Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 09:29 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times

Advertisements

How is everyone going to vote?

Read up on the props here:

Voter Information Guide - California Secretary of State

Here is how I am going to vote:

1a: No
1b: No
1c: No
1d: Yes
1e: Yes
1f: Yes

I think the most significant one is the 1a which if you vote yes would extent the recent tax increases (sales tax, income tax, vehicle license fees etc.) by two years. This tax increase generates about 13$ billion in revenue for the government. Pretty significant considering the government collected about 100$ billion, so pretty much a 10% increase.

The last three propositions are minor spending cuts but not much. Like 1-2 billion cut for special interests.

If these propositions don't pass the government has to figure out a way to make more cuts. I say just do a straight line cut until you get back in balance. We can't afford all the spending we are doing. That is the real problem. A lot of these are stop gap measures (borrow from future lottery profits, temporarily cut, tax increase etc.) They don't tackle the real problem which is spending. The school system even has the nerve to set up a payment plan to repay the money we cut from the budget this year! It never ends!

Last edited by killer2021; 04-23-2009 at 09:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 09:35 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Um... There is already a topic California Special Election May 19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
A lot of these are spot gap measures ...
I think you mean stop gap.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:28 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,761,775 times
I will be voting no on everything except D and F, eventhough I have reservations about D and F. F is funny since it includes people that do not have a vote on the budget(constitutional officers? governor is a bit tenuous as well)

Old 04-24-2009, 10:20 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
This is a good article on Prop 1A: Colorado's woes don't augur well for Prop. 1A

If you guys want less govt spending right now would be one of the best times to enact a cap due to the lower revenues:

"If you start the cap in the depths of the worst recession since the Great Depression, that 10-year average isn't going to be very helpful" for needed social programs, said Anthony Wright, executive director of Health Access California.

But keeping spending from growing too quickly when the economy recovers is one of the main purposes of any cap, as Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger bluntly put it in a visit to The Chronicle last month."

"The Taxpayers' Bill of Rights has saved our fiscal fanny over the years" by keeping the Legislature from boosting spending in the years when the money was flowing in, he said. "If not for (the spending cap), we'd be in the shape California is in."

But Colorado's fiscal problems have shifted the political winds, with labor unions, social reform groups and liberal activists pointing to the state as an example of troubles revenue limits can bring. "

So just look who opposes spending caps and ask yourself if you really want to side with these groups on fiscal issues.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:33 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
After almost 20 years of working in, not for, the legislative arena in California I generally vote "No!" on all propositions. I view them as an end-run around what our elected representatives SHOULD be doing and have found most of them to be poorly written, badly applied and requiring more fixes than the worst lemon car on the lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California