Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 12:22 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattimarine View Post
I also am looking at AZ for the winter. Im leaving Sitka,Alaska in Dec.Been in my RV since May but now the weather is too cold. Where is this RV park that your at? Sounds like a nice place. I also have a small dog. Are they pet friendly? I was looking at Sedona area. I would like a place that is warm year round. Any suggestions for me?
My first thought is how are you going to get it out of Sitka...We were on the Peninsula

We were at a park on the edge of Casa Grande, it is over 55 so we had to find some place else due to our granddaughter with us and 3 dogs, they only allow 2. We did run across another park that was reasonable that will let you rent with kids or dogs. We are south of Phoenix, between there and Tucson. It is warm...now hot, but looks like a cool down with highs in upper 80's, lows in 60's...very doable If you want more info DM me and I will give you #'s or $ for where we were... There are many campgrounds and parks in AZ, but I hear the 'birds are coming in... I am sure there are a lot of places south, but you are mobile so you can choose where you want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 12:36 AM

11 posts, read 31,660 times
Wink by ferry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
My first thought is how are you going to get it out of Sitka...We were on the Peninsula

We were at a park on the edge of Casa Grande, it is over 55 so we had to find some place else due to our granddaughter with us and 3 dogs, they only allow 2. We did run across another park that was reasonable that will let you rent with kids or dogs. We are south of Phoenix, between there and Tucson. It is warm...now hot, but looks like a cool down with highs in upper 80's, lows in 60's...very doable If you want more info DM me and I will give you #'s or $ for where we were... There are many campgrounds and parks in AZ, but I hear the 'birds are coming in... I am sure there are a lot of places south, but you are mobile so you can choose where you want to be.
I will be taking the Ferry to Bellingham and coming down I-5 to 101 doing the coastal route through oregon and cali. Im looking for warmer, dryer weather. Kind of looking for an RV park that has all ammenities and nice weather. Im not 55 so those parks are out for me. Ive been scouting the RV parks and have found a couple that might be promising. I guess I will just have to drive around.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:50 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Quote:
I will be taking the Ferry to Bellingham and coming down I-5 to 101 doing the coastal route through oregon and cali. Im looking for warmer, dryer weather. Kind of looking for an RV park that has all ammenities and nice weather. Im not 55 so those parks are out for me. Ive been scouting the RV parks and have found a couple that might be promising. I guess I will just have to drive around.
You can try a google search for parks in the area you might want to be....I will look, as there is an park site that does reviews for a lot of them, or maybe someone else here knows of it...I have to agree, I wasn't really impressed with the 'over 55' thing, I'm not either, but the hubby is, so he got us in,...good thing it was a ghost town when we were there and the pool was great

Old 09-29-2009, 02:10 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
You can try a google search for parks in the area you might want to be....I will look, as there is an park site that does reviews for a lot of them, or maybe someone else here knows of it...I have to agree, I wasn't really impressed with the 'over 55' thing, I'm not either, but the hubby is, so he got us in,...good thing it was a ghost town when we were there and the pool was great
Is this this link you are thinking of: RV Park Reviews :: Home

Also, don't limit out the 55+ parks just because you are not 55. Hubby and I, both in our 40's, have enjoyed staying in many 55+ parks. We actually own a lot in one. The big item with those parks are that there are not a lot of "family" activities. So usually no playgrounds, and kid things. But we have met many wonderful folks, and since it is just the two of us since the kid is grown, we've never been kicked out, nor declined entrance because of our age. I can't speak for AZ, but in FL a specific percentage of renters/owners must be 55+ to keep their status as a 55+ park, but by law, they can't discriminate because of age. They can however; say no one under a specific age in their by-laws (usually under the age of 21). My advice... find a park you would like to try, but don't agree to any long term commitments until you are sure that is where you want to be. That's a big advantage to RV living. You can always pick up and move if you don't like something.

Sorry I can't help with specific $$'s. We travel with my husbands job so we are at the mercy of the contractor he works for. They tell us where to go location wise, and we then must find the best available RV spots in the area, and many times are at the campground/RV parks mercy. I will say this however, monthly rents have ranged from a low of 300.00 per month all utilities included, to 1200 per month + utilities. It can be very economical at times. And if you hit a peak season like AZ or FL in the winter you can get ripped if your not careful. Just do your homework and you'll be fine. Safe travels!

Last edited by aus10; 09-29-2009 at 02:22 PM..

Old 09-30-2009, 01:27 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
We've been full-time RVers, since Labor Day '08, just over a year. We'll do it until next August, and will then sell the rig and decide where we want to move, or stay in WA. You can "see" our travels by visiting our home page, listed on my profile.

It's been the experience of a life-time. It's not what we expected, and I am still glad we did it. After next year, I don't think I will ever step into another RV as long as I live, but I will cherish the memories!

Old 09-30-2009, 02:53 PM

Question Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
We've been full-time RVers, since Labor Day '08, just over a year. We'll do it until next August, and will then sell the rig and decide where we want to move, or stay in WA. You can "see" our travels by visiting our home page, listed on my profile.

It's been the experience of a life-time. It's not what we expected, and I am still glad we did it. After next year, I don't think I will ever step into another RV as long as I live, but I will cherish the memories!
So I have to ask are you staying in Wash at an RV resort for the winter?
Im just curious.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:55 PM

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Is this this link you are thinking of: RV Park Reviews :: Home

Also, don't limit out the 55+ parks just because you are not 55. Hubby and I, both in our 40's, have enjoyed staying in many 55+ parks. We actually own a lot in one. The big item with those parks are that there are not a lot of "family" activities. So usually no playgrounds, and kid things. But we have met many wonderful folks, and since it is just the two of us since the kid is grown, we've never been kicked out, nor declined entrance because of our age. I can't speak for AZ, but in FL a specific percentage of renters/owners must be 55+ to keep their status as a 55+ park, but by law, they can't discriminate because of age. They can however; say no one under a specific age in their by-laws (usually under the age of 21). My advice... find a park you would like to try, but don't agree to any long term commitments until you are sure that is where you want to be. That's a big advantage to RV living. You can always pick up and move if you don't like something.

Sorry I can't help with specific $$'s. We travel with my husbands job so we are at the mercy of the contractor he works for. They tell us where to go location wise, and we then must find the best available RV spots in the area, and many times are at the campground/RV parks mercy. I will say this however, monthly rents have ranged from a low of 300.00 per month all utilities included, to 1200 per month + utilities. It can be very economical at times. And if you hit a peak season like AZ or FL in the winter you can get ripped if your not careful. Just do your homework and you'll be fine. Safe travels!
Thank you Grannyroost for the great information.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:08 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,684 times
Quote:
So plans, where are you going to go first? Share please....
Our current plans are spending time in Florida this winter visiting old friends and traveling around the state, staying a few weeks in different areas until spring. Over the winter we will be mapping out travel plans. My wife has talked about the Grand Canyon for years so I know it will be on the list of places to visit.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:03 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
Quote:
So I have to ask are you staying in Wash at an RV resort for the winter?
Im just curious.
No, we haven't been back to WA since we left over a year ago. We started in ID, worked south to AZ for Christmas, headed east to northern FL, and then worked our way north to ME, Quebec, and the New England states for the summer.

Since then, working back southwest of the Erie Canal, we've hit NY, PA, OH, IN, IL, WI, the UP, and now MN. We leave Duluth on Sunday, and are working our way south to the Keys by end of February. We'll head back to Tucson in March, and then plan to work our way north to return to WA by next August.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,310 times
Exclamation towing a 29 ft camper what truck to buy

I PLAN ON DOING SOME CAMPING THIS SUMMER IN N.H And i might pull the camper 6-8 times maybe 150 miles round trip.So what i need to find out will a 1500 dodge ram 5.7 pull A 29 ft hornet 10,000 lbs safe or do i need a 3/4 ton truck or will a half ton do the job??? The camper was just gifted to me so new to all thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing