Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 09:26 AM

371 posts, read 1,822,566 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of junior colleges on that list that don't really seem to fit your criteria, mostly because they would be very rural, as already mentioned. You might as well strike Taft College off your list; if you knew where it was and what kind of place you'dbe living in, you most likely wouldn't even give it a second thought. It's in a very rural, very poor, very isolated, very ugly and depressing oil town outside of Bakersfield... the place just sucks period.

Santa Rosa JC is a very good junior college... have had a lot of friends that started there, and I took a class there myself before I transferred to Cal Poly, SLO. It is accessible by bus, and that's probably the most ideal form of transportation (maybe with a bike), since parking can be really REALLY bad there.

I'm a little confused over your statement... you say you're not sure you can transfer in to a UC or CSU unless you can be considered a junior? I've never heard of such a thing... typically those university systems want transfers because they are more likely to finish, have better grades, etc.

I went to Mendocino College in Ukiah (again quite rural, but a good school nonetheless), got an AA, took additional class down at the SRJC, and then transfered to Cal Poly as a junior. Finished my BS in two more years, and am now finishing my Masters here.

San Luis Obispo is a perfect town for getting around easily without your own transportation. The bus system is interlinked with the campus, so that there's a bus going back and forth from the campus to downtown all through the day. However, if you'd have to finish your lower division classes first, that means you'd have to go to Cuesta College, and it's outside of town and not as easily accessible without a car.

From all the junior colleges you mentioned, I'd say SRJC is the most urban and most accessible. Shasta College is up near Redding, and I think may be fairly accessible with a bus... College of the Redwoods in is Fort Bragg, and is outside of town a bit, but not so far out that you couldn't get there with a bike. That's another very rural and isolated college setting, although Ft Bragg is kind of cool if you can stand it and the eclectic types who live there.

I can't say much about those other colleges.... Also, I don't think the entire UC and CSU system has any policy on not admitting lower division transfer students... I'd give it a shot and apply straight to the schools you want to get your undergrad degree in. Remember that going to some small town with a junior college first is going to take a while and may just unnecessarily set you back. If you do go that route, I think it would be wiser to choose a JC that is in an urban area, that way you'll already be around a lot of 4-year and higher universities when the time comes you want to transfer. So basically, look for JCs in either the Bay Area, or the Los Angeles area. There are tons of community colleges in CA, so finding a good one in one of those areas will not be a problem. But again, I'd just apply straight to whatever UCs or CSUs you want and give it a shot.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 11:48 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,519,970 times
Quote:
College of the Redwoods in is Fort Bragg, and is outside of town a bit, but not so far out that you couldn't get there with a bike. That's another very rural and isolated college setting, although Ft Bragg is kind of cool if you can stand it and the eclectic types who live there.
Eureka CA

Old 11-05-2009, 12:20 PM

371 posts, read 1,822,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Eureka CA
Ah, you're right of course about their main campus... they have a satellite campus in Ft. Bragg, though, and I am more familiar with that.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:25 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,519,970 times
No worries, either one would be herbal!

Old 11-05-2009, 01:26 PM

15 posts, read 22,418 times
Thank you all for your helpful info. i really appreciate it. i'm a native NYer and have never lived anywhere else (besides summers in Baltimore). I'm ready to spread my wings and plant my roots somewhere comfy. I'd prefer a school with housing so that i can make a smooth transition without worrying about finding an apartment. I will apply to SFSU AND SBSU, as well as the Junior colleges you all mentioned. Thank you again for your feedback. This is helping me to narrow down my options. As applications are a bit expensive.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:13 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
san francisco would be the ideal for colleges and commuting via public trans.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:20 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimstuff View Post
I'm a little confused over your statement... you say you're not sure you can transfer in to a UC or CSU unless you can be considered a junior? I've never heard of such a thing... typically those university systems want transfers because they are more likely to finish, have better grades, etc.
I can't say much about those other colleges.... Also, I don't think the entire UC and CSU system has any policy on not admitting lower division transfer students...
System wide at CSU, no there is not a policy against lower division transfers for fall.

But yes at most campuses they are being turned down for Fall 2010 due to the state budget cuts. They want transfers to complete 60 semester units (basically finish all the lower division general ed classes).

The following CSU campuses are not accepting applications from lower division transfers (less than 60 units), but there might be other campuses also refusing lower division transfer students:
Chico
East Bay
Fresno
Fullerton
Long Beach (except for nursing and engineering majors)
Los Angeles
Monterey Bay
Northridge
Pomona
Sacramento
San Bernardino
San Diego
San Francisco
San Jose
San Luis Obispo
Sonoma

More info by clicking the link under transfer info for each campus at:
CSUMentor - Apply Online - Status Report

Old 11-06-2009, 08:17 AM

15 posts, read 22,418 times
Thanks FresnoFacts. I've registered already on the CSUMentor site. That's where I got info about the requirements and limits for transfer. I'm also registered on collegedata.com and the uc application site. I'm doinh all the research I can on each college

Old 11-10-2009, 04:56 PM

405 posts, read 1,345,327 times
The California state system doesn't want JC transfers. They want you the full 4. The UC system, e.g. Berkeley, Davis, etc., are more JC friendly but the academic requirements are far more elevated. You need to make that distinction first because the UC system typically provides campuses more 'self contained' because kids are likely transfers from outside areas. The state colleges are for more local, less qualified applicants living with mom & dad. Having said that, if you're basing your college on the weather you want for 2 years, I think you're already lost. Did you look at out of state tuition?

Old 11-10-2009, 06:25 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,467 times
Actually the CSU's do want transfer students, but with the budget crunch they just now want them to complete 60 units before applying.

At Fresno State about 40% of the students admitted each year are JC transfers, at Sac State JC transfers represent about 50% of the new students admitted each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California