Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 06:55 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,530,240 times

Advertisements

Just wondering... the dmv is daunting.

Just bought a car from priv party, do I actually need to go to a DMV???

I start a new job on monday and can NOT take off to go down there, you would figure they would have saturday hours or something for this... The DMV is also closed tomorrow, and the friday after that. arg.

It looks like I *may* be able to report the transfer title online and pay fees, but not sure.

Has anybody done this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 07:10 PM

901 posts, read 1,899,806 times
Are you a member of the Auto Club? I used them to transfer ownership a few times. Pretty painless - no long lines or hassles. AAA can handle a lot of DMV related services is most states.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:17 PM

no i was previously living in the city so haven't had a car in about 4-5 years.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:51 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,607,839 times
The seller can transfer liability (Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability) online, but the buyer cannot. I'm afraid you'll have to go into the DMV.

For whats its worth, this is all available directly from the horses mouth, on the DVM website: Vehicle Registration and Title Information

Quote:
What to do when purchasing a car from a private party.

If you have purchased a vehicle registered in California, you will need to transfer the ownership within 10 days from the date of purchase. You will need to do and/or have the following:

Visit a DMV office to transfer vehicle ownership. Call 1-800-777-0133 to make an appointment at a local DMV office near you for faster service. You may also make an Appointment(s) online.
A properly endorsed title, also known as a pink slip, with the previous owner's signature on line one. If the vehicle is or was financed, line two of the title will also require a releasing signature. If the title is lost, an Application for Duplicate Title (REG 227) (PDF) must be completed and signed. There is an additional fee for a duplicate title, and signatures of the legal owner and lienholder must be notarized. If the vehicle was not purchased from the owner whose name appears on the title, you will need a bill of sale from each in-between buyer. View the video Title Transfer – Where Do We Sign?
The odometer mileage is required if the vehicle is less than 10 years old.
If the title does not have a designated space for this information, the odometer mileage disclosure must be reported on a Vehicle/ Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262) signed by both the seller and the buyer. The REG 262 cannot be copied. An original must be submitted. To obtain a form by mail, call DMV's automated phone service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-777-0133. To speak to an operator call between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday - Friday, Pacific Standard Time, or pick one up from your local DMV.
A smog certification.
Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of the inspection. The smog certification is not required if a biennial certification was submitted to DMV in conjunction with renewal fees within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date. A statement to that effect must be signed by the seller or the buyer. A vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification.

When you transfer a vehicle that is four or less model years old a smog certification will not be required. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner. When a vehicle is more than four model years old, evidence of a current smog certification must be provided by a seller except when the following occurs:
The transfer occurs between a spouse, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild.
A biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).
Pay the transfer fee.
Pay the use tax, if applicable.
Use tax is calculated based on the sales tax rate in your residence county.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:45 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
I have not bought a car from a private party in years. I always do my DMV's stuff online though.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:27 PM

1200rt, can I have somebody go to the DMV for me? I simply can't take off like that.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:31 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,607,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
1200rt, can I have somebody go to the DMV for me? I simply can't take off like that.
Only if the other person is also going to be on the title/registration, and even then, i think both parties need to be present.

If you make a DVM appointment, it should only take 15 minutes. I'm sure you can do it on your lunch break?

Or .... Get a AAA membership, and do it there (much quicker). Its only like ... $30(?) per YEAR, and you'll want it anyway.

Where in CA are you?

Edit: I see you are in Nor Cal ... i'm sure some smaller DMV's around you are quiet most days. I remember i went into the Bishop, CA DMV, and there were 3 kind ladys in there to help me out. No one else was there.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:12 PM

I can't get an appointment within 10 days...next appointments are like 25 days out. I'll look into AAA. I went into DMV in September for my gf's car, there were at LEAST 200 people in front of us with a line out the door, it took about 2 1/2 hours. This was at Santa Rosa DMV, which I would recommend to avoid like the plague if you can.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:12 PM

901 posts, read 1,899,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I'll look into AAA.
I just looked at their website.

California State Automobile Association - Insurance, Automotive, Discounts, Travel and Road Side Assistance

Basic membership is $54/yr. They can transfer ownership in CA. Some branch offices have DMV services on Saturdays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California