Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:37 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albianstar View Post
i am canadaian with claim to us dual, i wouldlike to live there and work part time so dual is what i need
but the health care aspect scares me
what has been your experince/cost?
I'm self-employed (in the U.S.) and carry a private healthcare PPO policy. The premiums have DOUBLED in three years.

In addition, the insurance doesn't cover all of my costs. I recently had minor surgery costing somewhere in the area of $7,000, of which I'm liable for just under $2,000.

As far as I'm concerned, health insurance is America's answer to Canada's GST. In the U.S., we don't pay the government -- we pay private hospitals, labs, medical equipment manufacturers and unscrupulous, unchecked, for-profit pharmaceutical companies instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 08:43 AM

384 posts, read 1,709,890 times
The United States is one of a few countries that double taxes. However, there are exemptions that can be taken into consideration. For instance, if your primary residence is in another country and you pay taxes there and that country's taxes are higher than that of the United States, you may be exempt. There are conditions in which we as American citizens DOES have to pay taxes, but the list of exemption plus the NAFTA can exempt an individual from double taxation.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:53 AM

23 posts, read 109,835 times
There is a treaty between the US and Canada. Under the treaty IRS will give you a credit for all taxes paid in Canada, thus if you make 100K and pay 35% tax in Canada, IRS will give you 35K tax credit. You will not have to pay two taxes, you only have to file them meaning report to IRS how much you made and how much tax you paid. The complication arises once you get to subjects that are tax free in Canada and taxable in the US, for that I suggest you talk to a professional accountant who specializes in treaties.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:51 PM

232 posts, read 736,302 times
Default Seems impossible to move to Canada from US

I've been researching this since 1995. I have wanted to move to Canada for years from the US (Minnesota). Here's what I got out of the information as far as moving there - those who are knowledgeable about current information feel free to correct me.

You have to have a lot of money. You have to have all your debt in the US paid off. You have to have a lot of higher, post-graduate education; jobs are ones that are so unique that they can't even find Canadian citizens to qualify for the requirements. You can't 'just marry someone' and move there. It does help if you already have family there. Even if you do have a degree, the type of degree weighs very heavily on your chances of getting 'accepted'. You have to have a lot of money in savings to ensure you won't be a burden on Canada's social services. In essence, you can't just 'move to Canada' like you could move to Alaska.

I would still love to live there but these are requirements that I'm never going to qualify for. And that sucks. In Minnesota we have people who don't speak English (and can't read English) and are here illegally, have no passion for living here, and even get drivers licenses. Somethings wrong with how things are done.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:22 PM

23 posts, read 109,835 times
Actually marrying someone with the Canadian citizenship will insure you get landed immigrant status in Canada. Today rates about 15-20K for a marriage partner.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:56 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Default Ummmmm, No

Quote:
Actually marrying someone with the Canadian citizenship will insure you get landed immigrant status in Canada. Today rates about 15-20K for a marriage partner.
Speaking as someone who has actually been through the spousal immigration process recently, simply marrying a Canadian citizen does not guarantee an person acceptence as Permanent Resident.

A foreign citizen who marries a Canadian must still go through the Permanent Resident application process with all the applicable security checks, health checks, etc.. The application forms state quite clearly that acceptence is not guaranteed.

Most Canadian immigration questions are addressed on Citizenship and Immigration Canada's web site:

Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Old 09-23-2007, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 109,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirill View Post
There is a treaty between the US and Canada. Under the treaty IRS will give you a credit for all taxes paid in Canada, thus if you make 100K and pay 35% tax in Canada, IRS will give you 35K tax credit. s.
This is incorrect. It is not a dollar for dollar credit. The tax is divided up by categories. You can still owe the US tax if you fall short in a given category, even though overalll you have paid more than necessary in Canada to cover your US total. Plus there are tax breaks that the US recognizes and Canada doesn't and vice versa. Plus the US has things like a minimum capital gains tax.

The bottom line is that US citizens will end up owing something, although not much, to the US.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:10 PM

2 posts, read 10,705 times
Default confused

so I am confused
I was born in the US, I am going down for a trip in January.
I have only lived there for somthing like two years.
I just read this article

The Winnipeg Free Press Online Edition (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/subscriber/canada/story/4057834p-4662346c.html - broken link)

this has me concerned now that I could get dinged with some huge tax bill and possibily be stopped at the border....

It makes no sense to me when I have never made any money there.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:57 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
I'm just pointing out that, broadly speaking, Americans pay taxes based on their status as a U.S. citizen, not a as a U.S. resident. It's a totally archaic policy, reminds me of fiefdoms, or something, but that's the American way.
The U.S. Government is very greedy. Some of the Canadians are complaining about the 900 number that charges #¢/min to talk to US Immigration.

Apparently there is a theory out there that the state owns the labor of it's citizens. What happened to the doctrine that government exists to serve the people, not the other way around? It's basically slavery. The serfdom doesn't apply with rich or connected people. They will always have free mobility. Wonder why Michael Jackson could escape to Dubai easily, which would require a visa to even visit?

The common person doesn't have that free mobility. They are raised as serfs, having no interest or knowledge of what goes on outside of the fief. They are only interested in living within the fiefdom since they were programmed to be scared living somewhere else. Natives are prized since they can be programmed from birth and that fact can be a status symbol to divide natives from non-natives. Why do you think the U.S. Constitution requires that the President be native-born?

The immigration debate promulgated by the Republican party and Conservative talk-radio plays on the sheeple's (Natives') ignorance of immigration laws and the process. It was also to give the party a high-ground for majority control, which failed miserably. This is being done deliberately to conquer and divide the serfs so they don't demand the rights the elite have.

Why is it easier to move from Boston to Seattle than from Vancouver to Seattle? Can you imagine the outroar if the process to move from Boston to anywhere required migrant paperwork (government permission)? Why don't I hear the outrage coming from Pacific Northwesterners?

Last edited by KerrTown; 10-18-2007 at 11:10 PM..

Old 10-21-2007, 11:11 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times
Aside from marrying a Canadian, how else can a dual citizenship be obtained?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada