Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2010, 02:19 AM

2 posts, read 18,705 times

Advertisements

Our family (with a 2-year-old and a 2-month old) will be moving from the UK to California mid 2010.
My partner will be working in Goleta.
We have already had Mesa, San Roque, Upper East Side and Hope Ranch suggested as places to live but would appreciate more descriptions of these areas and perhaps other suggestions suitable to a young family.

My partner would like an easy commute to work, and I would like a nice, friendly neighbourhood with good pre-schools, child-based activities and walking paths near-by. We will be looking for a 3-4 bedroom house with a gardern.

Any further comments, leads, suggestions (anything!) would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 04:24 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennireid View Post
Our family (with a 2-year-old and a 2-month old) will be moving from the UK to California mid 2010.
My partner will be working in Goleta.
We have already had Mesa, San Roque, Upper East Side and Hope Ranch suggested as places to live but would appreciate more descriptions of these areas and perhaps other suggestions suitable to a young family.

My partner would like an easy commute to work, and I would like a nice, friendly neighbourhood with good pre-schools, child-based activities and walking paths near-by. We will be looking for a 3-4 bedroom house with a gardern.

Any further comments, leads, suggestions (anything!) would be greatly appreciated.
Renting or buying?
What is your housing budget?
Will you be working too, or staying home with kids?
Do you plan on staying in this location when the kids are in school? (Are schools in important now, or, Is moving again when the two year hits school age a possibility?)
Will you have one car or two cars?

Old 01-16-2010, 08:30 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
More Mesa in Goleta is a geat neighborhood with a great beach and has a bike path nearby. The schools around there are very good as my niece and nephew went on to UCLA and Cal from them. It's fairly close the UCSB too.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 18,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Renting or buying?
What is your housing budget?
Will you be working too, or staying home with kids?
Do you plan on staying in this location when the kids are in school? (Are schools in important now, or, Is moving again when the two year hits school age a possibility?)
Will you have one car or two cars?
We will be renting - budget around 3,500 per month.
I plan to work in the longer term but will stay at home with the kids initially. I would like my older child to attend a good preschool half-time come January 2011.
Would like to avoid moving once the children reach elementary school-age (haven't thought about secondary schooling yet) and will have atleast one car - two if necessary.

Last edited by jennireid; 01-17-2010 at 11:52 AM..

Old 01-19-2010, 09:45 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
If you can afford Hope Ranch there is very little in Goleta that will be that high end.

If you discover Hope Ranch to be far beyond your means, then the area near San Marcos High may be of interest.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:03 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,767 times
Goleta is a really nice little town. Hope Ranch is cool but very expensive and especially subject to brush fires in the fall, since they are in the hills with brush.

I would look into Goleta. I remember staying there with friends a number of times and still have semi-connections there.

I believe that the high school there is Dos Pueblos; can't help you with elementary schools but with your budget it should be very EASY to find something great in Goleta.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:11 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,380 times
Cathedral Oaks is pretty cool out by N. Patterson (Goleta). Pretty much stay north of 101 in Goleta...otherwise you're in Gaucho territory pretty much (IV).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California