Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 12:18 PM

167 posts, read 590,919 times

Advertisements

November 5, 2011

To give you a little background, I am a 47 year old tree-hugging liberal who is married to a 58 year old conservative, NRA life member. I will be moving to Ridgecrest in December, with a job at a major employer. Over time, I will post what I have encountered, observations I have made, etc. One caveat, though: It is my belief that a person's professional life should remain private and off of the internet, so I will not be discussing anything work-related, except for a little bit from my interview, as it pertains to the personalities in the town.

Feel free to make comments, ask questions, etc.

Last week, I flew into Los Angeles and drove during evening rush hour to Ridgecrest. Partway through, I encountered a mileage sign that said "Ridgecrest: 6". After 10 miles, I got confused because I hadn't hit the turnoff, so I turned around, found a Stater Brothers and asked for directions. The woman in the store was very friendly and helpful. It turns out that someone removed the "0" from the "60 miles" on the sign! So, off I went again. By this time, the sun was going down and I arrived in Ridgecrest after dark. Not a great way to see the town.

I checked into the Carriage Inn. The room was clean with all the amenities one expects for a motel. My only complaint, which isn't really a big one, is the adjoining door to another room, which always freaks me out when I'm traveling alone. I quickly put a chair in front of it, haha. The bed was mega comfy with huge, fluffy pillows. I sank into it and quickly fell asleep.

The next morning, I woke up to a beautiful sunrise. The sky was an amazing color of red and the birds were already singing. I went to my potential job and wandered around for a few minutes, watching how the staff interacted with non-staff. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. My future employer was very forthcoming about the town, climate, etc., but I assured him that I had family who grew up in Trona, so I knew what I was getting into.

After the interview, I took some time driving around town and up into the hills to get an overview. The day was chilly, but not that damp cold I get here in Washington state. All the vehicles observed the speed limits and were courteous.

I went back to the motel to have lunch, but first went to ask at the desk if there was anywhere I could get a map of the town. When I explained I was there for an interview, the woman said, "oh no!" I laughed and she questioned me as to why I wanted to move to Ridgecrest. After telling her about the job, I also told her that Ridgecrest is three times the size of the town I am in now (so it seems big to me) and that I was raised in Las Vegas (so I'm used to the heat). It seems that the locals are used to "outsiders" getting culture shock when they come there.

Lunch was a simple grilled cheese sandwich at Charlie’s Pub and Grill, the little diner attached to the Carriage Inn. They were about to close for the afternoon, but I never felt rushed. The sandwich was typical diner fare, which is fine by me.

I then drove around some more and ended up watching the sunset at Red Rock Canyon State Park, a beautiful series of rock formations. The sunset was even more beautiful than the sunrise. I stayed well into dark and marveled at the view of the Milky Way. This was definitely an astronomer's dream climate. Dinner was at the other restaurant attached to the Carriage Inn, the Café Potpourri. The orange duck was adequate, though tough in some parts, but the cinnamon white chocolate cheese cake was outstanding!

Unfortunately, I had to go back to the airport the next day, then to home to await the results of the interview. In the meantime, I sent an email to Vaughn Realty about a rental, but, alas I have not heard a peep from them in reply.

When I arrived home, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my request for information from the Chamber of Commerce had arrived sooner than expected. It was FULL of great information about the town and I feel even more informed than ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 12:22 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Waiting for David Aguilar and Summer temps to show up.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:41 PM

400 posts, read 294,176 times
Since you mention Red Rock Canyon State Park, maybe you're outdoorsy and like hiking and/or backpacking?

If so, you're nicely situation between the Sierra Nevada (Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks, Sequoia & and Inyo National Forests) to the west and Death Valley National Park to the northeast (much of which includes mountains which are quite nice even in mid-summer when the valleys are unearthly hot).

And the desert around you is dotted with small mountain ranges with protected wilderness on BLM land, lots of solitude!

Old 11-05-2011, 01:46 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,719 times
Stayed there one night on the way home from the Sierra Nevada. It is the only place I've seen where hotels have The Pentagon Channel on their list of cable channels.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:26 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times
"I am a 47 year old tree-hugging liberal who is married to a 58 year old conservative, NRA life member"

I take it that your golden rule is to not talk politics at home

Ridgecrest ... well you have a decent lake not too far away ... and I'm not talking China Lake

Old 11-05-2011, 02:27 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
This is a nice change of pace from the usual.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:29 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmaven View Post
My only complaint, which isn't really a big one, is the adjoining door to another room, which always freaks me out when I'm traveling alone. I quickly put a chair in front of it, haha.
Speaking as another NRA Life member... I'd have DARED someone to come through that door.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Waiting for David Aguilar and Summer temps to show up.
David who? As for summer temperatures, I grew up in Las Vegas and we used to play on the asphalt in bare feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbous Moon View Post
Since you mention Red Rock Canyon State Park, maybe you're outdoorsy and like hiking and/or backpacking? If so, you're nicely situation between the Sierra Nevada (Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks, Sequoia & and Inyo National Forests) to the west and Death Valley National Park to the northeast (much of which includes mountains which are quite nice even in mid-summer when the valleys are unearthly hot). And the desert around you is dotted with small mountain ranges with protected wilderness on BLM land, lots of solitude!
As a side business for myself, I'm a nature and wildlife photographer, so the access to those kinds of areas are exactly how I like to spend my free time. Heck, even cracked dry riverbeds are beautiful to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
Stayed there one night on the way home from the Sierra Nevada. It is the only place I've seen where hotels have The Pentagon Channel on their list of cable channels.
Hahahhahaha. The hubby can watch that. I have a laptop and can download old Star Trek episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
"I am a 47 year old tree-hugging liberal who is married to a 58 year old conservative, NRA life member"

I take it that your golden rule is to not talk politics at home
Actually, we've had some pretty lively conversations. I've swayed him on some issues, and he's swayed me. I voted for the Republican in the last Presidential election, for example.

Quote:
Ridgecrest ... well you have a decent lake not too far away ... and I'm not talking China Lake
Isabella Lake, if I'm not mistaken. I hear they have great fishing! *salivates*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
This is a nice change of pace from the usual.
Whoo hoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Speaking as another NRA Life member... I'd have DARED someone to come through that door.
*snort* Yeah. I didn't think the airline would allow me to bring the Glock. We're already researching the gun laws for the move. Looks like the CCW that he has won't be able to be transferred and he's bummed about that. According to what we've read, he would have to get the approval from a sheriff of the county.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:34 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmaven View Post
David who? As for summer temperatures, I grew up in Las Vegas and we used to play on the asphalt in bare feet.

*snort* Yeah. I didn't think the airline would allow me to bring the Glock. We're already researching the gun laws for the move. Looks like the CCW that he has won't be able to be transferred and he's bummed about that. According to what we've read, he would have to get the approval from a sheriff of the county.
Las Vegas is a Garden of Eden compared to Ridgecrest in the Summer.

Well have fun.

Here is something to get you started on our gun laws. A CCW might be easier to get in Ridgecrest than is most other counties of the state. A Police Chief or Sheriff can issue them. Try the Police Chief first then give the Sheriff a try.
Main Page - Calguns Wiki

Calguns.net - Powered by vBulletin

Calguns Foundation

California Gun Laws

Old 11-06-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Las Vegas is a Garden of Eden compared to Ridgecrest in the Summer.
We spent every summer in Trona visiting my grandmother.

Thanks for the links regarding the gun laws! Very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California