Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:09 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times

Advertisements

Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 08:22 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
In my merry group it's pretty much in-laws and out-laws, The best way to meet people who camp in your area is to go camping and mingle.
Try talking friends into going

Old 07-27-2009, 08:24 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Just wondering.
I know a lot of folks at church that are into camping, and friends of mine that I've know for years are, too. I guess it's just a matter of asking those you know in your area if they are interested in camping. Once you find someone that is, it's just a matter of making arrangements to camp with them and you're good to go.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:07 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times
31 views so far so I must not be the only one that is wondering. Now if we only all lived close to each other.

My problem is we live kinda far out and don't have a lot of friends that share the same interest or are in different situations. I was just wondering how other people do it.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:48 PM

672 posts, read 2,113,924 times
I would try meetup.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:34 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
Is there a chapter of the Sierra Club near you. They do lots of day hikes, overnight camping and longer backpacking trips. To go on those you don't have to be a member.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:15 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
My wife and I are sorta loners and usually prefer to camp by ourselves, but we meet lots of local people when we camp close to home. We enjoy camping at our nearby Devils Tower when it's not too hot, and the majority of campers there are tourists, but most of the summer we go to one of the Forest Service campgrounds in the Bighorn Mountains an hour west, and there we see lots of people from our area. We usually visit -- either while we're out walking or while we're sitting around our campfire.

A couple weeks ago two very young men brought some firewood to our campsite. They were our neighbors from 150 yards away, and their parents had seen us come in late and watched me sawing a little wood with my backpack-style bow saw. So we walked up to thank them and ask what we could do for them. We ended up talking for quite awhile. We now know them. Nice family.

There's also a local flyfishing club. I'm not a member but have been to some of their functions and know many of the members. It seems that many of them do a fair amount of camping, so if there's no active local Good Sams Club, there might be a hunting, fishing, hiking or photography club where you'd meet similar-minded people. Many of us started camping as a part of a keen interest in something else. For me it was mostly fishing in the beginning. Then it became mostly for photography, and now it's mostly just to get out and sit around the campfire, cook a little, drink a little, and b.s. a whole lot, but I still try to spend an hour or two a day doing some serious photography. I'm thinking more and more about some flyfishing too.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:26 PM

66 posts, read 156,007 times
Every state has Good Sam Chapters. From the state chapters are many smaller chapters. They meet up or travel together in convoys. Often times we group up and get special discounts from RV parks or events.

We only did it one time in Quartzside, AZ, the RV capital of the world. Just being a Good Sam member gets discounts on RV parks. But we made some good friends we met in our travels. Some we only see one month out of each year.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:46 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVer View Post
Every state has Good Sam Chapters. From the state chapters are many smaller chapters. They meet up or travel together in convoys. Often times we group up and get special discounts from RV parks or events.

We only did it one time in Quartzside, AZ, the RV capital of the world. Just being a Good Sam member gets discounts on RV parks. But we made some good friends we met in our travels. Some we only see one month out of each year.
Wasn't there a club like that for those who owned SilverStreams?

Old 07-29-2009, 02:45 PM

66 posts, read 156,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Wasn't there a club like that for those who owned SilverStreams?
Not for Silverstream but yes for Airstream. It's called the Vintage Airstream Club. I think I can remember seeing some Silverstreams in the Airstream convoys. RVers are not stuck up. They welcome anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing