Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 02:48 PM

17 posts, read 31,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Far enough inland that you'll wonder if you're still in the California you've heard so much about.
Truth. 30 miles inland from San Diego and you will feel like you're in Texas. And I don't mean that in a good way. On the other hand there are many places in the Sierra foothills that are gorgeous where you could live easily on $4K. If you could find work.

Good luck to you and congrats on your debt-free status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 04:23 PM

858 posts, read 1,501,612 times
Haha oh man... I could live on 4k a month EASILY anywhere in California... people these days need a wake up call..

Old 04-28-2010, 05:11 PM

8 posts, read 61,005 times
$4k per month is basically exactly my situation, that's the combined take home for my wife and I, and we live in Santa Barbara, and don't struggle.

It's all about how you choose to live. We don't drink alcohol that much, but we still enjoy eating out ~3 times a week, we have one car, and we rent a good-but-not-great apartment that's less than a mile from the beach. $4k per month take home, and while we don't live extravagantly, the city itself is extravagant and we live comfortably. We add money to our savings every month on that amount of pay, and are quite happy (although my wife really wants a puppy, but other apartments that would allow the dog are quite a bit more expensive than our current place, that's really the only major thing we have given up to live here like we do).

Old 04-28-2010, 06:49 PM

233 posts, read 744,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Would it be possible to live above poverty on $4000 a month after taxes anywhere in southern/central California?

From the research we have done we won't be making more than this for the first year until we finish school and gain residency.

We have no car payments, and no debt, the $4k would be for rent, insurance, food, gas, cell phone, etc.

Hoping to find a decent 1bd apartment/house within a hour of the beach driving.

I also have a good friend who is considering the move as well and would be able to contribute more towards a 2bd if that would work out better?
YES you can find something within your budget in SoCal. For someone in med school, you should apply your research and study skills to finding this information on your own before posting these type of questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California