Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 07:30 AM

566 posts, read 1,939,443 times

Advertisements

Lots of newcommers to CA are looking for good schools. Perhaps they should consider sending their kids to the school where the California Teacher of the Year teaches. And what did he get the award for? Was it increasing API scores? Or perhaps starting a new successful academic competition? Nope, he got the teacher of the year award for using rap to teach mathematics. He was furthered honored by getting to meet BO at the white house.

Keep in mind while you are watching this that these are middle school kids. My 6th grader is already learing algebra in his charter school. Meanwhile these poor kids stuck in the California school system are dancing to rap and trying to figure out where to put the decimal point.

Enjoy: Rappin' Math Teacher (http://video.signonsandiego.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=3924952&item_index=1&genre_id=2713&sort=N ULL - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 07:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
Lots of newcommers to CA are looking for good schools. Perhaps they should consider sending their kids to the school where the California Teacher of the Year teaches. And what did he get the award for? Was it increasing API scores? Or perhaps starting a new successful academic competition? Nope, he got the teacher of the year award for using rap to teach mathematics. He was furthered honored by getting to meet BO at the white house.

Keep in mind while you are watching this that these are middle school kids. My 6th grader is already learing algebra in his charter school. Meanwhile these poor kids stuck in the California school system are dancing to rap and trying to figure out where to put the decimal point.

Enjoy: Rappin' Math Teacher (http://video.signonsandiego.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=3924952&item_index=1&genre_id=2713&sort=N ULL - broken link)
Maybe if he was teaching math he could teach some English like YUR for your?

Things certainly are changing right in from of our eyes and ears...

Thanks for sharing,

Nita

ps I am glad my kids are out of school.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:52 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Lots of newcommers to CA are looking for good schools.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:18 AM

566 posts, read 1,939,443 times
Yes, and there are a couple of other typos. Sorry, need to slow down and proofread. But my algebra is pretty good.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Yes, and there are a couple of other typos. Sorry, need to slow down and proofread. But my algebra is pretty good.
sounds like me, I never proof read as everyone knows...Thank God I majored in Foods and nutrition instead of English..

Nita

Old 05-01-2009, 09:04 AM

I use Firefox. It has a spelling checker.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:47 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,161,747 times
To be fair, don't know many public (or private) schools anywhere in US that are both physically safe and academically competent

Public (and many private) schools are much like mass transit or public housing or any other government-sponsored "service"...can't expect much quality or focus from anything communal

That said, would argue most kids learn most valuable lessons from conversations at family dinner table and are inspired to achieve by career role models they learn about through all kinds of modalities...perhaps Net today, perhaps old-fashioned print business magazines or WSJ >10yrs ago

I know many <40yo high achievers who are products of mediocre, suburban public schools, but achieved at a high level (despite worthless teachers) b/c they knew (from their own readings) that they needed to enter certain colleges (and majors in finance or CompSci/EE) to increase odds of entering elite career paths

Smart, ambitious parents spend more time trying to educate/inspire their kids every day; dumb parents choose to have kids they claim not to have time or funds to raise/educate...and will try to blame society or schools for failing their kids....sort of like how these parents prob blame someone else for their own underachievements/mistakes....

Old 05-01-2009, 03:02 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I use Firefox. It has a spelling checker.
why do you have to belittle people? Does it make you feel better about yourself?

Old 05-01-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
why do you have to belittle people? Does it make you feel better about yourself?
No knucklehead; I posted that so people could benefit from that capability too. I think it was obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California