Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 01:10 AM

2 posts, read 6,180 times

Advertisements

I just received a job promotion to Fresno and am going to be moving down there. I am in my mid-20s and trying to find a good place to live to accommodate my lifestyle. I'm not a big fan of suburbs and like to be close to a lot of things such as good food, night life, outdoor trails, a gym and within 15-20 minutes of work. I will be working just off the 41 just south of downtown Fresno. I will be in Fresno from 1.5-3 years and was thinking about buying vs. renting. I will be living with another person so looking for a 2 bedroom place, but 3 will do. I also want to get a dog, to keep me some what busy.

Any help would be great.

SS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 01:17 AM

57 posts, read 138,789 times
I don't spend as much time in Fresno as I used to, but I would recommend getting a place near Riverpark. Riverpark has good food and quite a bit of stuff to do. It is also a safe area. Look for places near the Riverpark area. In reality, everything in Fresno is fairly close. The traffic can be bad sometimes, but nowhere near the level of a bigger city.

There is a poster on here named "Fresno Facts" and he could help you out more than I could.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:40 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,072,757 times
My first thought are the apartments and condos around RiverPark. Many of them are on Nees Avenue between Palm and First. There are quite a few, I know Adriatica used to live at Windscape on Nees.

You could get on 41 south at either Herndon or Friant. But you would be dealing with rush hour traffic into downtown and the industrial area to the south.

RiverPark has a number of restaurants and bars, a new GB3 gym at Palm/Nees
George Brown Sports Club - GB3
and a lot of shopping.

RiverPark is near the River Parkway along the San Joaquin River and Woodward Park. The Parkway currently has about 6 miles of hiking/biking trails open with more being added until it stretches over 20 miles from 99 to Friant dam. You can also kayak, canoe, or fish in the river.
http://www.riverparkway.org/

Two other areas to look at would be around the Tower District or the Arts District. They would not be near gyms or trails, but would be less suburban in feel.

The Tower is basically Fresno's alternative urban area. It is a 1930s-era neighborhood of restored bungalows and buildings surrounding a retail area of bars, restaurants, theaters, and shops. It is just a mile or two north of downtown.
www.towerdistrict.org
Tower District Newspaper Ad Section - Fresno's Tower District, Valley Restaurants, Dining, Theater, Music and Nightlife

The Arts District is a new downtown area just developing. Currently it consists of less than a couple of hundred apts and lofts just north of the Fresno Metropolitan Museum and Artes America. Some of the lofts are artists live/work spaces. Not much activity or nightlife in the area yet but new construction is going on. The 80 unit Fulton Plaza townhomes are opening in the next couple of months. Here is info on some of the lofts.
:::::::::: URBAN FRESNO ::::::::::

Old 04-15-2009, 09:44 AM

657 posts, read 1,599,789 times
I lived in and around Fresno for 18 years while growing up, and I was determined to get out, so I can't comment productively, but I can give you a thumbs-up about the Riverpark area.. cruising Blackstone and hanging out there in my adolescent youth made for a good time on the weekends.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:43 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,072,757 times
LOL, that brings up one of the few negatives I have about RiverPark.

On weekends the area around Edwards Cinema and Borders is high school hang out central. Teens drive themselves or get dropped off on Friday/Saturday night to see and be seen. I usually stay away from that area on weekends.

Fortunately across Blackstone there are some decent chain restaurants like Elephant Bar and California Pizza Kitchen along with Barnes and Noble. That area is quieter.

But most of the 20 something singles I know in the RiverPark area are at Palm/Nees. They are going to dinner and nightlife at places there like
Roe Sushi
http://www.roesushi.com/
Twist
TWIST | Fresno Restaurant, Fresno Corporate Events venue, Fresno Lounge, Fresno Private Events, Fresno Bar, Ultralounge & Restaurant in Fresno, CA.
The Palms
THE PALMS - Fine Star Cuisine
Salsas
MySpace.com - C!ub Sa!sas - 25 - Female - Fresno, California - www.myspace.com/clubsalsas
or others.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:35 PM

764 posts, read 2,036,720 times
I definitely agree with the River Park suggestion. And if you're looking for real estate to buy, search in the 93720 zip for homes close to trails, restaurants, gyms, etc.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:15 AM

2 posts, read 6,180 times
thank you all for your advice. i looked at old town clovis too and that was not bad, hard trying to find rentals in that area though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California