Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:40 PM

4 posts, read 9,141 times

Advertisements

Yes, I'm considering somewhere around the Everglades or somewhere like that. If I had the money and time I'd go to North Florida or Georgia but I can't. Does anybody know of any good places in the area? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 08:25 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,532 times
I understand you want to go someplace close but this is the hottest buggiest time of year to go to the Everglades. Have you thought about the state parks in the Keys? There are several great ones and the heat will be abated by the breezes. there will still be skeeters and no-see-ums but that's where I would go if I were you.

Go to Floridastateparks.org and check these out:

Bahia Honda State Park (awesome)
Curry Hammock (we haven't been there... yet)
John Pennecamp (Key Largo-also awesome)
Long Key (haven't been there...yet)

At $20-something a night you can't beat it.
The Everglades are great but for maximum enjoyment go when it's cooler weather :-)

Old 06-17-2009, 10:55 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
I have to repeat that last post - By God don't do it during the summer. It's wet and hot and the misquito's will carry you off. Expect violent thunderstorms every afternoon. But you live in Ft Lauderdale so you should know that right? I think you missed your camping window of oppurtunity for this season until at least October.

In winter however it is heaven. Central Florida has some good wilderness camping areas as well. North Florida, if you can make it that far, has some backcountry beach camping sites (that is - walk in to a deserted beach) and some other sites near Tallahassee that, while not mountanous by any extent, are relatively hilly or on river bluffs with great views..

Old 06-17-2009, 02:48 PM

22,317 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Born and raised in Miami here-This is definitely NOT the time to go camping down there. You will get eaten alive by mosquitos and melt from the humidity..

Old 06-17-2009, 06:44 PM

479 posts, read 1,455,478 times
Try one of the state parks on the Atlantic side. Not sure what you're camping in -- if a tent, definitely take a fan with you and get a hookup with electric. Sebastian Inlet is a nice state campground. Or maybe you could make it up to Jetty Park @ Cape Canaveral (private). Here's a guide to all the state parks...

http://www.floridastateparks.org/CampCabinLodge.cfm

Old 06-21-2009, 08:06 AM

265 posts, read 904,416 times
Try Jonathan Dickinson Park in Jupiter or Dupuis in Indiantown. Dupuis is free. Dickinson is very cheap and they have canoe rentals too.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:26 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
From a Florida native.....let me echo what others have already posted.....this is one crappy time of the year to enjoy Florida nature in a swampy area. Not only is it humid and buggy, but it is also the time alligators lay their eggs. Just like humans....the females are extra grumpy this time of year. IF you do go camping, get good advice from a local park ranger as to what areas are safest.

Now, if you pick another time of the year.....Florida has some fantastic parks and camping areas.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:48 AM

265 posts, read 904,416 times
I am going to be horse camping in the Ocala area at the end of July. I am probably going to regret this decision.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:25 AM

767 posts, read 2,065,664 times
Jon Dickinson (near Jupiter)

Barth's Campground (outside Key West)

Old 06-22-2009, 10:35 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,532 times
JDickinson's campsites are closed for next 9-10 months per their website. Renovation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing