Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 12:17 PM

430 posts, read 835,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I will take Florida in a heartbeat. It's half the price, yet virtually everything is better besides not having mountains, but all the lakes and blue oceans make up for it.
So everything, just everything is better in Florida? I think I can think of a few things you forgot to include in your calculus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Most people find humidity to be a pretty big deal. This is a chart showing the average dew point in Tampa. Tampa humidity is oppressive from April 23 to November 3.

Now, compare to Sacramento.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaireM View Post
I found the heat in FL to be completely intolerable from about mid-May to late Oct. That means being stuck inside more then HALF the Year! I don't know who this would be acceptable to except those that love sitting inside in the AC (and paying $300 electric bills for the privilege) or those who are not bothered by extreme humidity which makes the "real feel" temp's in FL go over 100 for months on end. The rain does not help. It only increases the humidity, bugs and mold.
Quote:
But if you're like me and are much more interested in a true Mediterranean climate where it is very warm but there are four different distinct seasons, inland California is just as cheap as inland Florida and has much better weather.
Quote:
Even using your numbers, Californians make 30% more in income than Floridians.
If you love the water and are immune to humidity, Florida is honestly a great state for the short-term. That probably doesn't fit the profile of most people though, who want more changes in elevation and at least one hill or mountain in their state not to mention being able to breathe in the summers.

Did you know that Florida is starting to sink due to the melting polar ice caps? Where will your cheap house be in 100 years? You mentioned the rocky cliffs of the California coast, so you can probably guess: California will still be here when Florida is all but gone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 12:52 PM

24,397 posts, read 26,946,756 times
lol, yes Florida will be under the ocean when I reach retirement age just like California will either be in ruins from the next major earthquake slowly floating away towards China and/or become a giant dry desert because of no rain. I guess liberals also have a tin foil wearing sub-group as well lol

Old 10-02-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
lol, yes Florida will be under the ocean when I reach retirement age just like California will either be in ruins from the next major earthquake slowly floating away towards China and/or become a giant dry desert because of no rain. I guess liberals also have a tin foil wearing sub-group as well lol
Ahhh, Republican understanding of science.

But seriously, there is no risk at all that California will ever detach from an earthquake, and in fact the Sacramento and San Diego areas have very small risks of earthquakes. Los Angeles and San Fran are another story, of course, but they're in no real danger of completely detaching either.

While it's true that global warming will bring less rain to California, and droughts may become more frequent, that's something the state can deal with. But there's much more evidence that the polar ice caps are melting, in fact you can watch it happening today live on the Internet if you want.

You can pretend that Florida sinking underwater is just some liberal "theory" but it's happening today in real-life and there's nothing you can do now to prevent it. So believe facts or don't, but just don't say I didn't tell you so. There's a 99.99% chance of it happening eventually unless we can magically stop Mother Nature from running her course. We can't. It's too late. The only question is how fast we are willing to let the ice melt and become water.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:30 PM

Relax buddy, don't be offended I make fun of the far right wingers who wear tin foil hats too, you're just on the opposite end of the spectrum. In reality, California one detach from the US and float away and Florida won't be buried under the sea. The odds of a mega earthquake destroying San Francisco or Los Angeles or a mega hurricane destroying Miami within our life time is 1,000,000,000,000,000x higher than either scenario. However, at least a hurricane will give you lots of time to evacuate, where as an earthquake, you just better hope you are in the right place at the right time.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:38 PM

I'm a pure centrist and not at all on the right wing or left wing. Never have been! Supported Bloomberg in NYC, the recall and The Arnold in California, etc. I do support Democrats nationally because I'm not super religious and am more scientific and logical. Republicans in NYC and CA admit that global warming is happening, whereas nationally the GOP candidates are like "what? I've never heard anything like that!" Like you're doing now.

Hurricanes and earthquakes come and go, but Florida is sinking underwater by micrometers a day. That's a fact. And once the water comes above the land, you won't be able to build a barrier to stop it. That's also a fact. Sinking doesn't come and go. Sinking is forever (at least on the human scale).

I'm not sure what you're saying you don't believe, but Florida is factually sinking further every day.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:47 PM

If you won't listen to me, at least listen to the best scientists in Florida. This is from the University of Miami:
Quote:
Like many low-lying coastal cities around the world, Miami is threatened by rising seas. Whether the majority of the cause is anthropogenic or natural, the end result is indisputable: sea level is rising and it is due to climate change. It is not a political issue, nor does it matter if someone believes in it or not.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I'm a pure centrist and not at all on the right wing or left wing.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:07 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Relax buddy, don't be offended I make fun of the far right wingers who wear tin foil hats too, you're just on the opposite end of the spectrum. In reality, California one detach from the US and float away and Florida won't be buried under the sea.
I pray you are correct on both accounts. But the way things look, nobody's getting out alive.

Florida Map - Global Warming Sea Level Rise Map

Old 10-02-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
I pray you are correct on both accounts. But the way things look, nobody's getting out alive.

Florida Map - Global Warming Sea Level Rise Map
Great map! At 13 meters, the following cities no longer exist.

Miami
Fort Lauderdale
Jacksonville
Tampa
New Orleans
Charleston
Norfolk
Brooklyn
The Bahamas (all of it)
and... Sacramento!

Crap.

It's funny yet sad to realize that Sacramento is standing on lower ground than either San Fran or Los Angeles. Then again, it's far enough inland that a giant wall and damn could be constructed around Vacaville.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:33 PM

lol, having lived in both places and hearing crazies on both sides, just makes me realize people are more similar than different especially the ones on the extreme ends of the pole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California