Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you vote for marijuana legalization for adults?
yes 53 75.71%
no 17 24.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:59 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times

Advertisements

I'm on the fence. For one, it's illegal federally and any laws contrary to such are in direct violation of federal law. Secondly, I think it will make Mexican drug cartels more bold as they'll lose their bread and butter and will be forced to make it up elsewhere. Phoenix is already the worlds second worst city when it comes to kidnappings because of Mexican cartels, and other southwestern cities have their own issues because of the drug trade. I don't think anyone wants to exacerbate that problem.

On the other hand, Portugal has had success decriminalizing possession of personal use drugs(producing and selling are still crimes) and seems to have improved their situation with rampant drug abuse and HIV transmission.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:33 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
I'm on the fence. For one, it's illegal federally and any laws contrary to such are in direct violation of federal law. Secondly, I think it will make Mexican drug cartels more bold as they'll lose their bread and butter and will be forced to make it up elsewhere. Phoenix is already the worlds second worst city when it comes to kidnappings because of Mexican cartels, and other southwestern cities have their own issues because of the drug trade. I don't think anyone wants to exacerbate that problem.
Im not so sure about the drug cartels.

People would be able to grow their own and not even need to resort to drug dealers.

Furthermore, there is no drug dealer or drug cartel in the world that is richer or more powerful or more influential than US pharmaceuticals and drugmakers who could easily enter the pot business and own it in a matter of months.

Quote:
On the other hand, Portugal has had success decriminalizing possession of personal use drugs(producing and selling are still crimes) and seems to have improved their situation with rampant drug abuse and HIV transmission.
I oppose the fact that people lose control of their mental faculties. But then I don't drink alcohol either.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:50 AM

58 posts, read 95,663 times
Aside from the federal law issue. If this were to pass, the special interest will lobby/lawyer up and the vote of the people will be overturned.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:14 AM

11 posts, read 39,620 times
I will vote yes.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:12 AM

267 posts, read 1,288,736 times
Default someone smarter than me needs to answer this question

What will happen to all the medical marijuana dispensaries? The answer to that would seem like a no-brainer. But one medical marijuana dispensary owner said 'We aren't worried.' We know that some dispensaries, depending on the location, rack in $5-10,000 a day, give or take. What did the owner mean when she said they aren't worried? Shouldn't the dispensaries be scared out of their wits?

Old 12-17-2009, 10:43 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotornot View Post
What will happen to all the medical marijuana dispensaries? The answer to that would seem like a no-brainer. But one medical marijuana dispensary owner said 'We aren't worried.' We know that some dispensaries, depending on the location, rack in $5-10,000 a day, give or take. What did the owner mean when she said they aren't worried? Shouldn't the dispensaries be scared out of their wits?
Wasn't the initiative created by a dispensary owner? I imagine that the law will require it to be sold through a specially licensed place, like a dispensary, so it will basically be about money.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:20 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Wasn't the initiative created by a dispensary owner? I imagine that the law will require it to be sold through a specially licensed place, like a dispensary, so it will basically be about money.
yes, it was created by an Oakland dispensary owner.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:21 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
I will vote no.

I see no point-for-point comparison to alcohol, the craft of winemaking and brewing beers and spirits. I speak as someone who hasn't gotten drunk in ages but still drinks and can appreciate a good cognac. Yes, certainly there are different flavors of pot that take skill to cultivate, like Bubblegum and Blueberry and Northern Lights, but the high is the purpose.

As for dispensaries, they're a joke. If they're for the (rare, if we're being honest) genuine medical purpose, there is zero monitoring of THC levels. Where's the dosage measurement? Medically, this is fraudulent. I bridle at money-making frauds. It seems only an indicator of worse things to come were pot legalized. Get a better handle on its "legal" outlet first, then I'd consider broader freedoms for it.

I actually surprise myself with this decision. I'm very libertarian when it comes to personal freedoms. But marijuana's value outside of simple drug use is yet unproven, while its consequences as a drug are already known. So even as I philosophically value freedom, there's not enough positive evidence for marijuana to ignore my practical concern about a drug for drug's sake.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:29 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I see no point-for-point comparison to alcohol, the craft of winemaking and brewing beers and spirits. I speak as someone who hasn't gotten drunk in ages but still drinks and can appreciate a good cognac. Yes, certainly there are different flavors of pot that take skill to cultivate, like Bubblegum and Blueberry and Northern Lights, but the high is the purpose.
Agree. One toke of pot and you are high as a kite. Getting drunk off alcohol takes some deliberate effort. The argument is that being drunk is more debilitating than being high on pot, that seems fairly subjective.

Quote:
As for dispensaries, they're a joke. If they're for the (rare, if we're being honest) genuine medical purpose, there is zero monitoring of THC levels. Where's the dosage measurement? Medically, this is fraudulent. I bridle at money-making frauds. It seems only an indicator of worse things to come were pot legalized. Get a better handle on its "legal" outlet first, then I'd consider broader freedoms for it.
Agree. Dispensaries and Medical MJ are a fraud and a joke. How can I support broadly legalized MJ when it seems state and local governments can't even handle the current situation?

Quote:
I actually surprise myself with this decision. I'm very libertarian when it comes to personal freedoms. But marijuana's value outside of simple drug use is yet unproven, while its consequences as a drug are already known. So even as I philosophically value freedom, there's not enough positive evidence for marijuana to ignore my practical concern about a drug for drug's sake.
I am in the same boat. I'll go even farther - I have no problem with MJ being a drug for drug's sake. I voted for prop 215 and now am disgusted at what it became. How can I support legalization if the pro-legalization community can't engage in an honest conversation about regulation and quality control. How can I support legalization when the state and local governments failed completely to prevent the MMJ debacle?

What will the pro-legalization camp do to prevent grow houses from opening in neighborhoods and pot stores on the corners? Answer appears to be nothing. Pro-legalization lobby is in denial and won't even consider that there may be some negatives. They are too rabid and emotional. Until we can have that discussion, I can't support it. Sad thing is I support legalization, and there are probably a lot of people like me who are afraid of the mess that will ensue.

http://www.denverpost.com/rawnews/ci_13994783
http://blogs.westword.com/latestword...ellness_ce.php
http://blogs.westword.com/latestword...spensary_r.php
http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20...ical-marijuana
http://www.noozhawk.com/local_news/a...asion_robbery/
http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20091211/NEWS/912109967/1005&parentprofile=1001 (broken link)
http://www.kdvr.com/news/sns-ap-co--medicalmarijuanarobbery,0,7799200.story (broken link)
http://www.news10.net/news/article.aspx?storyid=57990&provider=top&catid=188 (broken link)
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...-73845607.html
http://lapdblog.typepad.com/lapd_blo...-arrested.html

Last edited by NYSD1995; 12-17-2009 at 11:50 AM..

Old 12-17-2009, 12:00 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
One toke of pot and you are high as a kite. Getting drunk off alcohol takes some deliberate effort. The argument is that being drunk is more debilitating than being high on pot, that seems fairly subjective.
The level of tolerance for alcohol and pot varies from person to person. One toke of pot will not get some people that high, if at all, just as one or two drinks can get some people fairly tipsy. It may be somewhat subjective but it's pretty damn hard to argue that people high on pot are as aggressive, loud, obnoxious, and dangerous overall than someone who is drunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: