Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 03:11 PM

53 posts, read 146,698 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am desperate to get back to CA but just can't find anything affordable after much posting in this forum. So I thought I'd bite the bullet and brave Montana's cold weather in return for the nice landscapes and more house. So I checked the rents in Missoula, Mt. Amid the newspaper's reports of 20 car pile ups because of freezing rain, and other wonders, were the rental ads, which were very close to California rents. What on earth justifies that?? Honestly, when I see so many dingy rentals, and the high prices landlords are asking, I just wonder where their greed and self-importance ends. I have never heard a landlord say anything good about tenants who've moved, and I have excellent references (from kissing butt ). It may make some on this forum angry, but landlords are greedy people and one of the main reasons for so much misery and homelessness. And I don't want to hear about your bad tenant in 1900. The fact is, you can evict anyone with a no cause 30 day notice in US, unless they are in gov. hsg. How would you landlords like to have to move and change your whole life and spend thousands with only 30 days to do it!!!
Sorry for the rant. When my old place was sold, I paid 3000 to move a short distance away in the same town. I was lucky I was able to do so, what about the many who aren't so lucky, esp. in this economy.
natalie456
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 03:17 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Is this a rant against landlords or do you have a question about CA?

Old 01-16-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Is this a rant against landlords or do you have a question about CA?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, it started as an attempt to share with others my fascination at finding Missoula, Mt. to be almost as expensive as CA, then my frustrations after 2 yrs of researching places kicked in, and so then to the landlord rant. Feel free to comment on any.
natalie456

Old 01-16-2010, 03:38 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Why not just do a little research on Craigslist and find some places with cheaper rent? They're out there. High rents are usually the result of low rental housing supply, particularly true in lower density areas. You'd probably do better looking for a place in a mid-western city's suburbs.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:40 PM

Is Missoula near ski resorts or natural gas or petroleum extraction? I know parts of Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado had a lot of money pumped into some small towns, driving up prices.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Why not just do a little research on Craigslist and find some places with cheaper rent? They're out there. High rents are usually the result of low rental housing supply, particularly true in lower density areas. You'd probably do better looking for a place in a mid-western city's suburbs.
Or even a small city like Springfield, MO. Its dirt cheap there and they even have an airport.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:45 PM

Missoula is a college town with lots of cool and crunchy amenities. Of course it's going to have higher rents. You want cheap rent, head out to redneck country.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
. You want cheap rent, head out to redneck country.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, thanks for the input. I know this, redneck repub. right wing fundamentalist country is where I am, because I wanted cheap rent,etc. I am trying to find something elsewhere where I can feel more honestly a part of things. You say "of course Missoula is expensive." I disagree, not all towns are so expensive just because they have a college. Nor would everyone agree that what Missoula has are amenities. People are in the cold northwest to get away from the congestion of big, ill planned developements,crime, etc. They are going north because southern places are getting congested, high priced, crime ridden because people from the northeast fled all that and went se and sw. Now the redneck places are starting to get the problems. I've already tried to get into Europe. They aren't that amenable to us unless we have big bucks to put into their economies. Pretty soon they'll have to pave over the moon and we'll all overpopulate that.
natalie456

Old 01-16-2010, 04:08 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
I don't know which CA you're talking about but those sure don't look like California coast (Santa Cruz for example) rent prices to me!!!
I wish!!!
missoula apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

I do however share your outrage about the rental scene aka scheme!!!
It makes me furious.
You should experience Santa Cruz.
I could throttle many of the landlords who are often high end slum lords and don't realize ... do not appreciate ... that i (when i hand them a rent check) am supporting their trip!
Fine, but support mine too!!!
God, don't get me started.
Or do, but at your own risk.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited by coyoteskye; 01-16-2010 at 04:51 PM..

Old 01-16-2010, 04:09 PM

The problem you have is that you want to live somewhere where people are more educated, cultured, and enlightened. Unfortunately a lot of people with money share those characteristics and want to live in such places too. It's the eternal plight of the starving liberal intellectual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California