Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:23 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times

Advertisements

Did anyone see the new special on A&E on Arcata's pot "industry?" The program interviewed people who made such claims; 100 homes within a square mile are pot dealing homes, people who always felt safe in Arcata now feel the need to carry guns, 1/7 of the population is involved somehow in the pot trade, even politicans often see pot (not medical) as a victimless crime, crime when up dramatically in the last 15 years, one can smell the pot in many backyards and the cost of living went up so much because landlords can get more rent from pot dealers. (This refers ONLY to criminal commercialization of pot, even the people disgusted with pot support medical marijuana for sick people). Anyway, my question is this...Is the problem really that bad in that part of northern California? Is rising crime and the rising cost of living really as bad as some say? Are that many members of the community involved in the trade? Is pot really expanding that rapidly in the area or has it been around for decades? Please explain how the situation really is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 08:25 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,519,970 times
Pot? rising crime? A contradiction.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:52 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Yes it is that bad. My father lives in Ukiah, which has pretty much the same problems as Arcata, and he tells me all about the crime and other related issues. The crime there is outta of control and outsiders have basically taken advantage of the region's lax views on pot. The region has always been a huge pot growing area but these problems have arouse recently in the past few years.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:57 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Pot? rising crime? A contradiction.
Thank you.
However, the greed filled trade element is problematic and increasingly so and it is not a good thing.
But on another note, a good law was passed today, was it not?
I just heard a snippet on the radio.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:24 PM

77 posts, read 274,731 times
That show was too dramatic. It made marijuana seem like the devil.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:39 AM

One needs to break the pot business down into its components. In the forest there are Mexican Mafia pot farmers, the La Brea Fire in Santa Barbara County burned 89,000 acres, it was started by a pot farmer cooking fire.

Near there several hikers were run out of our public land by rifle toting Mexican Mafia pot farmers.

The stereotypical Vietnam Vet pot farmer with guns and booby traps exists.

These guys are bad guys.

The normal everyday pot farmer is just working his crop making a living. The drug itself, inspite of all efforts to paint it otherwise is a harmless drug (for myself, I don't put ashes into my lungs, so I don't smoke anything). Millions of Americans smoke pot.[I am glad to see the Obama Administration does not have its head in its "pot"

Legalize the stuff and the bad guys will go the way of whiskey runners after prohibition was lifted, they will follow the Dodo into extinction.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Did anyone see the new special on A&E on Arcata's pot "industry?" The program interviewed people who made such claims; 100 homes within a square mile are pot dealing homes, people who always felt safe in Arcata now feel the need to carry guns, 1/7 of the population is involved somehow in the pot trade, even politicans often see pot (not medical) as a victimless crime, crime when up dramatically in the last 15 years, one can smell the pot in many backyards and the cost of living went up so much because landlords can get more rent from pot dealers. (This refers ONLY to criminal commercialization of pot, even the people disgusted with pot support medical marijuana for sick people). Anyway, my question is this...Is the problem really that bad in that part of northern California? Is rising crime and the rising cost of living really as bad as some say? Are that many members of the community involved in the trade? Is pot really expanding that rapidly in the area or has it been around for decades? Please explain how the situation really is!
I am not an expert on Arcata, but I will make a few comments: 1-those programs are usually a little exagerated as they are on to entertain and only the spectacular will entertain and hold our interests. Now, that being said, yes, Arcata is a pot smokers and harvester dream city. This is sad, as the area is so prestine and lovely. I don't know if it will ever become a truely desirable place for the average American family to live.

Humboldt County has always been slightly depressed, the slowing of the timber industry has added to this and pot has become a source of income for many plus the availibity of it is attracting a group of people many of us would just as soon not be neighbors with.

Nita

Old 10-20-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I don't know if it will ever become a truely desirable place for the average American family to live.
Average American families smoke pot. Firemen, architects, teachers, shop owners, supermarket managers, fishermen, lifeguards, (one of my least favorite idioms.... "and the list goes on and on.""

To think that some how those who consume alcohol are "average" and those who consume pot are "undesirable" worries me.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Average American families smoke pot. Firemen, architects, teachers, shop owners, supermarket managers, fishermen, lifeguards, (one of my least favorite idioms.... "and the list goes on and on.""

To think that some how those who consume alcohol are "average" and those who consume pot are "undesirable" worries me.
Clarks, I was not referring to "average American family" in those terms, I was thinking more safety, enviorment, etc plus I would disagree with you: maybe in Ca the "average" American family smoke pot, but believe me this doesn't hold true everywhere in our country. It might for you and your friends, maybe you smoke it with your kids for all I know, but I can assure you and I have lived in serveral states, have raised kids, watched grandkids grow up and I do not think your statement is true. I am not talking about what you or others did in college or as young people, nor even maybe what I did, I am talking about people after they grow up, if they do.

I don't believe anyone has mentioned those who smoke pot are "undesirable" we are talking about the area overall. No, I would not raise my kids in Arcata and yes, most of my family have tried pot. There is a difference, now go smoke all you want.

Nita

Old 10-20-2009, 10:47 AM

I think if you had read my posts you would have seen where I do not smoke anything, to infer that because I state average Americans smoke pot that I would smoke pot with my children is very sad.

Statistics show up to 20 million pot smokers in the US. Normal everyday people, your neighbors.

Again, your inference that I do drugs is not accurate, and is sad, it does not reflect well on your critical thinking skills. Post Ergo Not Propter Hoc

Last edited by Clarks; 10-20-2009 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California