Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2007, 05:20 PM

296 posts, read 1,183,414 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any knowledge or opinions regarding this area of LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 09:06 PM

57 posts, read 296,725 times
Smile Hi. I live in Shadow Hills

Hello. I live in Shadow Hills. We are in the process of relocating to New York, but as far as southern Ca goes...we love it here. I grew up in Burbank which is less than 10 minutes from here. Most of the homes here are on at least 1/2 an acre which is rare for southern CA, and it is all zoned for horses. Pretty mountains are all around. I'll be listing my house for $935,000, but the median range is $750,000 to 1 million. Sunland is much less expensive, but not as nice. The schools here aren't good, but there are a few good private schools very close by. If you want horse property in the San Fernando Valley, this is much bigger bang for your buck than Toluca Lake, or Chatsworth, ect. It has a real "country" feel here. We have ducks, but a lot of people have chickens, roosters, peacocks. You can pretty much have any animal you want. If New York doesn't work out for us, we'll be coming back to Shadow Hills for sure. If you need any more advice, email me at Nbrakern@i134.com.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:52 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,934,929 times
Sunland/ Shadow Hills.... The traffic on Sunland Blvd. up to the 210 is divine, the smog level is terrific, the congestion of neighbors is awesome and the surrounding communities (Pacoima, Lake View Terrace, San Fernando, Sun Valley, North Hollywood, etc.) are great places to shop, spend time with the family, etc. All things you'd get to look forward to just to have a 91041 zip code!

Hope you can read the sarcasm there. Sorry, but there's really nothing in that area worth $750- $935/ $1 million. But everyone stills seems to want to buy stuff just to be in California. My folks just sold their little house in Burbank for over $700,000. Doesn't mean it's worth it... just means someone was willing to pay that for it.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:59 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,934,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbrakern View Post
The schools here aren't good, but there are a few good private schools very close by. [/email].
Yeah, LAUFSD is a great producer of fine education and the alternative private school you speak of is cheap.

K-12 Tuition at Village Christian School:
1st Child .................................................. .................................................. ............$8,053.00 per year OR $732.10 per month for 11 months
2nd Child .................................................. .................................................. ...........$7,651.00 per year OR $695.55 per month for 11 months

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-11-2007, 10:50 PM

16 posts, read 27,595 times
Love this whole rural feel area !
I live in Sunland and my horse lives at my
sister in law's in Shadow Hills ! She and I ride
our horses on weekends and it's such a treat I must say !

Most LAUSD schools are great for elementary level but
please please PLEASE stay away from the Middle School and
High School . The private schools here are great, ranging
from $325 mo - $700 ( Our Lady Of Lourdes Catholic School, Trinity Christian and Village Christian ).

Old 02-06-2008, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 8,535 times
If you think you will be living in an animal loving community, FORGET IT!!!!!! Yes, true this is SUPPOSED TO BE Rural Horse property, but now that prices have gone through the sky most neighbors do like like the smell. WE moved into this hell hole almost 5 years ago and now are running for a safer place to live. Our neighbors are all animal haters. Since this is the city of LA, watch out....they will be knocking on your door. No more than 3 cats, 3 dogs and it does not make a difference how much property you have. Neighbors are nosey, they prey into your business and have a sense of being snotty. This neighborhood was a quite town run by lower class whites and bikers, now it's neighbors that think it's impressive to have "Horse Property" but do not like animals, their smell or the noises they make. I tell you now, if you have animals....run, run for a better place to live. This is a nightmare come true.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 8,463 times
Default Correction on tuition

Correction: The tuition for Village Christian in Sun Valley (near Shadow Hills) jumped 50% for the coming year from $8,053 to $12,150, plus fees and uniform expense, per child. Financial policies quietly changed as well, including a requirement for every parent to recruit students to the school and severe financial penalties for pulling students out mid-year. They have not determined yet how much more the tuition will be the following year. Try searching GreatSchools.net for info about public and private schools in L.A. Our kids loved Village but there is a lot of change going on now.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:42 PM

7 posts, read 23,904 times
I live in Sunland, and it sucks! SOME elementary schools are ok, but like it was said before, the middle and high schools are like training camps for future prisoners. I can't even go to the library anymore if the schools are out, because all those little thugs hang out over there and cause major problems. The bathrooms walls are all written on, there are so many fights that the cops have to be there just to keep the peace. I was there once when a fight broke out, just what I wanted my 1 and 4 year old to see. I go to Burbank now if I need to go to the library.
Besides the teenage future gang members, there is a HUGE homeless problem here. Now I wouldn't care if they just left you alone. Most of them seem to be out of their minds and drunk all of the time, and I've seen them harass people all the time. I don't even take my kids to the park anymore because the homeless have taken over. Every other word out of their mouth is "F" this and that. I was at the store and saw a homeless man attack a woman who was just walking past him. I go to La Canada or Burbank for all my shopping now too.
The crime level out here is rising too. Trust me, it's not the 1st place you would want to live. I mean, I guess it's better than Compton or Panorama City, but not by far!
So, bottom line, if you need to move to this area, pay the extra money and live in Burbank or La Canada, so atleast you can live in a town where you can shop locally and not have to worry about some crazy drunk or gangster bothering you. I can't wait to leave this hell hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California