Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 07:07 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times

Advertisements

My neighbor is a renter. At 4:00AM this morning she was banging on my door, demanding that I cut down the tree in my backyard because the birds were singing and the sound kept her from sleeping. The tree is within my yard. Does she have the right to make me cut down the tree?

I feel she harassed me. How do I stop her from banging on my door in the middle of the night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 08:16 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
She must be a nut case, no she can't make you cut down your tree, if she continues to come over call the police. as long as your tree is not growning into her yard she can do nothing, i doubt the wild birds are whats keeping her awake, it's probably the crank or she's just a complainer who likes the attention.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:06 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,016 times
Contact the owner or like Roaddog suggested, call the police. It's not a renters responsibility to contact a next door OWNER. If she has a problem she should contact her owner, and owner should contact you. She does sound a bit in left field ........ So sorry for you

Old 06-17-2007, 10:38 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
You should start now building a paper trail of complaints about her actions as clearly you think this might be the start of trip to wackoville. If you don't get the documentation down, then you'll be starting from ground zero every time she does something nutty.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:58 AM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,490 times
Some people are just too unbelieveable. *shaking my head*

Old 06-17-2007, 12:42 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
California Law is rather specific regarding trees... I've learned the following from my experiences...

Any adjacent property owner is allowed, without notice, to trim any potion of a tree encroaching, either above ground branches or below ground roots.

There is one caveat though. A neighbors trimming CANNOT kill the tree. In sensitive cases it is recommended that the concerned neighbor hire a licensed tree service, preferably an arborist, to limit potential liability, should the tree die.

Hazardous Tree... If the tree owner has been properly put on written notice that his tree is deemed hazardous by an arborist or city public works, then that tree owner cannot escape liability for any future tree caused damages. Often, the homeowner's insurance company will pay for hazardous tree removal to avoid the possibility of greater expense later.

Hey, on the flip side, you could always show your compassion for your neighbor and buy her a pair of inexpensive ear-plugs...

Also, some cities require a permit and review by city staff prior to tree removal...

Old 06-17-2007, 12:47 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
Birds??? What about those sirens going and guns being shot all hours of the night?? Or helicopters flying at tree level day and night? Birds??? Sounds like you have a real winner for a neighbor!! Good luck!

Old 06-17-2007, 02:50 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Default How about bugs instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
My neighbor is a renter. At 4:00AM this morning she was banging on my door, demanding that I cut down the tree in my backyard because the birds were singing and the sound kept her from sleeping. The tree is within my yard. Does she have the right to make me cut down the tree?

I feel she harassed me. How do I stop her from banging on my door in the middle of the night?
Your neighbor sounds like a good one to keep as far away from as possible. Birds? Maybe with the birds gone she'd enjoy all of the insects instead.

Next time call the cops!

Old 06-17-2007, 06:24 PM

74 posts, read 713,060 times
I would also say contact the owner or the property manager and let them know that the tenent has caused problems. They probably would be grateful to know if it's possible, and it might just get her out.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:34 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,993 times
Somebody comes bangin' on my door at 4am and my house isn't on fire they best have all of their affairs in order and will up to date. What I would do is send her and the landlord a certified letter warning them that you will not tolerate any kind of trespassing and you will prosecute any future incidents. BTW I have bird feeders all over my backyard as they love to eat all kinds of pesky bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California