Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2010, 11:37 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This post belongs on Stormfront. How the hell does City-Data allow this crap?
Because there are mods who are sympathetic to white supremacist ideals.

That's why City-Data's turning into "Stormfront-Data" with garbage like this and Craptastic neo-Nazi screeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 11:40 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Canada didn't "adopt" French. French has been spoken in what is now Quebec for as long or longer than English has pretty much anywhere in Canada or the United States.
Yes, but what I'm saying is within Quebec the official language is French, Canada on a whole recognizes both English and French as official languages. Though most people in Quebec speak English, they are strong to their heritage to not change it.

Case in point unilingual stop signs:

http://en.wikivisual.com/images/9/9f/Arret.jpg (broken link)

Bilingual Spanish/English Stop Signs are popping up in Miami:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hans74te/4017600981/sizes/z/in/photostream/ (broken link)

Old 08-13-2010, 11:41 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Yeah, let's censor people who don't agree with us!

Old 08-13-2010, 11:46 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This post belongs on Stormfront. How the hell does City-Data allow this crap?
I want to know how someone can trace back their family history 500 years and know what occupation they had, that's amazing!

Old 08-13-2010, 11:47 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,383,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Yeah, let's censor people who don't agree with us!
Do you always have to be so even-handed?

Old 08-13-2010, 11:56 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R66 View Post
This user is 100% correct.

The only Americans I know of that give Americans a bad name ( abroad ) are young black American men that frequent 3rd world Strip Clubs, Termas, etc. These are mostly young wealthy pro sport athletes of the NBA, NFL and MLB or Rap Artists.

Thank you
Well, I've lived in the UK and also spent a lot of time in Scotland, Paris and Amsterdam. The Americans I saw in those places who were giving the rest of us a bad name were as white as I am. One cringe-worthy moment of national embarassment which really stands out was an incident in Charles De Gaulle airport. I was in Paris for a change-over flight back to the USA to visit my family. While walking along to our boarding area my husband and I noticed a rather loud and obnoxious group of drunk American men. There was also a lone man near them who I later found out was from Eastern Europe. He was very obviously lost & confused. He approached the group of American men and I could see him showing them his boarding tickets, obviously looking for directions. Those louts stood there loudly and publicly taking the **** out of this poor man, pointing in every direction around them, and then finally one of the American guys pushed him away. My husband and I walked over to help the poor guy out and when one of the drunken fools made a rude comment to me I stepped up in his face and loudly declared what an embarassment they all were to the United States and that they were disgusting pigs! That is when two big Russian guys also stepped in and chased off the American guys, LOL! I kid you not! LOL!

As an American living outside the USA for a number of years here is what I observed... the news reports are true. Many Americans when abroad do indeed behave loudly, obnoxiously and superior to the native inhabitants. When I returned to the USA I immediately noticed how much louder we speak.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:59 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
I want to know how someone can trace back their family history 500 years and know what occupation they had, that's amazing!
It can, and has been done. My DOCUMENTED ancestry goes back well over 900 years. There are a plethora of old records which can be accessed to determine many things about one's ancestors, sometimes even a description of what they looked like. It all depends on not only what country they came from, but also which area within the country. Some places kept well extensive records, while others were only sporadic.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:07 PM

514 posts, read 686,598 times
Quote:

Except that for French-speaking Canadians, we're not really talking about a "new home country" that they moved to...
My apologies, I did not notice I used the term "moved to"

Quote:
It can, and has been done. My DOCUMENTED ancestry goes back well over 900 years.
900 years. 2010, minus 900+, sounds like 1056, another one O them Norman archers I betcha.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:08 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Yes, but what I'm saying is within Quebec the official language is French, Canada on a whole recognizes both English and French as official languages. Though most people in Quebec speak English, they are strong to their heritage to not change it.

Case in point unilingual stop signs:
Well, Canada has 10 provinces. Only one of them is bilingual (New Brunswick). Eight are officially "English" and one is offically French (Quebec).

It is true that the Canadian federal government is officially bilingual, but this applies to French being "propped up" outside Quebec as much as it does English being "propped up" within Quebec.

Not sure if this is what you are alluding to but it would certainly not be accurate to say that Quebec is French only whereas the rest of the country is wholly bilingual in English and French.

As for "most people" in Quebec speaking English, this is really not true either. About 65% of the population in Quebec speaks only French.

But yes, it is accurate that people in Quebec generally feel strongly about their heritage and do not wish to see it eviscerated.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:10 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
My apologies, I did not notice I used the term "moved to"

No worries!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California