Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:29 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,883,539 times

Advertisements

Ladies and gentlemen that is why you can't just raise taxes hoping to cover deficit spending especially when you are in an economic recession.

Sales tax: -50% (452$ million) compared to last april.
Personal income tax: -42% ($4.2 Billion) compared to last april.
Corporate taxes: -8.6% (142$ million) compared to last april.

These three categories are the largest revenue streams for CA. All in all total general fund revenues dropped 39%!!!!!!!! compared to last april!

http://sco.ca.gov/Press-Releases/2009/05-09summary.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 11:31 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,510,171 times
solution: double taxes to make up the difference!

Old 05-08-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
haha ;-)

I wouldn't be surprised if they proposed the following:

Electricity taxes for conservation
Water taxes for conservation
Waste disposal taxes for conservation

Old 05-08-2009, 11:49 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,805,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
haha ;-)

I wouldn't be surprised if they proposed the following:

Electricity taxes for conservation
Water taxes for conservation
Waste disposal taxes for conservation

They are already doing that... claiming conservation is impacting the bottom line and the lost revenue must be made up through higher fees... at least that is what's happening in my little corner of the Bay Area...

The more you tax something... the less of that activity you have... it's not rocket science.

I used to keep an old pickup truck licensed and insured just for convenience... only drove it a couple of hundred miles a year... I just went non-op on it last month in protest of higher vehicle fees.

I also had planned on renovating a fixer apartment building... the numbers worked out ok... but with increased taxes, business tax and rent registration plus stricter rent control I figured I would be working for nothing...

My circle of work friends might not be typical... but, all of them have at least taken trips out of CA looking for a place to retire... many would have never thought of leaving and now quite a few have... southern states and Oregon and Nevada lead the list...

Old 05-08-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
My circle of work friends might not be typical... but, all of them have at least taken trips out of CA looking for a place to retire... many would have never thought of leaving and now quite a few have... southern states and Oregon and Nevada lead the list...
My parents planning same thing. They see how cheap everything is in other states.

I am personally planning on bailing out to go to Texas but I need to wait until I get done with school.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:03 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,720,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
And also threaten to cut essential services, such as fire fighting, and threaten to release dangerous criminals from prison. In the meantime all the clerical positions remain filled without any layoffs, pensions remain high as ever, and we're planning to build a high speed rail system.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:23 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,561,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I used to keep an old pickup truck licensed and insured just for convenience... only drove it a couple of hundred miles a year... I just went non-op on it last month in protest of higher vehicle fees.

My protest of higher vehicle fees will be moving to another state before registration on our car comes due in September.

I think your circle of work friends is becoming more and more common. We're headed to Missouri -- lower taxes, lower real estate prices, slower pace of life, fewer laws and regulations, far less nanny government.

Add beautiful scenery and friendly people and it's a win-win.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:26 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,409,567 times
My brother and partner took their multi-million furniture dollar business out of California several years ago when the writing first began to show up on the wall. It was a smart move.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:52 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,051,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My protest of higher vehicle fees will be moving to another state before registration on our car comes due in September.

I think your circle of work friends is becoming more and more common. We're headed to Missouri -- lower taxes, lower real estate prices, slower pace of life, fewer laws and regulations, far less nanny government.

Add beautiful scenery and friendly people and it's a win-win.

Don't want to hijack the post but I ran to another state about 5 months ago because of all the mess in Ca and now my life has taken a turn (with a few bumps) in a much more positive direction.

In my new state I have the ability to afford a basic home, I'm never in traffic, and despite whatever they say is going on with the economy people are spending money around here as my business is up and running pretty quickly.

Anyhow, I feel sorry for a few of the close people that I know in OC and LA as they want to leave to another state (Texas) but because of various situations they can't.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:21 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,805,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
My brother and partner took their multi-million furniture dollar business out of California several years ago when the writing first began to show up on the wall. It was a smart move.
I work in Medical and know several small specialty manufacturing firms... 50 employee or there about... that have relocated. As long as that option exists I imagine more will look into it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California