Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 10:43 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times

Advertisements

So, I'm looking where to go to jr. college in Santa Maria or San Luis Obispo. I really don't want to drive 30 minutes a day and back to San Luis Obispo wasting gas money from North County. My parent's idea is for me to find a place around $800-$900 with a room mate. Now, I try to tell my parents you can't find an apartment with 2 ppl in it for that price in San Luis Obispo. You can find that price in Santa Maria, and so I would go to jr. college in Santa Maria.

Can I find an affordable apartment in San Luis Obispo to go to Cuesta College, or will I find that affordable housing in Santa Maria and go to Hancock College?

Alternatively, I heard Tropicana Gardens and Foutain Bleu in Santa Barbara is affordable if I go to Santa Barbara City College. Are those apartments affordable?

Last edited by the city; 02-10-2008 at 11:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 11:44 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Alternatively, I heard Tropicana Gardens and Foutain Bleu in Santa Barbara is affordable if I go to Santa Barbara City College. Are those apartments affordable?
I'm no expert, but I've heard that Santa Barbara City College has programs helping with housing costs for students who give up their cars. It might be for certain apartments, etc., not sure. It used to be so that your SBCC student ID doubled as a free bus pass system wide. Tons of savings there. You don't really need a car in Santa Barbara, so consider this (out-of-the-box) option if you can. Good luck.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:50 PM

My dad would argue that Cuesta would offer the same thing SBCC does. I don't see any apartments in San Luis Obispo running $800-$900. I would have to pay half with some one else, and even though my parents offered to help pay the other half just to get me going to Cuesta. There's no way I'll find a good apartment at that price though. I see the prices like that in Santa Maria, and I wouldn't mind staying in Santa Maria and then driving to San Luis Obispo. It's a bit better of a drive.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:17 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
If you want ANY nightlife without having to drive drunk, live in SLO or SB. Not much going on for niightlife in Santa Maria.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:06 PM

I'm looking at cost, not entertainment. Besides, I like hanging out at malls and dating like at the Santa Maria Town Center theater and at their food court.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I'm looking at cost, not entertainment. Besides, I like hanging out at malls and dating like at the Santa Maria Town Center theater and at their food court.
WOW! now thats excitement!! Mountains,beaches,redwood forests and deserts. All within an easy drive of santa Maria and your gonna hang out at the mall? Why bother to come to California at all?

Old 02-11-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
WOW! now thats excitement!! Mountains,beaches,redwood forests and deserts. All within an easy drive of santa Maria and your gonna hang out at the mall? Why bother to come to California at all?
cause I already live in Templeton, Ca. and the nearest community colleges are san luis obispo (30 minutes), santa maria (1hr) and santa barbara (2 hr). I need to find cheap affordable housing while going to a community college. santa barbara seems affordable, and santa maria seems really affordable. but what about san luis obispo?

Old 02-12-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
cause I already live in Templeton, Ca. and the nearest community colleges are san luis obispo (30 minutes), santa maria (1hr) and santa barbara (2 hr). I need to find cheap affordable housing while going to a community college. santa barbara seems affordable, and santa maria seems really affordable. but what about san luis obispo?
SLO is probably going to be about midway between the cost of SB and SM

Old 02-12-2008, 11:58 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,917,836 times
Quote:
My dad would argue that Cuesta would offer the same thing SBCC does. I don't see any apartments in San Luis Obispo running $800-$900. I would have to pay half with some one else, and even though my parents offered to help pay the other half just to get me going to Cuesta. There's no way I'll find a good apartment at that price though. I see the prices like that in Santa Maria, and I wouldn't mind staying in Santa Maria and then driving to San Luis Obispo. It's a bit better of a drive.

How are Cuesta and SBCC offering the same thing? Not true at all. You need to talk to the school you want to attend AFTER city college. It depends on your major. If you were a Bio major wanting to transfer to a UC, do NOT choose Cuesta or Hancock. As an ex undergrad advisor for Bio, the prep at SBCC is MUCH better. The quality of education varies at each school and the University you are transfering to will tell you which cc has the best prep for THEIR school. As an example, when seeing transfer students from Cuesta, Hancock, and SBCC that all took the major prep courses, the only student eligible for upper divison bio courses at UCSB were from SBCC. Now a different major may have a different answer. If I were a college student, I would NOT choose Hancock unless I was planning on living in SM with family. It is not a good area for a single, young college person.

I have many friends at UCSB who are advisors. If this is where you want to transfer, I can tell you who to talk to here.

Jill

Old 02-12-2008, 07:20 PM

My counselors at high school suggested I live in Santa Maria, and go to school in San Luis Obispo. If i could do Santa Barbara I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California