Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2011, 10:11 AM

32 posts, read 123,345 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm planning a spring break trip to Fresno during the week of March 13-19th and I am in need of some direction regarding agencies that might be good to work with. There will be a group of five people attending and their interest is in learning about public/community health.

I've been having a really tough time getting service projects lined up because I can't get people to respond to e-mails and phone calls.

Is there anybody who volunteers regularly that can recommend good agencies to work with?

Some ideas we had were to work with after school programs, food banks, soup kitchens, literacy projects, park construction projects, etc. Just anything that contributes to the health of the community. We're willing to travel a little outside of fresno if needed.

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 10:41 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,258 times
Have you checked out Poverello House?

Old 02-26-2011, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the suggestion! I just contacted them this morning!

Old 02-26-2011, 12:37 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,312 times
I don't know who you have already contacted but here is a list of a few possibles. There are also local organizations such as Children's Hospital and the VA who look for volunteers but they are less interested in just a few days and also require background checks.

For general volunteer opportunities check these:
Serve Fresno - Mayor Swearengin's Initiative on Volunteerism and Civic Engagement
HandsOn Central California - Be The Change!

For working with the homeless Poverello House is very good, but also try contacting:
Fresno Rescue Mission / We Believe…Building on Faith, Hope and Excellence! Since 1949
Fresno First Steps Home: Ending the cycle of homelessness

And a few other organizations:
Home - Community Food Bank
ccdof.org

If I think of more I'll post them.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 02-27-2011, 12:51 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,312 times
Not a problem.

I just remembered you said you were travelling during spring break. Is this a group of college students?

If so, I wonder if you might get some help from Fresno State. They have a large student service learning component and community service involvement. The campus has received national awards for student community service, over 1/2 the school's students participate in programs like a student organized and operated food pantry for the poor.
http://www.facebook.com/BulldogPantry

You might contact Fresno State's Richter Center for Community Engagement and Service-Learning to see if they would be willing to help students from a different college find a place to volunteer.
http://www.csufresno.edu/cesl/
http://www.facebook.com/RichterCenter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California