Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 04:36 AM

221 posts, read 798,358 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but generally speaking people in Florida are way more fake and materialistic than people in California. California is a very progressive state with some of the best universities in the world, some of the most innovative people, the most interesting cities. Its a very diverse place where you can pretty much find anything youre looking for.

Florida is the kind of place you go when you realize you have no soul left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
Melissa, move to FLORIDA. Florida has real people and we live in reality, at least I do. Florida has most all the nice things the west coast has except mountains. You can live a pretty good life here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 11:29 AM

25 posts, read 171,028 times
Yeah I wanted to address the comments by "The Floridian". You must work with the state tourism agency or for Charlie Crist because Florida is a joke. Before you discredit me though, I currently live in Florida, have lived in Florida for 4 years now, and am looking to get out with California being where I am focusing my energy on.

First of all, Erin is exactly right in her comments. People in Florida are just as materialistic as California and 10x more fake than California. Everyone comes to Florida expecting to live the "Florida lifestyle", even though no one here has a clue what that is. Everyone for whatever reason thinks that they can move to Florida, never work again, and just drink margarita's on the beach all day, and are shocked when they get here. Also, if you live in Florida you better have either a New York/Boston accent or be of Cuban/Puerto Rican descent, or you will not fit in at all. People in Florida are shallow, mean, and stay in their little clique of friends and never try anything new. A lot of the older people here in Florida are not happy and try to do a very bad job at hiding it. They don't call Florida "death's waiting room" for nothing.

In terms of the economy and jobs (since you will need one to afford to rent or pay a mortgage which are not that much better than California), if you don't have anything lined up you will be selling t-shirts or dealing with rude guests working at a hotel for minimum wage. There are RN's here that only make $11-$12 an hour and hotel managers that only make $13-$14 an hour, that should tell you something.Compared to Florida, California is such a progressive state, there is a greater variety of things to do (if you don't like the beach, fishing, or golfing there is absolutely NOTHING to do in Florida), more opportunities in a variety of economic sectors, and the people are nicer and more open. Nevermind California weather is a lot better (in Florida you do not want to leave your house from early May to the end of September), the beaches are much more beautiful, and you have the advantage of being close to the beach and the mountains (closet mountains to Florida are 8 - 10 hours away in Georgia/North Carolina). Diversity is a big joke as well, California has a lot of different cultures that mix together and a variety of groups, activities, and restaurants to enjoy. The biggest decision you will make in Florida in terms of variety is Walmart vs. Target or Olive Garden vs. Carrabbas.

"The Floridian", I am glad you enjoy Florida, but do not disrespect California or other states. Florida wishes it had half of the economic opportunities and half of the natural wonder that California has. Unless you enjoy the beach, golfing, or fishing, Florida is boring and the cost of living in Florida is not that much better than California. Nevermind that Florida might soon have a state income tax, which would eliminate the only real advantage Florida has over California. I'll take California over Florida anyday. I am attempting to get out to California sometime this year if all works out. I am just keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:47 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Most of our RN's also have other innitials such as BMW, MB, AUDI, and plenty of others. I know of plenty of nurses pulling in $80, $90, $100 thousand incomes. Some work 3 12's with us, put themselves on our inhouse registry and make even more on the 2 days that they are on registry. Others work here and at other hospitals in the area. I can drive to 8 differant hospitals within a half hour from my home. 3 of them are less than 15 minutes away. I know an RT that worked two jobs full time to save up and pay cash for his $80,000 boat. He did that in a years time. Most of the nurses that I know also own homes. Some own rentals as well. For someone coming here now the prices have declined. Homes that were selling for $1,000,000 are in the high $500,000 range. Homes that were selling for the low $600 range are now in the high to mid $300,000 range. We do live in a differant world now.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:22 PM

44 posts, read 154,844 times
I think its all a matter of what you do for a living. Many come out here from lower wage areas and are quite shocked at the cost of living.
Somehow, people just do. Then there are those who move to areas where the cost of living is much lower, and in turn, so are the wages. Sort of a 20-20 thing I guess.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:25 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,666,419 times
There is only one thing about Oregon to consider. The people there are either totally closed to outsiders or way out in left field (kind of like hippies) There areen't many middle of the road people. You may not like them. However, think about WA. Especially in Seattle, there are a lot of medical centers.
As for your choice of Mendecino in Calirornia, that is one of the more pricey places to relocate. There are plenty of other places that are affordable. Review the California blogs to see where they are.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:27 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,317,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa E View Post
I am thinking of moving to Oregon now, but I orginally was interested in living in CA (live in MO now). I am freaked out about the housing prices I have seen out there. I honestly do not understand how the average people can afford it there at all? I was wanting to live around the Mendocino area orginally ... average house price was what $948,000? But, not just there, everywhere I have looked. I am an RN and not sure what the wage difference is there for RNS, but I make $28 an hour here (that's working nights & weekends) and I can't imagine paying more for rent now than what I do. If I moved to CA I'm afraid I'd always live in poverty.
Does anyone know RNs there and average wages? Also is there housing and rental places I'm not coming across online that aren't so bad? Any thoughts?
You could move to any of the rural areas of CA and do much better than the more expensive places. My wife is an NP and when we moved from the Bay Area, her wages went down, but no where near as much as the cost of living went down. We live much better here in a rural area than we ever did in the big city.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:40 PM

84 posts, read 189,548 times
Here in Ventura County it can be rather expensive. Living near the beach, you are basically paying for the luxury of being near the beach and overall the weather. I have lived here all my life and I see people who own homes yet, they rent out a room to one or two persons. It is not unusual to see two families sharing one home, whether it is a rental home or one that is mortgaged. I suppose it all comes down to whether one is making a great wage AND living within their means. Just renting an apartment here it is expensive. The rents can be more than a mortgage payment sometimes. I know people who have left to live in Bakersfield or Fresno to find cheap homes. They are successful but what about those high bills they end up paying for those cold winter months or the hot summers? I feel like what they save by buying a cheaper home there, they make up for it by paying high utility bills. At least here, we have great weather and I never rely on A/C. We have some cold days but I never use the heater. I bought a portable room heater and rely on that and just dress warm.

The luxury of living here where I do, you can travel to the mountains for snow and then later in the same day you can go to the beach. I have done that and it is a remarkable experience. I could go on and on but overall it depends what your needs and wants are compared to what you can live with and live without. I wish you luck on whatever you decide.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:38 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,291,338 times
Rent that's how. Not everybody needs to own a house. I fell into that trap now I'm foreclosing. Owning is overrated. We make close to 200 K per year and owning a 400K home takes up most of that. It's ridiculous, we'd rather rent and save 60% of our income.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:40 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,995,168 times
All that sunshine and great weather is expensive. And I found it wasn't worth it. I moved somewhere else that is prettier, cleaner, and I got a house for $160,000 that would have cost me $600,000 in Southern California.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:02 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,910,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa E View Post
I am thinking of moving to Oregon now, but I orginally was interested in living in CA (live in MO now). I am freaked out about the housing prices I have seen out there. I honestly do not understand how the average people can afford it there at all? I was wanting to live around the Mendocino area orginally ... average house price was what $948,000? But, not just there, everywhere I have looked. I am an RN and not sure what the wage difference is there for RNS, but I make $28 an hour here (that's working nights & weekends) and I can't imagine paying more for rent now than what I do. If I moved to CA I'm afraid I'd always live in poverty.
Does anyone know RNs there and average wages? Also is there housing and rental places I'm not coming across online that aren't so bad? Any thoughts?
Here's my experience on how people afford the astronomical housing prices in CA:

1) Have lived in California for greater than 40 years where housing prices were a tenth or less of what they are now

2) Have parents who lived in California for greater than 40 years and either inherit or they sell the house to you for way under value

3) Bought a house 30 years ago in a dumpier area and kept "buying up" as each house appreciated in value tremendously

4) Have lots and lots of money to begin with

5) Go into astronomical amounts of debt

In 2009, (5) isn't working anymore, (4) are kind of still here, but some are leaving, (3) have left or thinking of leaving the state, which leaves (1) and (2) remaining here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California