Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 11:55 AM

13 posts, read 71,000 times

Advertisements

Hi all. We are interested in checking out some areas near Redding, that are within commuting distance, but out of the super hot summers. We are from northern california, in our early thirties with two young, school-aged children. I work in the legal field and my husband in construction. I have always loved Redding, but don't think I can handle the extreme heat. I did live in Chico for a while, which wasn't too bad. People have told me about Shingletown and Lakehead, but both seem a little far for a commute? Any info about the weather in those towns would be great - snow, extreme heat? Thanks so much! Oh, and we love to snowboard and my husband loves to hunt and fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 12:09 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,757,898 times
Well, if I were moving to Redding. I would live near town, but with a swimming pool. Not a luxury, an essential. The foothill areas are cooler, but then you factor in a commute each day. Not really the N. California lifestyle. It is a beautiful area, and although the summers are hot as blazes, there is great camping and swimming all around. And the winters are surprisingly nice. Not nearly as much fog as the rest of the central valley, including Chico. I personally prefer Chico by a large margin. It is a cool town, with lots of shade and character. Redding has much more sprawl and less character.

I should add that I believe the construction industry is in the dumps there. The McMansion pipeline dried up a couple years back. Not sure where those trades would be in demand right now in California, but worth looking into before making a move.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:26 AM

Default water issues?

Home prices seem so cheap in the Redding area (compared to Humboldt anyway), but I've heard something about "paying for water" and that water is especially important in outlying areas, such as Shingletown. What does that mean? Is the well water spotty? Or does it have to do with forest fires? My dad owns property in Burney and I don't remember anything weird about the water. I love the area over there and would like to enjoy a lower cost of living and some nice weather! For anyone who hasn't lived in Humboldt, it is super expensive, especially considering the lack of jobs and low pay. Even rentals are outrageous b/c people rent them and grow dope in them, so landlords can charge whatever they want. That's the other thing, we are looking to get away from all the pot. I know it's everywhere, but it is LITERALLY everywhere here and nobody thinks there is anything wrong with it.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:58 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,647,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star182 View Post
we are looking to get away from all the pot. I know it's everywhere, but it is LITERALLY everywhere here and nobody thinks there is anything wrong with it.
You certainly won't be moving away from drug related problems by moving to Redding. There are meth and other drug problems in Redding and the surrounding communities also. And there is a lack of good job opportunities.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:49 PM

I realize drug problems are everywhere - towns big and small - but it's different in Eureka. Nobody seems to understand unless they live over here. Pot is accepted as no big deal here - people smoke it openly (about a month ago at Sequoia Park in Eureka, a normalish looking man was with his wife and dogs and was openly smoking a joint right next to my kids. Nobody thought anything of it). And it's not just there's a little meth here - it's everywhere. There is a huge homeless population here and drugs and mental illness are rampant in Eureka. Our DA is very lax and, over the past few years, Humboldt County has kind of turned into a haven for the drug-minded folks. Just about every other house is a drug house (not just in Arcata - I'm talking about Eureka and McKinleyville, too) and the violence associated with that is getting out of hand. There have been a whole bunch of shootings, stabbings and other murders in the past couple of years. I've never seen anything like it. It used to be mainly property crime here, but lately the trend has turned to violent crime as well. I work in the legal field and am pretty up to date on the crime statistics here and it's pretty bad. The sad thing is, is that everyone is so used to the pot and the drugs, it's almost like there's nothing bad about it. It's accepted here. I think a lot of places still frown on drugs, but not in Humboldt County. And, even all that wouldn't be so bad, but you are living in a crime-ridden, drug-tolerant area that has crappy weather and no jobs and housing is through the roof. At least other places with meth and drugs have some pros - like closer to major cities and things to do, nice summers, or cheaper housing. It is a beautiful area over here, but there is very little opportunity for the next generation and the drugs and crime are getting out of hand.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:34 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,757,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star182 View Post
I realize drug problems are everywhere - towns big and small - but it's different in Eureka. Nobody seems to understand unless they live over here. Pot is accepted as no big deal here - people smoke it openly (about a month ago at Sequoia Park in Eureka, a normalish looking man was with his wife and dogs and was openly smoking a joint right next to my kids. Nobody thought anything of it). And it's not just there's a little meth here - it's everywhere. There is a huge homeless population here and drugs and mental illness are rampant in Eureka. Our DA is very lax and, over the past few years, Humboldt County has kind of turned into a haven for the drug-minded folks. Just about every other house is a drug house (not just in Arcata - I'm talking about Eureka and McKinleyville, too) and the violence associated with that is getting out of hand. There have been a whole bunch of shootings, stabbings and other murders in the past couple of years. I've never seen anything like it. It used to be mainly property crime here, but lately the trend has turned to violent crime as well. I work in the legal field and am pretty up to date on the crime statistics here and it's pretty bad. The sad thing is, is that everyone is so used to the pot and the drugs, it's almost like there's nothing bad about it. It's accepted here. I think a lot of places still frown on drugs, but not in Humboldt County. And, even all that wouldn't be so bad, but you are living in a crime-ridden, drug-tolerant area that has crappy weather and no jobs and housing is through the roof. At least other places with meth and drugs have some pros - like closer to major cities and things to do, nice summers, or cheaper housing. It is a beautiful area over here, but there is very little opportunity for the next generation and the drugs and crime are getting out of hand.
Star182,

This post would be good to share on the Humboldt threads that have been popping up like toadstools lately. It seems a lot of people are curious about Humboldt lately. Yes, a beautiful place, but bubbled into the stratosphere. I was amazed to see a near tripling of housing prices from 2000-2006, as population DECLINED. Insane. I am guessing something funny is going on with retiring boomers from the Bay Area moving in and snapping up investment properties. How else could that happen? At present, it seems like a great place to move, buy a home, and lose your shirt.

And the drug problem is definitely in a league of its own. Arcata, in particularly, attracts the dirty hippy poser, dog on a rope, crowd in abundance. Not sure I would want my kid exposed to that. However, I do know many people who live there and love it. And I did too back in the day.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:46 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,520,656 times
Quote:
2. Redding. Downtown Redding started to die in the early 1970s, when the city transformed four blocks on either side of Market Street — the heart of downtown — into an enclosed mall. In a city with 110-degree summers, air-conditioned retail comfort seemed like the right thing. It wasn’t. The mall began to fail almost immediately (a “real” mall opened across town a year later) and most of the forlorn downtown mall still stands, a glum collection of offices, struggling shops and vacant space. There are signs of life downtown today. A new Shasta College health sciences center is replacing part of the old mall, the art deco Cascade Theatre has been refurbished into a performing arts center (full disclosure: CP&DR Editor Paul Shigley served on the Cascade Theatre restoration committee) and there is a bit of genuine investment by the private market. Reasons for optimism? Maybe. Check back in 10 years.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,479 times
You seem to have a lot of information about crime rates and problems in Eureka. Would you be willing to give me information about Eureka and Arcata?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California