Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:00 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Nice find.
I knew campus fees varied I just needed to find the info. For example, at Cal Poly SLO they have had college based academic/instructional fees (by major) for several years. I know hear some programs at other CSUs are now looking to do the same, those fees only go to support the major program that collects them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
The Bakersfield campus probably has the most bang for the buck since it is the only Cal State campus that is still on the quarter system.
Bakersfield is not the only one. I believe also CSULA, CSU East Bay, CSU San Bernardino, and both the Cal Polys are quarter schools. Stanislaus State is on a modified semester system that includes a 4 week winter session.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 03:58 PM

261 posts, read 1,351,185 times
Like others said, going to a community college and then a CSU would be the least expensive way to go for sure. Way cheaper than the online colleges or UC colleges.

Unless you need to go to an expensive college because your future job depends on the reputation of the college, you should consider the above mentioned path. I went to Chico State, and it was very inexpensive. I believe it was the cheapest or one of the cheapest in terms of tuition and housing. I never lived in the dorms, instead I rented a nice apartment in a quiet neighborhood, but the cost of living there is much lower than many other places in the UC and CSU systems.

I know many people will turn their noses if you say you went to Chico State, or any CSU, but the truth is you get a great education at an affordable price. I'm a teacher, and I already have all of my loans paid off because I went the cheap route. But my Cal Poly friends are not even close to paying off their loans. We all make the same amount of money. So it really depends on what you plan on doing with your degree and if that degree translates to more money if it came from a particular kind of college.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:15 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyballer View Post
So it really depends on what you plan on doing with your degree and if that degree translates to more money if it came from a particular kind of college.
Also may depend on the type of degree. I went to CSU Northridge for my undergrad (BS Electrical Engineering). For my first job, I was sitting in the same row as guys from UCLA, UCSB, Purdue, and Georgia Tech. I'm sure they started with a little higher salary than I did. But after your first job, the school the degree was earned from and your GPA become less and less a factor and your experience and accomplishments become bigger factors.

By the way, even though CSUN isn't a highly rated school, it's engineering department wasn't a piece of cake. With all the aerospace engineers in the San Fernando Valley at the time (through the 1980s), the student body of CSUN was loaded with kids whose dads worked at Rocketdyne, Hughes, Lockheed, Teledyne, Litton, etc. Some good genes there.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 6,589 times
Definately a fan of the CSU system, graduated from CSULB in 87 and felt well prepared for my future career. Plus the bang for the buck simply cannot be beat, especially when you factor in future income potential vs the relatively low college costs.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:24 AM

409 posts, read 1,830,607 times
all things considered probably Humboldt State as the cost of living is lesser. It's also one of the better CSU's and the location is really nice. The CSU system is very large and depending on what you want to study they are of varying quality. There are four or five that really excel, particularly in their areas of specialty. There are CSU's throughout the state so you might think about what kind of place you want to live in and then look at what school is there.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:03 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
The CSU campuses have some variation in fees.

There is a standard system base fee, but campuses can impose special fees that increase the cost at an individual location. Additionally, Cal Poly SLO has special fees that vary not just for their campus but by major.

Just the fees for attending for a year at a CSU will range from about $4370 at Long Beach to about $6498 at Cal Poly (actual amount there depends upon the major). Then you have to look at housing costs in an area.

This cost of attending spreadsheet shows the current estimated costs at each campus for fees, books, living expenses, etc:
http://www.calstate.edu/SAS/documents/2009-2010_COA.xls
That is a very good bit of info. I don't suppose you've found one similar for the UC system?

Old 09-18-2009, 08:13 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
That is a very good bit of info. I don't suppose you've found one similar for the UC system?
Not one that shows all UC campuses on a single sheet.

I tried looking for one but it appears the estimated total cost info is only on each individual campus web site. The system site seems to only have an average of all UC campuses.

Maybe someone else can have better luck finding a consolidated sheet for UC.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:52 PM

251 posts, read 767,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
What is the least expensive college or university in california for a california resident, just considering tuition and fees, not anything else? I'm talking about a four year school not the community colleges because i know those are really inexpensive, unless there are community colleges in california that allow you to get a bachelors degree then plaease enlighten me to that. Thank you.
i'll go ahead and echo what everyone else has already stated.

csu's are probably your best bet and even though fees are going up, it's still affordable to attend.

csu's advantage is what their emphasis is on... and it's mainly for vocational careers. csu's are for people who want a job right after going to school.. which could also explain the "commuter" populations.

i think another advantage is that there are many campuses to choose from.

uc's aren't too bad as well.. but they are a bit more expensive than csu's. really, it all depends on what you're personal preference is.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:19 AM

9 posts, read 19,583 times
Soka University in Aliso Viejo has free tuition for people who make 60,000 or less a year. I don't believe you have to be Buddhist either. It's a great campus with wonderful people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California