Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:29 AM

701 posts, read 1,901,132 times

Advertisements

Is EVERYTHING likely more expensive in Canada than in the US.
My friends visiting from the US were shocked in finding the price tags on stuff here ranging from grocery to electronics to designer clothes.

Let's not get into healthcare. For one, it is a different system and eventually is paid by my own income tax, for two, it is better only for those who can't afford good insurance (low income/unemployed), so it is hard to compare $ to $ in a general sense.

Housing is not cheaper either if we compare apple to apple. So what's cheaper here, and if not, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 10:43 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Medication and out-of-pocket dental care. That's about it. And daycare - but only in Quebec.

Living in Canada rather than the U.S. isn't really a cost issue for most people anyway.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:27 PM

287 posts, read 1,010,629 times
It really depends on the value of the Canadian dollar, which as we know goes up and down.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:04 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,540,464 times
Lap dances at the Windsor strip clubs. Or so I'm told. I wouldn't know anything about that.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:18 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,882 times
Compared to some areas I've lived in in the US - groceries are cheaper in Ontario, especially fresh fruits and vegetables. I don't really understand why - I live in Ohio now, but when we go back to Ontario, the price difference surprises me.

Other than that... I can't give you many examples, sorry. The US is cheaper.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:49 AM

409 posts, read 1,459,601 times
I posted this a little while ago, hopefully all of the links still work:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Derf View Post
Once you convert the dollar there isn't much of a difference. Books is probably the worst deal in Canada. The same book will cost 11% more in Canada once the dollar is coverted. A Starbucks tall nonfat latte is actually cheaper.

Canada-U.S. price gap narrows
BMO economist says strong loonie and consumer outcry helped close gap to 6.8% from 18% last year
Jul 30, 2009 04:30 AM
Madhavi Acharya-Tom Yew
TheStar.com | Business | Canada-U.S. price gap narrows

http://media.thestar.topscms.com/ima...3b0efba78.jpeg

Old 09-03-2009, 01:18 PM

4 posts, read 21,327 times
Anything that is not grown or made here is going to be more expensive. (And some stuff that is made here, is still more expensive here than in the USA) Usually, if we have something here that is also in the USA, then we're importing the goods, and therefore making it more expensive for Canadians.

But here's the kicker... I live in Winnipeg; and Gimli, only a 45 min drive away, is the home of Crown Royal (Premium Whiskey/Rye)... which sells for a ridiculous price here for a 26oz bottle, and when I head to Grand Forks I can pick it up for at least 10-15 dollars cheaper. Damn Manitoba Liquor Commission, means no competition = higher prices.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:26 PM

409 posts, read 1,459,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJerlo View Post
Anything that is not grown or made here is going to be more expensive. (And some stuff that is made here, is still more expensive here than in the USA) Usually, if we have something here that is also in the USA, then we're importing the goods, and therefore making it more expensive for Canadians.

But here's the kicker... I live in Winnipeg; and Gimli, only a 45 min drive away, is the home of Crown Royal (Premium Whiskey/Rye)... which sells for a ridiculous price here for a 26oz bottle, and when I head to Grand Forks I can pick it up for at least 10-15 dollars cheaper. Damn Manitoba Liquor Commission, means no competition = higher prices.
It isn't the lack of competition, in Canada we have fairly high "sin" taxes to discourage the use of non-healthy products like alcohol and tobacco.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:27 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,420,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
Is EVERYTHING likely more expensive in Canada than in the US.
My friends visiting from the US were shocked in finding the price tags on stuff here ranging from grocery to electronics to designer clothes.

Let's not get into healthcare. For one, it is a different system and eventually is paid by my own income tax, for two, it is better only for those who can't afford good insurance (low income/unemployed), so it is hard to compare $ to $ in a general sense.

Housing is not cheaper either if we compare apple to apple. So what's cheaper here, and if not, why?
I really disagree. Real Estate in Canada is generally less expensive per square foot than in the United States.

Products here in Canada are also coming down in price and our cost-of-living is at an all-time low with the Conservative Government.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:28 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,233,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Derf View Post
It isn't the lack of competition, in Canada we have fairly high "sin" taxes to discourage the use of non-healthy products like alcohol and tobacco.
I think it's because of the free health care, unlike the US, they are more vested in you staying healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada