Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 12:15 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times

Advertisements

With all the rains this year it is looking to be a great Spring for wildflower blooms. I am already seeing some great condtions along the Central Coast. Here are some recent shots:

Calla Lilies - Big Sur:

Cherry Blossoms - Monterey:

How about your area?

I am looking forward to the Fresno Bloom Trail and Antelope Valley poppies this year. I hear that Golden Gate Park gets some nice Cherry Blossoms in the Spring as well.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 12:47 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
With all the rains this year it is looking to be a great Spring for wildflower blooms. I am already seeing some great condtions along the Central Coast. Here are some recent shots:

I am looking forward to the Fresno Bloom Trail and Antelope Valley poppies this year. I hear that Golden Gate Park gets some nice Cherry Blossoms in the Spring as well.

Derek
Wow, already? Very nice pics! What kind of lens do you use?

One source of flower posts I've used in the last couple of years is the Desert Wildflower Report site. Not too many flowers in Ventura County yet, but lots of dramatic lighting from various storms. Too bad I have to go to work and see it from my window

Old 02-10-2010, 09:16 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,303,611 times
I've seen my black oaks budding already and daffodils popping up perhaps 3 weeks earlier than usual. My Cecil Bruner rose got hammered by the 4 days of sub-freezing weather, but it's breaking it's buds in a big way. I really wanted to get down to the Baja desert this spring to see it in bloom after they got 20 inches of rain from the hurricane last year, but I'm sure all the blooming will be done by the end of March which is as soon as I can get there.

Gotta love Mother Natures way of dealing with adversity.

Awesome as usual Derek.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:08 PM

Thanks for the website jkbatca. Here is another I like which reports on the whole state:

Carol Leigh's Wildflower Hotsheet

DMenscha, thanks for the reports on the the flowers. Gotta love California Winters with snow in the mountains and flowers already starting to bloom in other regions. And you live in between in the Sierra Foothills so I bet you get a bit of both climates.

Derek

Old 02-10-2010, 03:13 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,520,371 times
Our daffodils and crocuses are out, the Sunflowers are beginning to bloom

Old 02-10-2010, 03:44 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,857 times
I haven't had a chance to explore the Fresno County Blossom Trail yet. But the reports are very little in bloom this week, the updates say maybe next week. Updates on what is in bloom on the Blossom Trail are posted here:
http://www.gofresnocounty.com/BlossomTrail/PopUp.htm
Map and events:
http://www.gofresnocounty.com/Blosso...ossomIndex.asp

I've noticed the poppies and other wildflowers coming into bloom on the Freeway 168 right of way thru Fresno and Clovis. Haven't been out to the foothills yet to see what is happening.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:09 PM

Fresno Facts, thats for the response. I am actually wanting to visit the Fresno Blossom Trail for the first time this year. I am really looking forward to it. And things aren't far off now, maybe 2-3 weeks.

any recommendations are doing the trail? Do you have any favorite parts or adjacent areas? I may even head down south for the Antelope Valley poppies. But that might be a separate trip as blooms tend to vary.

Thanks,
Derek

Old 02-10-2010, 04:36 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,391 times
MtnSurfer,

Great pictures!!!..Good to see that spring is on its way for the folks back home.. and yes, Antelope valley is a great experience if you haven't yet been there..As is the Carrizo plain (not sure if i spelled it right lol)..anyhow, There are nice spots along the hway to Pinnicles Nat. Mon.. to get shots of Shooting stars and the Lupins..really nice; and some great spots near carmel which should explode in bloom a little later on..if they haven't yet started..Been a good winter there so there should be many great spots to check out for anyone who loves Wildflowers..

I have pictures from a couple years ago of a spot near where i used to live(south San Jose) in one of my photo albums here.. Spring time is perhaps when CA. is at it's best....Keep on shooting!!

Old 02-10-2010, 05:16 PM

963 posts, read 3,032,559 times
Many Mediterranean climate plants have evolved to start blooming in the wet season so that their seedlings will get a good head start to make it through the long dry season. So there's a continuous gradient between late-fall-to-winter bloomers and actual spring bloomers. Calla lilies (which, incidentally, are not "wild flowers" but naturalized South African exotics), for example, are really winter bloomers. Many of the other South African and Australian plants seen in California are as well.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
Great pictures!!!..Good to see that spring is on its way for the folks back home.. and yes, Antelope valley is a great experience if you haven't yet been there..As is the Carrizo plain (not sure if i spelled it right lol)...
Thanks Si33, I haven't been to the Antelope Valley before, well not during wildlfower season anyway. So I hope to make it over there this year.

Quote:
I have pictures from a couple years ago of a spot near where i used to live(south San Jose) in one of my photo albums here.. Spring time is perhaps when CA. is at it's best....Keep on shooting!!
If you find them and can post them I'd like to see them.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California