Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:02 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times

Advertisements

Maybe folks will finally slow down on the freeway. Hmm, thinking maybe your car insurance may actually go up. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 10:25 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,961 times
Default logic & taxes

I'm not sure I get our logic Dub D. Yes the prison guards pay taxes, but I think you will agree that there are far more prisoners than guards, and those folks used to have jobs, but instead of paying taxes, they are now costing the state for their incarceration. If they were out, or not in prison in the first place, the state would make far more money in taxes from them as a net gain, whereas today, all the state gets is a net cost. Legalization will not only generate taxes, but it will also save on the expense side. One of the reasons the CA law enforcement groups are against this bill is because they fear that it will result in job loss. They don't believe that they will be re-directed to go after "real" criminals. They think that the still financially strapped communities they work for will lay them off and accept a smaller police force. I think they are likely correct in that assessment, but the answer for them must be retraining doing something productive, not continuing the drug war so they can draw a paycheck.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:33 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,961 times
Default Don't lose the day job

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Is that 56% of likely voters? If not, I wouldn't bet on it passing. The biggest proponents may forget to go to the polls or even where they are.
I know you think you asre funny but your not, pathethic example of the apathy you ascribe to others seems about right. . Most people today who imbibe are productive members of society. We have families, we care about our communities, and we look at our taxes going to the failed drug war, and are not happy. Current policies continue to keep cannabis available to minors, ruin lives, and cost valuable resources that could be going toward real solutions to education budget shortfalls, reducing taxes and harm reduction. There is nothing about the current situation to laugh about. Stop trying to perpetuate the silly stereotypes of the past and speak out about the real issues. Its your money, community, and future too.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:48 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,973,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
I'm not sure I get our logic Dub D. Yes the prison guards pay taxes, but I think you will agree that there are far more prisoners than guards, and those folks used to have jobs, but instead of paying taxes, they are now costing the state for their incarceration. If they were out, or not in prison in the first place, the state would make far more money in taxes from them as a net gain, whereas today, all the state gets is a net cost. Legalization will not only generate taxes, but it will also save on the expense side. One of the reasons the CA law enforcement groups are against this bill is because they fear that it will result in job loss. They don't believe that they will be re-directed to go after "real" criminals. They think that the still financially strapped communities they work for will lay them off and accept a smaller police force. I think they are likely correct in that assessment, but the answer for them must be retraining doing something productive, not continuing the drug war so they can draw a paycheck.
Most prisoners have been in and out of prison their entire life's. What job can they really get in the workforce? The government employs alot of people. If they can jobs then there will be more unemployment.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:50 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,723,240 times
I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:52 AM

Seriously though. All conservative / religious thoughts aside...It will likely mean billions in revenue for a cash strapped state. Hopefully, the government won't "F" it up though. Let's face it. We are getting more anxious by the moment. Maybe we'll all mellow out a bit. And hey, alcoholism may go down too. An added bonus?

Old 04-15-2010, 10:56 AM

111 posts, read 156,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
But they dont, they smoke it and ALL smoke causes cancer.
Are you a physician? Obviously not, there is no proof that smoking Marijuana causes cancer, there are no documented cases and it's not "smoke" that causes cancer it's carcinogens from the burning, just like burnt meat is known to cause cancer. It's a chemical reaction, It's not the smoke itself. Tobacco and Marijuana are not the same AT ALL.

This will lower the crime rate pretty drastically.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:00 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
I know you think you asre funny but your not, pathethic example of the apathy you ascribe to others seems about right. . Most people today who imbibe are productive members of society. We have families, we care about our communities, and we look at our taxes going to the failed drug war, and are not happy. Current policies continue to keep cannabis available to minors, ruin lives, and cost valuable resources that could be going toward real solutions to education budget shortfalls, reducing taxes and harm reduction. There is nothing about the current situation to laugh about. Stop trying to perpetuate the silly stereotypes of the past and speak out about the real issues. Its your money, community, and future too.
Really. It's like saying that everybody who drinks beer is some sort of drunk, and it's basically about as ignorant as the kinda thing Temperance folks used to believe during Prohibition. Or as the famous Prohibition crusader Carrie Nation once said, "Men are nicotine soaked, beer besmirched, whiskey greased, red-eyed devils"!

But OK, I will cop to the "red-eyed" part, if I haven't had my coffee yet...

Old 04-15-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Really. It's like saying that everybody who drinks beer is some sort of drunk, and it's basically about as ignorant as the kinda thing Temperance folks used to believe during Prohibition. Or as the famous Prohibition crusader Carrie Nation once said, "Men are nicotine soaked, beer besmirched, whiskey greased, red-eyed devils"!

But OK, I will cop to the "red-eyed" part, if I haven't had my coffee yet...
Temperance? Maybe, in the spirit of generalizations, all those chemicals are needed by men to tolerate certain shrew like people in their lives. I'm just saying...

Old 04-15-2010, 01:08 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,781,549 times
Uh, we are skipping the preface of all of this. Why is it the government's role (federal or state) to tell an indivdual human what he or she can or cannot put into his or her own body?

Protect me as a consumer of goods, like food and drug regulation. Protect me with a military and/or police. Build roads, damns, infastructure. Provide safety-net services for the population at large (like SS, Medicare). Do all of this with my tax dollars that I put in, that is all good.

But do not tell me what I can or cannot do with my own body. If what I do has the potential to directly physically harm someone else, such as driving drunk or high, then arrest me. But there is no reason in hell that I should be worried about being arrested for smoking (or in prohibition days, drinking) in my own house or in areas designated ok by the general public.

/rant over
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California