Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:52 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,315,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And so broke as well! GAS is a Rino and actually, only LA and the Bay Area are democrat. The rest of the state is relatively moderate. But LA is predominently hispanic, the Bay Area's been brain-dead since the early 60s and the state's gone down-hill ever since!
GAS? It's such a cop-out to suggest that 2 geographic regions decide everything in California. But, nonetheless a democracy is majority rules [something Republicans have a hard time accepting esp in California]. Whether the state is liberal or "relatively moderate" is besides the point since it's elected officers are predominately Democratic even when the governor happens to be a Republican. Successful Republicans in California are far more liberal than probably Democrats in your state of Arkansas. It is the people of California that decide what happens here [esp since initiatives are so strongly utilized]. So your leaving California may have something to do with YOU being out-of-sync with Californians! Have a happy life in the South!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 11:01 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
GAS? !
Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger = GAS

Quote:
It's such a cop-out to suggest that 2 geographic regions decide everything in California.
Not if you knew anything about realpolitik in California. Those two areas dominate the Legislature. But what do I know? I only worked politics in Sacramento for the better part of 20 years.

Quote:
Successful Republicans in California are far more liberal than probably Democrats in your state of Arkansas. It is the people of California that decide what happens here [esp since initiatives are so strongly utilized]. So your leaving California may have something to do with YOU being out-of-sync with Californians! Have a happy life in the South!
A few points: 1) I'm not in Arkansas. 2) Despite some southern undertones, Missouri is actually in the mid-west. 3) Even without eye-rolling I'm clearly more in sync with and aware of CA politics than you will likely ever be which explains why I was a "decline to state," not some party hack. 4) If I ever move back to the south I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger = GAS

Not if you knew anything about realpolitik in California. Those two areas dominate the Legislature. But what do I know? I only worked politics in Sacramento for the better part of 20 years.

A few points: 1) I'm not in Arkansas. 2) Despite some southern undertones, Missouri is actually in the mid-west. 3) Even without eye-rolling I'm clearly more in sync with and aware of CA politics than you will likely ever be which explains why I was a "decline to state," not some party hack. 4) If I ever move back to the south I'll let you know how it goes.
Sorry Curmudgeon, I didn't even know you once lived in California but thought you were just another out-of-state poster putting down California [there seem to be many haters toward California]. Of-course you have every right to state your opinion esp having worked for the state of California. My issue is that so many people always refer to "them" [the government] without understanding that in a democracy "them" are who WE elect! You must certainly know, as an ex-Californian, that the voter has tremendous power here & our elected officers reflect the will of the people.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:14 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,285,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballakev View Post
Candidate utters a phrase, and you're sold huh? Guess that's how the village idiot got elected and reelected. Republicans Bush and Arnold promised many things and turned out to be absolutely wrong for the country and this state.

As a Republican, Poizner not even on the radar as far as I'm concerned.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:18 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Sorry Curmudgeon, I didn't even know you once lived in California but thought you were just another out-of-state poster putting down California [there seem to be many haters toward California]. Of-course you have every right to state your opinion esp having worked for the state of California. My issue is that so many people always refer to "them" [the government] without understanding that in a democracy "them" are who WE elect! You must certainly know, as an ex-Californian, that the voter has tremendous power here & our elected officers reflect the will of the people.
No worries. You certainly have that right. And as Pogo so famously uttered, "We have met the enemy and He is us!" People rant and rave about the Legislature then turn around and reelect the same people time and again. And when those run out of time the people elect their family members. State government has become dynastic.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:36 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,194,631 times
Quote:
Brown will likely be California's next governor again even though he is 70 yrs old.
Actually, he will be 72 one week from today. If elected, he would be nearly 73 when taking office. It is not his age that is the concern, it is his ideology and competence.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:14 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,093,996 times
Quote:
Schwarzenegger basically caved in to the unions just like Davis. Unions in California have tremendous power & why the state is so heavily Democratic among other reasons.
the governator didn't cave in to the unions, he put the issues to the voters and we voted all of his propositions down (well, not me, but a whole bunch of other people). since then, he has seen his public dwindle to nearly 0%. i'll give it to him, he did try, but seems to have given up since.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:08 PM

23,059 posts, read 28,770,326 times
Quote:
The unions will always be a force to reckon with. Arnold found out how powerful unions are in California [ie. nurses, police, fire, etc] right after he became governor.
Right on! Recently, in Flint, Michigan, the Mayor, due to budget cuts and population loss, stated just how many firefighters would be axed there.

Next day, there were 10 suspicious arson fires around the city.

Who dunnit?

Good way to set the entire state of CA on fire this summer! Fire some firefighters!

Fire some police officers? Then what? A rash of buglaries in Beverly Hills or Malibu the next day? Oooh! Their jobs would be reinstored in a heartbeat!

Old 04-01-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Right on! Recently, in Flint, Michigan, the Mayor, due to budget cuts and population loss, stated just how many firefighters would be axed there.

Next day, there were 10 suspicious arson fires around the city.

Who dunnit?

Good way to set the entire state of CA on fire this summer! Fire some firefighters!

Fire some police officers? Then what? A rash of buglaries in Beverly Hills or Malibu the next day? Oooh! Their jobs would be reinstored in a heartbeat!
I don't think fire fighters or police are being cut but only limited hiring for the time being. Even the school teachers will not lose jobs but some school days may be cut slightly if I am not mistaken by LAUSD [too bad I live in Pasadena .

Old 04-01-2010, 04:03 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,695,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0t View Post

I'm all for open immigration, just end welfare(natives and otherwise).
Yeah, but possibly 20 million? and monopolized by the country of Mexico. That's where my attitude changed. These people got to just walk right in, while to rest of the world had to stand in line. That's bs.

Repub's wanted the labor, Dem's wanted the voting base. That's the only way I can think of to explain why Democrat and Republican administrations did ZIP. Didn't Reagan grant amnesty? Now we've come full circle and we're going to do it again. Makes me want to pull my hair out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California