Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 01:18 PM

136 posts, read 379,633 times

Advertisements

They were a pretty good country/rock band that played on weekends at the Sportsman's Lounge on Figuroa, back in the late '70's, as I recall. I remember then pretty well because they got better as a band as the years went by. In particular the lead singer was a born country singer, wish I could remember his name. They had a signature song they always sang called "It's Hard To Say I Love You". Well, that's the part of the song title I can get away with posting here!

Anybody else remember them? Whatever became of the band members?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 05:43 AM

Anybody at all remember them?

Old 12-11-2009, 10:56 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
That was before my time clubbing in the general "Northwestern" part of So Cal. Bands of that genre and / or cowpunk I was aware of were ones like Highway 33 and Blood on the Saddle. I'm probably a bit younger than you (but plenty old, these days - LOL!).

Old 12-11-2009, 02:17 PM

Hmm, I don't seem to remember those bands. But I do remember that Santa Barbara was just starting to be considered "north L.A." a little bit (now, it's a definite thing). Anyway, my Santa Barbara days were the most "smoke filled" days of my life and I used to go to the Sportsman's Lounge to...well, let's call it "meeting girls". Yeesh, I only remember some of those years...!! But Cap'n Crunch & the Deep Cross Cowboys were a damn good band and they got everybody whooped into a frenzy...

Now I'm lucky if I feel like staying up to 10pm!

Old 03-04-2011, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,024 times
I remember them because the lead singer was my uncle John Mallon.He had a crazy beard and ponytail and would visit us on Long Island at holidays sometimes in the 70's.He was from Brooklyn and then moved to Ca. and became Captain Crunch founding the band and writing most of their raunchy songs,He became a animal trainer and raised LLamas in San Diego for 20 years with his wife Kathleen who is a great grand daughter of John Browning the gun designer.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MlazyM View Post
I remember them because the lead singer was my uncle John Mallon.He had a crazy beard and ponytail and would visit us on Long Island at holidays sometimes in the 70's.He was from Brooklyn and then moved to Ca. and became Captain Crunch founding the band and writing most of their raunchy songs,He became a animal trainer and raised LLamas in San Diego for 20 years with his wife Kathleen who is a great grand daughter of John Browning the gun designer.
Hi MlazyM. Wow, so John is your uncle! What an interesting history he has taken, too. I remember the band so well, they used to rock the house every weekend. Of course I was in my 20's at the time so I could take the abuse (all self-inflicted, of course!). Anyway, one thing I remember about the band is that the guitar player - he played a Les Paul, a gold-top if I recall - got MUCH better as a musician during the years I was following them. The drummer was pretty funny, too. He could do a good imitation of a typical A.M. radio deejay.

Anyway, those were good times. Is your uncle John still around? Any chance you could pass on a hello to him?

Old 04-05-2011, 01:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,938 times
Default Where is John?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MlazyM View Post
I used to date John Mallon back in the day. Always wondered what happened to him. Would like to get in touch to make an amends if that is possible.
And I'd sure like to know where the rest of the guys landed. Those were the good ol days!

Old 04-05-2011, 10:32 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
No. But I remember Toad the Wet Sprocket! And Ugly Kid Joe!

Old 04-05-2011, 10:39 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrigette View Post
I used to date John Mallon back in the day. Always wondered what happened to him. Would like to get in touch to make an amends if that is possible.
And I'd sure like to know where the rest of the guys landed. Those were the good ol days!
Try this: John Mallon - Gentling & Training Llamas & Alpacas

Old 05-09-2011, 01:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazboy View Post
Hi MlazyM. Wow, so John is your uncle! What an interesting history he has taken, too. I remember the band so well, they used to rock the house every weekend. Of course I was in my 20's at the time so I could take the abuse (all self-inflicted, of course!). Anyway, one thing I remember about the band is that the guitar player - he played a Les Paul, a gold-top if I recall - got MUCH better as a musician during the years I was following them. The drummer was pretty funny, too. He could do a good imitation of a typical A.M. radio deejay.

Anyway, those were good times. Is your uncle John still around? Any chance you could pass on a hello to him?

70's & 80's in S.B. and at the Sportsman, Chili Factory, Cold Springs Tavern, Art's bar ... Those were great times ! !

John played bass , the gold top Les Paul was played by Neil Gholson , Terry Beckam was on peddle steel guitar and the drummer was ... Brett .. ah ... old age catching up to me .. or was it all the great times at the Sportsman !!
Either way, unfortunately I forgotten Brett's last name ... he did do a great AM DJ ... he actually was one ...

Their "signature" song, "It's so hard to say i love you" song was not an original & 98% of the others were cover songs with .... just slight lyric modifications .....

However "Ladies Home Companion" composed by John, was an original : )

The in-between song jokes and song lyric modifications were done by all the guy's, as far as i know. Very funny material ! !
Do it yourself at home vasectomy ... brought to you by Black & Decker ... etc etc ....

Glad to know John is doing well .. for the rest of the guy's ... no idea ...

Last edited by adn57; 05-09-2011 at 02:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California