Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 12:38 AM

40 posts, read 157,707 times

Advertisements

I am young and going to be moving from Idaho to California by September 2010. The girlfriend is into Restruant Managment, and I own a Lawn care Business. I need a place that has plenty of business and year round lawncare. We dont want low income areas, but more of a nicer area that is clean and vibrant! Lower crime would be great! Preffer to not be in major city, but a small drive to them would be nice I am a one person team, and have equipment to to up to 10-15 acres of lawn easly.

Thank you guys SOOOO much!
Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 05:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
This is a low barrier to entry endeavor. Big supply of labor, constant (and diminishing as people cut costs) supply of demand so price you can demand for your services is going to go lower and lower.

Last edited by Charles; 01-09-2009 at 05:19 AM..

Old 01-09-2009, 06:31 AM

566 posts, read 1,939,175 times
This is going to take a lot of thought on your part as there are several obstacles. The good news is that in most places in CA the lawns grow all year. Nice lawns can be found everywhere there are nice neighborhoods. That's all over CA. However, just about all lawncare in CA is done by immigrants who will work cheap. Now that the labor market is falling apart they will work even cheaper. You won't need equipment capable of doing 10 acres. Most lawns within an hour's drive of a city are closer to 1/10th of an acre. You will need knowledge of taking care of flower gardens and shrubs. I'd say find a place where you want to live and your girlfriend can find work and then explore lawncare oppotrunities there. It won't be that easy to get established in the restaraunt business either unless your girlfriend already has contacts.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:37 PM

Ya she has Managment experience with cheescake factory and others of that caliber. I figured that it would be a long shot to find a larger area with lawns. I have a couple of years to brain storm I guess... But what would be a good area with low crime that may fall into the criteria that we want?

Old 01-09-2009, 08:04 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,145,658 times
I can't think of many areas in Northern California where the lots are that large unless they're open forestland, with only a small pad fully developed (like Woodside). Even multi-million dollar estates often have an acre or less.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:15 PM

566 posts, read 1,939,175 times
A good area, clean and vibrant, but within a small drive to a city. And it needs to be large enough to have restaraunt work. Golly you are really making me think. I've explored every nook and cranny of CA and this one is not easy. First there are no short drives to a CA city. The cities in CA are so large that they spread out for miles. They are all surounded by suburbs that have horrible freeway congestion. So you can't live outside the city and travel to work easily. Your clean and vibrant place will have to exist either at the edge of the city or completely separate.

Maybe someplace like the Conejo Valley/Moorpark area? That's clean and vibrant. Lots of very nice houses with lawns. The Conejo Valley (Thousand Oaks, Westlake, etc) will be pricey to live, but perhaps you could find something in Moorpark or Newbury Park. There are restaraunts scattered about the area. And the drive to the San Feranado Valley (ugh) or LA (double ugh) is not too bad.

You need to come and explore.

But understand that the last thing CA needs is another gardener. The immigrants, many who are illegal are everywhere and will work cheap. And they work hard. Take at look at the San Diego forum to find the thread about the lady trying to find workl as a food server. If you guys have jobs where you are I'd say stay there.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:26 PM

268 posts, read 899,914 times
Mexians work cicles around us Americanos.... and what a shame we are such lazy farts! My uncle owns a roofing company in Ca and he hires only Mexians! And he pays them better than mosy slimy Lawyers like make in 6 months!

Old 01-10-2009, 12:28 PM

lol. Thats pretty much what I was worried about. Looks like we may be looking at Boise now.
Thanks for all your hard looking peeps

Old 01-10-2009, 06:21 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
Consider checking out the Coachella Valley area (Palm Springs, LaQuinta, Palm Desert) for information. Those places may be in a desert, but it's an oasis with its own water supply, even when the rest of California suffered droughts. There are a LOT of landscaping in those areas. However, there could also be a lot of lawn-care businesses there to compete with, as well.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:46 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Consider checking out the Coachella Valley area (Palm Springs, LaQuinta, Palm Desert) for information. Those places may be in a desert, but it's an oasis with its own water supply, even when the rest of California suffered droughts. There are a LOT of landscaping in those areas. However, there could also be a lot of lawn-care businesses there to compete with, as well.
I was just going to suggest our area too. Lots of high end restaurants and resorts and none of us get out there and do our own yardwork - we hire other people to do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California