, extremely expensive Long Island NY life.
Thanks so much!
Amy

If you are going to relo to a wintery area, skip Cali altogether.

Better choioces:

Bend, Redmond Oregon -- to ski Mt. Hood

Ashland, Klamath Falls,Medford -- to ski Mt. Hood (OR), Mt. Shasta (CA)

Carson City, Reno, Sparks Nevada -- to ski Tahoe, Truckee

Puget Sound Washington -- to ski Mt. Baker, Snoqualmie, Whistler-Blackcomb (BC)

Why Folks Move to California

You move to Cali because you work in movies, music, tourism, academia. You move to Cali because you sell some gizmo or good and want to be in the thick major urban areas -- Greater Los Angeles, Greater San Diego, San Francisco Bay, Sacto.

Some move to Cali because they are gay (SF) or they surf (from Santa Cruz to San Diego).

Mostly, you move to Cali for the sunshine and warmer So Cal weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California