Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:22 AM

103 posts, read 205,340 times

Advertisements

thinking about spending 3 days up there with my GF. What have you done there? i love to fish, so that is mos def a thing i want to do. Hiking too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 11:33 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,164 times
or down to big sur.
here's a good link for you.
Big Sur California Chamber of Commerce, Lodging, Accommodations, Camping
i have no fishing experience .... anywhere.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:01 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
It's good to allow three days. I recall a one-day trip,which included lunch at Nepenthe, when the fog was so thick we literally did not see the ocean the whole day. Have fun!

Old 03-03-2010, 01:11 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,523,378 times
Creeks are short and steep, and this time of year are running high, not the worlds best fishing.

All the hiking you can imagine.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:12 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,769,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersguy31 View Post
thinking about spending 3 days up there with my GF. What have you done there? i love to fish, so that is mos def a thing i want to do. Hiking too.
I've never stopped there for very long but have driven the coast a number of times. I have done a few hikes in some of the state parks along the way: Lime Kiln, Julia Pfeiffer Burns, etc.; and I also always stop for a bit at Piedras Blancas to watch the elephant seals. All highly recommended.

I hope to take a camping trip down there this year once the rainy season ends, if I can get a reservation - the campgrounds are notoriously sold out far in advance.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:37 PM

169 posts, read 1,084,819 times
Never had much luck fishing there, but maybe my bait was bad...lol
Being a outdoors person myself and spending plenty of family camping trips
there and around Big Sur, its a great place to go! Might wanna wait till it
gets a bit warmer, much more enjoyable in a tank and shorts, rather than having to bundle
up. they also have horseback riding over there too!

Old 03-06-2010, 05:50 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,021,053 times
Watch for ticks when hiking on the east side of hwy 1. I almost always pick them up when I hike there. It gets old.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:38 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,490,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Creeks are short and steep, and this time of year are running high, not the worlds best fishing.

All the hiking you can imagine.
Hey Clarks! Do the creeks at Big Sur dump into the ocean? Is that what is under the Bixby Bridge? I have always thought the fishing would be good where the creeks enter the ocean. Wouldnt mind giving that a try in July.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:40 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,720,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Hey Clarks! Do the creeks at Big Sur dump into the ocean? Is that what is under the Bixby Bridge? I have always thought the fishing would be good where the creeks enter the ocean. Wouldnt mind giving that a try in July.
LOL, thinking the same thing

Old 03-10-2010, 12:55 PM

8,216 posts, read 16,708,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Dan, do you mean like this:

The one above is on private ranch land with deer and other animals running around right along the river. The challenge is that some of the other rivers/creeks are on private land as well includnig under the Bixby Bridge. So you have to research it some and find out where to go. I know that Andrew Molera SP has a similar river running into the ocean. I don't know about the fishing. I am normally looking for good hiking/photography locations of which there are many!

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California